My update - 12 days, post-op

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

My update - 12 days, post-op

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 11 Feb 2012, 16:09

Hi, everyone -
First of all, my thanks to all of you for asking about me and keeping me in thoughts and prayers. My thanks, also, to Sue1962, who has posted a couple of updates for me and who has become a good friend. She has spent so much time holding my hand through this, and I appreciate her support. Also, thanks to Dawn, for her supportive emails. --- Further, to those of you who have been my AF friends here, THANK YOU for your care and support. We all know how disruptive AFs are - and having this forum support is great.
Okay, so . . . today I am 12 days, post-op.
On Jan. 30th, I had an LIS and fissurectomy, done on an out-patient basis. I have had no complications, thus far -- but I'm still a bit sore, still a bit black/blue and swollen, with some amount of itching and burning near the incision site. I have an extremely sensitive and reactive system, and so I think my recovery is taking a bit more time because of that - and also, probably because I had the double procedure. I am healing, so it's just a matter of keeping things comfortable in the meantime.
I saw my crs (whom I really like) this past Tuesday, and he said everything looks fine and that I need to come back in, in two weeks, for another post-op check. He gave me some cream for the itching - and as yet, I've had zero blood with the bms, which have been very manageable with just stool softeners, twice a day. Absolutely no incontinence, either --- so once my bottom heals completely, I don't anticipate any problems. (Fingers crossed!)
Surgery is surgery, and the post-op experience is probably going to be a bit different for everyone. Like I said, I've had no complications -- it's just a matter of healing and keeping myself comfortable in the meantime.
I'm up walking around (not going to overdo it, though) - and yesterday I propped two small pillows under my bottom cheeks, and I played my beloved piano. Yay! --- My diet is still light, with lots of water and absolutely no junk food or sugar - but that's probably sensible for anyone, regardless of AFs or surgery. My crs hasn't given me a single diet restriction, but I know I need to be careful and let myself heal. Besides, I've lost some weight (that needed to be lost!), and I really don't want to put it back on again.
So, to those of you who have had surgery, or are going to do so, put yourself in the hands of a good crs and then give yourself time to heal. Like I said, everyone's experience will be slightly different, depending on each person's individual situation.
I will continue to work on my healing, I'll be around, here and there.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Re: My update - 12 days, post-op

Postby workingonit » 11 Feb 2012, 21:07

That's awesome Sweet!
Thanks for all the info!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Guest » 11 Feb 2012, 22:49

Wishing you all the best in your continuing recovery, sweet... It is so nice to see a post with your update. I'm so happy to hear your healing is progressing without complications... Yay!

Postby Arafat » 12 Feb 2012, 08:56

Its so great to hear that ur free of complications thus far and i pray that it stays complication free! Ur right to be careful on movement after surgery. Ur diet sounds just right and hopefully withion a week or a few days u may not even have to depend on stool softeners! Best of luck with continued healing:)
Arafat
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Savaici » 12 Feb 2012, 12:06

So happy to hear that you are doing so well SB! Thinking of you and wishing you the very best. Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 12 Feb 2012, 14:13

Thank you, woi, j, arafat, and savaici ~
I'm still working on healing - and it does take time. My incision site is fine - still a bit swollen, with some amount of itching. So, though I'm up and about a bit more, I am also spending time resting and not taking things too fast, too soon.
Like I said, surgery IS surgery - and everyone's experience is a little different, IMO. Had I felt that my AF would have healed on its own, I obviously wouldn't have had the surgery - but, I know that (after months of trying to get it healed) my AF had become chronic. I also know I'm not healed post-op, yet, and that this will take more time and patience.
I really hope and pray for all of us to be pain free and out there living our lives, again. --- I have to say that my AF experience has had its positives: I've become closer to God, with a strengthened prayer life; my perspective has changed, in that I've been reminded how precious and short (and tenuous) our time on earth is; I've met all you wonderful, caring forum people - and we all share a compassion for the suffering that AF pain brings; I've changed my diet for the better (I've always had a sweet tooth and used to be able to eat anything I wanted); I've renewed a relationship with a favorite aunt, who is diabetic and suffers terribly from that disease - and she's been an extremely strong support person for me, talking with me nightly on the phone and listening to me whine on about my AF, etc. --- So, there HAS been some good to come out of this AF misery.
Anyhow, to all of us, I wish us well, and I just want us all to feel better.
HUGS to all of you and everyone else here!
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby sterlingbird » 12 Feb 2012, 22:01

So glad for you. Will send all positive waves for you.
sterlingbird
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 12 Feb 2012, 22:06

sterlingbird wrote:So glad for you. Will send all positive waves for you.

Hi, sterlingbird - Thank you, darling - I'm not healed, yet, so I appreciate the positive waves.
We're all on this AF odyssey, and it gets tough, sometimes. We all have to hang in there.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby workingonit » 12 Feb 2012, 22:22

Cheers Sweet,
I'm a useless weepy horror when it comes to even minor surgery. I am seriously squeamish too. So I totally understand your being super cautious. It's only smart.
Take good care of yourself this week!
:D
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 12 Feb 2012, 22:31

Hi, woi! and thank you!
I'll be going in for another post-op check this week. Hopefully, I'm healing the way I should.
I don't like surgery, either - and I don't know that I would elect to have surgery (like cosmetic surgery), because even a small surgery is a challenge.
Cheers back atcha, btw.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure