Hemorrhoid Banding Diary

My rubber band ligation experience

Do you have Hemorrhoids and are contemplating or have had a Hemorrhoidectomy? If you are thinking of surgery, or want to ask questions on anything to do with Hemorrhoids, or want to share with others who have been through this, this is the place!

Return to Hemorrhoids and Hemorrhoidectomy

Re: Hemorrhoid Banding Diary

Postby Dnank » 10 Oct 2017, 18:50

Today is day seven after the procedure and my first decent day. Much improved. I just had a bm which was difficult and painful. I expect the burning and pain to come soon. Hopefully it won't be as bad as last time. There was about the same amount of blood as last time. I didn't see any bands. Still eating lightly and hoping to only have to go every other day. Overall, I seem to be improving finally.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Dnank » 11 Oct 2017, 22:38

Day eight was good until I had to go. Very painful and difficult. I go through times where I have to push hard and it's just difficult to go. It isn't that hard or dry, I just have to push hard to go. Its very unpredictable. It doesn't seem to correspond to what I'm eating. It might be because I'm backed-up. I probably didn't go soon enough after the procedure. It's only the third time since. When things are good, I go daily.
The pain was mostly just after and it was a stinging pain. It only lasted about 10 minutes. So far the after-pain hasn't been that bad and it's been over two hours. There wasn't any blood.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby Dnank » 13 Oct 2017, 16:52

Days 9 and 10 were good. I feel less and less pain in there. Still a little all the time but not bad at all now. No bm yesterday but had one about an hour ago and it was much better than the last time. I've been taking miralax for a couple days now and that really softens it. I didn't have to push much. I also added a little extra fiber for the last two days (one gummy supplement per day) and magnesium. I wish I would have started all that a couple days sooner. I'm still only eating about half my normal amount. No blood in the stool again. Everything seems on track to full recovery within two weeks.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby Dnank » 15 Oct 2017, 20:42

Day 12 and progress has slowed but I would say I'm 90% back to where I was before the banding. Seems like I'm on my way. For me it takes two weeks to get back there, but the first five days are the worst, by far. Very similar experience this second time around but maybe a little easier this time. I'll probably write one more entry in this diary after a week or two to report about the success of getting rid of the hemorrhoids altogether, unless I take a turn for the worse. I still feel some discomfort there during and after bm but it is different than before the procedure. Hopefully they go away completely soon.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby Dnank » 20 Oct 2017, 09:43

It's been 17 days since I had the banding. I think I recovered from that but now I have a fissure. I noticed it about 4 or 5 days ago. I'm not sure why that happened when it did after the banding, but it is terrible to experience this again. I got a fissure from the last banding procedure a year ago but I could tell I had it within a couple days after the procedure. It went away in two weeks which was great because they usually last longer.

I'm thinking I might have one now because of the hydrocortisone suppositories I was taking for a week after the banding in combination with a few difficult BMs. My BMs are much better now so hopefully it will go away soon. I started taking miralax daily about a week ago. It really helps keep it soft and consistent. Now I just have to wait it out. The day before yesterday I had a large bm and the spasm pain lasted for 8 hours. It was terrible. I went again an hour ago and am starting to feel some burning.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby William2 » 21 Oct 2017, 06:42

I'm sorry that you're having to go through so much. Hopefully, the fissure goes away quickly like last time.
8/09 - 12/10: fissure, cured by LIS/fissurectomy
1/17 - present: fissure/hemms, healed but pain remained, 3 CRSs (nifedipine, infrared coag) were no help, cold dilating >= 1" helped but still have pain when sitting
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 24

Postby Dnank » 31 Oct 2017, 14:35

It's been 4 weeks since the banding. I'm still struggling with some pain and can't seem to get back to normal. I'm not sure if it's hemorrhoids, the fissure or both, but I'm not having the really bad spasm pain associated with the fissure now. It's much better but still lasts for many hours after a bm. From my experience and what I've read, that isn't normally associated with hemorrhoids. I'm also having blood during most bm's, especially during the last two when it was more than normal.

I was out of town for a week and things were good at first when I could continue my routine, but then it gets difficult to maintain that while away from the home and a difficult bm comes along and sets me back. Anyway, I'm back home this week and hopefully can continue to heal before I go out of town again this weekend.

I just want so desperately to be able to have a normal bm.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby Dnank » 09 Nov 2017, 14:37

It's now over 5 weeks since the banding. I still have some pain during bm on the left side followed by hours of burning. The after-bm burning is less and less intense, I think because I have been able to keep my bm's soft. It's very slowly getting better, but I think if I have one bad bm I'll be back to a lot of pain.

I'm still not sure what is causing the pain. It must be either hemorrhoid or fissure. I usually have blood during bm but sometimes none if I'm able to go without straining. If I had to guess I would say this problem is hemorrhoid related and not a fissure, but the after-bm burning has me questioning that. Also, internal hemorrhoids aren't supposed to hurt. I guess it doesn't matter at this point. I'm just focusing on keeping my bm's soft so I don't have to strain to go. Daily Miralax (recommended dose with meal) and Magnesium Citrate (100mg twice a day) is working for me.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby Dnank » 15 Nov 2017, 15:39

It's been 6 weeks and I'm 90% back to normal. BMs are much better. I still see light blood on the toilet paper but there's very little pain now. I think it's still getting a little better with each soft bm, although they aren't all soft. It seems like I'll always struggle with constipation, which in my case means difficult BMs that require some pushing. It looks like I'll have to take Miralax for the rest of my life to keep it from causing problems. At least that stuff really works for me.

Hopefully this is my last entry. I don't plan to update this diary any more unless I have problems with hemorrhoids again.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby Dnank » 07 Dec 2017, 10:43

It's been kind of a roller coaster ride since my last post. The hemorrhoid got bad at a couple times with a lot of blood and pain, but there's been slow improvement over the last couple weeks. I definitely still feel it immediately after a BM, but I'm not having burning pain for hours after like I was before. My BMs have been a little difficult as mine often are, requiring more pushing than I think they should. I just can't figure out why that is. Miralax and magnesium citrate keep it acceptable. I really don't want to have another banding but I probably will if it doesn't go away.
Dnank
Salt Bather