Discomfort months after fistulotomy

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Discomfort months after fistulotomy

Postby Garrod » 10 Nov 2015, 09:31

Hi all,

I had my second fistulotomy 4 months ago, had a last check-up 2 month ago, my CRS said all looks great. My wound is still hard on touch, I assume is ok, if there's a scar there? But I still don't feel normal over there. Well, I actually forgot what normal feels like, I'm having this issue (abscess + fistula) for over a year now. It feels tight often, when I sit for longer periods of time I feel mild pain and when my stool is not so soft it hurts and it is very uncomfortable. Like muscle spasms inside... Also if I don't have BM in 1 - 1.5 days, it feels like painful pressure over there. I am getting paranoid I'd get another abscess again....

Anyone with longer experience with this? When did you start feeling normal again?
Garrod
VIP

Topics: 7

Re: Discomfort months after fistulotomy

Postby msimon » 13 Nov 2015, 12:37

Hi Garrod. Glad to hear you are healing well but sorry to hear that things are still not great for you. I'm not sure what to tell you because my pain issues are probably compounded by my pelvic pain so it may not apply to post-fistulotomy surgery, but I can tell you that area was tender and painful for several months after my CRS declared me healed. I could feel my BM passing over it for months after, perhaps 3-6 yet after it was declared 'healed'. I think the reason for this is that new nerves that generated after they were cut are irritable until they settle down and also that scar tissue is not as mobile as old tissue. My physio wants me to disturb the area to get it to heal more flexibly so it doesn't get 'stuck down.' I often felt better when I kept the area moisturized. I used either vitamin e oil or coconut oil. It may also be that the sphincter can exhibit a learned response to ongoing pain in the area and spam for quite a long time after the area is healed.
Do you have access to any of the fissure ointments/creams? Nifedipine, Nitroglycerine, or Diltiazem? I used these for a long time after the surgery and I think it helped me heal. I sometimes still use it as my internal sphincter can still be cranky. Just a thought....wouldn't hurt to try at least until things calm down.
Do you have another follow up with your surgeon? I think it's normal to worry that it may come back. I did for a long time. Maybe he could put your mind at ease...
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Garrod » 14 Nov 2015, 17:35

Hi, msimon, thanks a lot for your reply!
My CRS never told me these things. Thanks for the explanations, I'm sure that's what it's all about. I didn't know how long it takes for the area, nerves, muscles etc. to settle back to normal. Sometimes the feeling and the pain resembles the one I had when the abscess started and then it's easy to start freaking out again. But you're right, it just takes time.

I still have the ointments I used to apply some time ago, I'll try again.
My CRS told me there's no need to come visit as he thinks it's all really good. Unless there's discharge etc.
Thanks again! :smilyhug:
Garrod
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby Patty » 26 Feb 2016, 15:54

Err... Mind if I jump in?...
I had surgery in August. Spent 5 months recovering.
I had two fistulas - one had a seton, the other was cut out. But are supposed to have healed. The one in the rear doesn't feel that bad, although it sometimes bleeds when it's time for number 2. The second caught the soft tissue on the side of my but, it was kind of deep (enough to get an index inside) and equally wide. That was a dragg. Now it's closed Doc had to apply silver nitrate but it worked). The scar is, nonetheless quite big. It is very uncomfortable when I sit for long times or even after I had sex (pardon my french). Don't get me wrong, I take it easy but even so it sometimes hurts and kind of sting. Is this normal?
Anyone wants to comment?
Thanks.
Patty