got the Flu before surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

got the Flu before surgery

Postby Nora89 » 13 Oct 2017, 06:41

hi guys
I will have my LIS next wendsday
But i got sick today and i fear that they will cancel my surgery !
and i cant risk being uneder general asthenia when i am sick , i read that it might cause pneumonia.
I dont know what to do .. i think i will ask for local anesthesia but i dobt know if its as effective as general anesthesia?!

What should i do :/ ?!
Nora89
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: got the Flu before surgery

Postby chachacha » 13 Oct 2017, 09:45

I'm not sure that the decision will be up to you (other than cancelling out completely), because most surgeons like to perform their surgeries under certain conditions and won't deviate. I'm sure that mine, for instance, would never have done the procedure under a local (as I had requested), because he only works with the patient "out" and that's that. If I had been too sick on the day, he would just have rescheduled, not changed his method of anaesthetic. You can obviously contact them to see what they say, and should do, so that they know that you're unwell, but it will be him or her who will decide if they want to proceed or not, but you can always back out too, if you're worried.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby kevinpdx » 13 Oct 2017, 17:40

I had the same happened to me, I got sick 3 days before my scheduled surgery and was afraid it was going to be canceled. Not sure if it was the flu or the cold. Here's what I did, got a lot of rest and ate very healthy to give my body the best chance to heal. On the day of the surgery, my symptoms improved but I wasn't 100%. I told my anesthesiologist and he wasn't concern. Since the surgery was only going to last 10mins, he said he would be putting me under but it's not general anesthesia. The benefits is that my recovery time would be better and less side effects. They rolled me into the operating room and within a min, I was out. The next thing I knew, I woke up in the recovery room with No side effect from anesthesia. Talk to your anesthesiologist to see if that could be an option. Good luck.
kevinpdx
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Nora89 » 15 Oct 2017, 04:24

chachacha wrote:I'm not sure that the decision will be up to you (other than cancelling out completely), because most surgeons like to perform their surgeries under certain conditions and won't deviate. I'm sure that mine, for instance, would never have done the procedure under a local (as I had requested), because he only works with the patient "out" and that's that. If I had been too sick on the day, he would just have rescheduled, not changed his method of anaesthetic. You can obviously contact them to see what they say, and should do, so that they know that you're unwell, but it will be him or her who will decide if they want to proceed or not, but you can always back out too, if you're worried.

My surgeon told me that he prefer general but he said its my choice if i choose to
i will contact them today and see whay my options are !
Nora89
Fibre Addict

Postby Nora89 » 15 Oct 2017, 04:27

kevinpdx wrote:I had the same happened to me, I got sick 3 days before my scheduled surgery and was afraid it was going to be canceled. Not sure if it was the flu or the cold. Here's what I did, got a lot of rest and ate very healthy to give my body the best chance to heal. On the day of the surgery, my symptoms improved but I wasn't 100%. I told my anesthesiologist and he wasn't concern. Since the surgery was only going to last 10mins, he said he would be putting me under but it's not general anesthesia. The benefits is that my recovery time would be better and less side effects. They rolled me into the operating room and within a min, I was out. The next thing I knew, I woke up in the recovery room with No side effect from anesthesia. Talk to your anesthesiologist to see if that could be an option. Good luck.

Can you tell me what type of anesthesia you had ? Because i still have some cough and i want to undergo the operation but not under general anesthesia if there is another option
Nora89
Fibre Addict

Postby kevinpdx » 15 Oct 2017, 09:01

I can't remember the name, but try describing it to them. It was through IV. I was only knock out for the duration of the surgery
kevinpdx
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Nora89 » 17 Oct 2017, 04:03

kevinpdx wrote:I can't remember the name, but try describing it to them. It was through IV. I was only knock out for the duration of the surgery

I will call to ask them about that
Thanks a lot kevinpdx
Nora89
Fibre Addict

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?