Advice Needed on Straining

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Advice Needed on Straining

Postby KT810 » 03 Oct 2017, 13:12

Hello all,

Longtime lurker, but finally signed up and posted for the first time on the Intro thread.

Question about straining. I am currently experiencing my second ever AF, which went into full blown effect late Sunday night/early Monday morning. In the middle of the night, I strained way too much (I was straining too much starting Friday evening) and think the AF occurred then, as small, hard and dry stools came out with intense pain, followed by blood on my wet wipe/toilet and the oh-so-wonderful spasming. I felt more stool near the tip but I stopped trying to pass them because of the pain/blood.

Fast forward to today- since yesterday I've upped my water/fiber intake (my diet has not been great in the last week due to guests in town- hence the hard stools Friday through now) and started on Dulco Ease stool softeners (took them 3 times yesterday, twice so far today). I also did a sitz bath as well as a fuller bath with coconut oil.

I haven't had a BM since my AF occurred late Sunday night/early Monday morning (so now about 36 hours). I know something is there, but I am afraid to pass anything because of straining. I've tried passing it twice with extremely little/no straining but nothing except pain has occurred so I immediately backed off.

My question is, should I push a little harder (despite the pain) to clear out my bowels? Or would I best be served by hoping that the stool softener does its job, along with the fiber and water I am consuming? Am I being too impatient? I've never had to use a stool softener before so I'm not sure how long it usually takes to work (I know everyone is different). I am afraid if I leave the stool in there too much longer, it will become impacted or harder to pass.

Thanks so much for any input/advice you can provide. Have a great day!

Kristin
KT810
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Advice Needed on Straining

Postby patience_and_healing » 13 Oct 2017, 00:10

Your situation sounds really torturous, I'm sorry. Can you get your doctor to prescribe nifedipine or diltiazem ointment? Applying it about 20 minutes before a bowel movement might help with not having to strain so much. Another option is muscle relaxants but I don't know much about whether they will help. A sitz bath beforehand could also help with the BM afterwards, until you can get medicine prescribed.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40