New here! Need some advice

Anal fissure/lis surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

New here! Need some advice

Postby xxstaciexx » 05 Jun 2016, 15:23

Hi everyone!
I am new here to this forum and from the uk!
Since January I started to have a few problems, pain before, during and most definitely after vowel movements. Was not good, as you all know way too well!
So I originally thought piles :oops:
So went of bought creams etc and within a few days all seemed to calm down. By March time I was yet to be suffering again!
So back to the chemist and Drs and was prescribed steroid creams etc and to just use those and carry on!
Well that time those didn't heal my problem and it became a regular nightmare to use that toilet as I knew the pain involved :cry:
So, I went back to the Drs and they referred me to a surgeon who deals with hemmies etc. To then find out it is an anal fissure :cry:
I immediately started to panic as I thought oh god this is never gonna get better and I'm gonna be in agony. I suffer with ibs so toilet trips are a constant thing of 3/4 times daily diarrhoea :oops:
So the pain was not getting better etc cause of how many toilet trips I was doing obvs didn't help.
The surgeon gave me more steroid cream and a GTN treatment. I was a bit worried about the GTN as I knew headaches were a main side affect. Nevertheless I went home and tried it and seemed to be okay!
It is now June and touch wood for the past couple weeks I haven't been in any pain etc.
My surgeon had scheduled surgery for lis on 2nd August. I am totally terrified about it.
I was wondering and hoping if maybe some of you could help with advice. Los surgery okay? Is it worth me having it done etc. Would really appreciate any help.
Thank you xx
xxstaciexx
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Re: New here! Need some advice

Postby chachacha » 05 Jun 2016, 18:31

Whether to have LIS or not is an incredibly personal choice and one that many here have made after giving up on healing without it. Some take years to get to the point where they believe that LIS is the only option, and others go under the knife quite early on, if they feel like their fissures will not heal otherwise. I suffered for years before going through with it, and it was the best decision that I've ever made. You however, may still be able to heal without surgery, so only you can decide whether or not to go through with it at this point or not
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby xxstaciexx » 06 Jun 2016, 07:48

I think that is what is worrying me.
I never want to experience that pain again!
Is the surgery very painful to recover from? XXXX
xxstaciexx
Salt Bather

Postby chachacha » 06 Jun 2016, 09:53

The surgery wasn't bad for me, and most others say that the recovery is not nearly as bad as the fissure symptoms, but some have had problems after the procedure too. If you'd like to read about how the surgery went for many of our members, you can check out our "Success Stories " sub-forum here: success-stories-only-f10.html

This link includes people who've healed without surgery too, so you'll have the experience of many to read about. All the best with your decision.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Skiponzo » 06 Jun 2016, 09:56

Painful? Yes. For the first day it was probably as painful or slightly more so than the fissure itself. After 24 hours it was considerably less painful than the fissure. I am not almost 11 weeks post op and while I still have some issues and expect that I won't really Be fully healed for another 3-6 months (trying to be realistic here) I think this was the best decision o could have ever made. My life has come rushing
Back to me and it's a beautiful thing.
Skiponzo
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby xxstaciexx » 06 Jun 2016, 10:07

That's good to hear that u finally feel yourself again. I remember it being from January for a few weeks bring in agony. I've done 3 natural births and 1 Csection and I swear I would do all 4 of those things again rather than have that fissure pain. Xxxxx
xxstaciexx
Salt Bather

Postby xxstaciexx » 06 Jun 2016, 10:18

I'm not scared about the actual operation. What scares me is afterwards. Right at this moment I think my fissure has calmed down a little and I'm experiencing no pain. Touch wood. May have spoken to soon about that knowing my luck lol.
But say if it get to the operation and still in no pain would the recovery be easier/less painful. My surgeon literally passed me a 2 page booklet and said u need this operation. Didn't really tell me much or anything. Xxxx
xxstaciexx
Salt Bather