Witch hazel

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Witch hazel

Postby Guest » 20 Jan 2008, 20:25

I've read a few posts that say to stay away from wipes with witch hazel when you have a fissure. I'm truly confused by this. I tried to find some additional information, but to no avail. I've tried the Cottonelle fresh wipes, but they irritated the area a bit. The Prep H wipes are so soothing and both pharmacists at the store highly recommended them. If anyone can give me some info on the dangers of using them, I would greatly appreciate it. (I feel as if I obsessively dab at the area after a BM to make sure that it's clean, so I'm sure that that adds to the irritation.) I don't want to use something that can impede the healing process, but I want to find something that's just as soothing.

witchhazel

Postby bherna1 » 20 Jan 2008, 23:04

using witchhazel long term causes boils and puss to build up. That is what my GI told me. I had used them for 1 year and i got a boil around the fissure that got worse when using witchhazel wipes. As soon as i got off of them the swelling and boil dissappeared. This is my GI's take and it may or may not happend to you. Just passing along info from my GI.
I use aloe ointment instead that comes in a clear tube.
www.cvs.com is where you can get it. Use it along with non medicated wipes. This is just my approach. Feel free to do what you feel is better for you.
Thanks
Bernard
bherna1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

non medicated wipes

Postby bherna1 » 20 Jan 2008, 23:09

another thing. IF you use wipes try to find the ones that have no scent to them. The scent will indeed irrutate the fissure. The scent tends to sting. You can get the non scented wipes at CVS or Walgreens, Walmart.
My technique is to not wipe but blot the area until it is clean.
bherna1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Re: Witch hazel

Postby happyass » 21 Jan 2008, 21:12

also witch hazel thins out the skin. that is why some good astringent for the face contains witch hazel to firm it up - if you think about it, when you firm up the delicate anal mucousa membranes, it will reverse the elasticity you want to have down there in order for your fissure to heal and be able to stretch without injuring your fissure during bowel movements.
stay away from witch hazel for anal fissures.
if you can find charmin freshmates, i highly recommend those.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 23 Jan 2008, 08:51

bherna1:
Thanks so much for the info and advice about the wipes. I've tried to find flushable, unscented wipes at my local cvs, walgreens, and publix...no luck. I can find flushable and/or unscented, but not both. Are the ones you use a specific brand or generic? Thanks!

Postby bherna1 » 23 Jan 2008, 22:07

i use the generic cvs brand in a blue bag. it is very lightly scented but not as bad as others. remember to blot and not wipe hard.
they are generic cvs brand in the back where the toilet paper is.
good luck
they come in a bulk pac but i take some out and put them in a zip lock bag and put them in my pocket just in case.
bernard
bherna1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 24 Jan 2008, 10:28

I have a handheld shower head that I use to clean up with since my surgery. I can't stand to touch down there so I just get in the shower after. Same effect as a bidet.

I use the Cottonelle wipes but you know you could just wet some tp with warm water and use that.

Postby val » 24 Jan 2008, 10:54

I know what you mean about not bearing to touch it, Lecia, I was the same and had to use the shower head!
But I always use unscented baby wipes as over here they are a lot cheaper than adult wipes and you get more in a packet. And they do travel size packs too!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 24 Jan 2008, 16:18

Yeah, I stood in the shower with that head on my bottom until the water turn cold! I am starting to use aloe vera on my bottom but I hate touching it. One side is swollen like a balloon and the other I can feel stitches. I wish I could just throw the stuff down there. It is such a freaky feeling.