Private LIS surgery in UK

Private LIS surgery in UK recommendations.

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Private LIS surgery in UK

Postby Stuart » 14 Nov 2017, 05:37

Hi
I have suffered with fissures on and off for 14 years and am waiting for Botox injection on NHS. I feel this is probably not a long term solution and would like to contact a surgeon to discuss possible LIS surgery. I live in the south of UK in Southampton and would love to hear if anyone could recommend a surgeon. I am willing to travel for the right surgeon although this could be difficult with extremely painful spasms after every BM lasting 6 to 12 hours.
Please post if you can help!!
Stuart
Stuart
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Private LIS surgery in UK

Postby Katie » 14 Nov 2017, 16:14

Hi Stuart I lI've near southampton and I have had my fissure for over 12 years now! I have had the cream 5 lots if bottox and two ops! I have begged for the lis which my surgeon said she would do have an appointment next next month!
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby Katie » 14 Nov 2017, 16:15

To talk it all through I feel your pain!
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Stuart » 16 Nov 2017, 10:16

Hi Katie
Good to hear from you. I have just found out I will be going to have examination under general anaesthetic next Friday, 24th Nov. I hope they will do Botox then. Have you found that the Botox reduces the spasms? These seem to be my main cause of the pain and not something I have had with fissures before. I have been off work for the past 6 weeks and need something to reduce the daily pain.
I am being seen at Southampton General Hospital, is this where you are being treated?
Stuart
Stuart
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 16 Nov 2017, 11:14

Hi Stuart,
I had Botox and it stopped my spasms from the first day. My spasms were very full on and could last up to 24 hours after a BM. It also reduced the stinging and burning after about 4 weeks. I would say by week 7 I was having minimal discomfort after a BM roughly around 10/20 mins of minor stinging.
Also could you ask your GP for gabapentin as this worked really well for my spasms nothing else came close not opiates or Valium or any other pain killer.
Good luck for the 24th I’m sure you will feel much better after.
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Stuart » 17 Nov 2017, 05:53

That sounds great the spasms stopped so quick, doctor said it takes a week or two to start working. I am still not sure it is a long term answer as I have just been too tight to get a normal poo out easily for the last 3 years and most of this time I have not had a fissure (able to get rid of them with creams).
I think LIS surgery is most likely a long term answer. When I first had a fissure 14 years ago, I had terrible pain during BM's but was fine in between. I saw an old school surgeon and he did the "stretching" operation which although painful for a few days after reduced pain during BM to almost zero straight away and I was fine within 2 weeks. I had five years without even thinking of a fissure and think would have continued to be ok, problems only started again when I became constipated whilst in hospital with a broken hip.
I will ask GP about Gabapentin to see if I can get some to try.
Thanks for your advice.
Stuart
Stuart
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 17 Nov 2017, 11:36

I went on to have the LIS as my fissure was very long and deep and my resttone was very high.
I’m still glad I had Botox though as it certainly gave me months of pain relief. It’s really promising that you went so long without issues as Botox could sort you out as long as you are careful not to get constipated again. That’s another good point about gabapentin it rarely has any effect on the intestines so won’t cause constipation
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Katie » 18 Nov 2017, 13:51

Yes I have had that op stuart your having amd yes I had it there who is your surgeon? My first bottox did not do any thing! But my 2nd worked after a few weeks! The bottox lasts for about 2 month for me but them the spams come right back! Xx
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Katie » 18 Nov 2017, 13:53

So the lis is the way I need to go but had to beg for it! But surgeon don't like doing them but I can't go on the way thing are x
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Stuart » 19 Nov 2017, 14:36

Hi Katie
Interesting you are being seen at same hospital, I had been seeing Mr Knight over the last couple of years on and off. About 3 weeks ago I was admitted through A&E with major pain and spent a couple of nights on a ward. Whilst there I was put under the care of Mr Dudding and it is him who should be looking at me on Friday. Who is your surgeon? And did you suffer much extra discomfort from the Botox injection?(I am hoping the answer to this is no as I can't take much more!!)
Stuart x
Stuart
Fibre Addict