How much time does it really take to heal

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How much time does it really take to heal

Postby positivesun » 08 Jun 2016, 12:44

Hello everyone,

Thank you again for this amazing forum, it has definitely helped me through some of my darkest times.

After trying almost every product/idea, some with mild success and others not so much, I have become convinced that the only way to heal a deep fissure naturally is a LOT of time. I don't know why there isn't more medical literature on this but I was hoping someone who is healed or a veteran on this forum could confirm or deny my feeling.

My fissure first took place in early February of this year. I never had any blood only extreme spasms and discomfort, usually after using the bathroom I felt the discomfort for the remainder of the day.

I am now at a point where the spasms are practically gone and I only have a mild itch and sensation that is hard to describe.

My question is will I ever feel completely normal down there? Where I have no sensations at all? And how long does it take to reach this point?

I also was wondering if anyone knows what a small, scab like texture around my anus could be? I saw someone else on this forum mentioned they had it but no one could provide an answer. Is this scar tissue? And if so will it shrink over time? Could it be causing irritation?

Thank you for any help! :thankyou:
positivesun
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: How much time does it really take to heal

Postby sweetsun5 » 08 Jun 2016, 13:22

Hello, positivesun! I'm sorry you're in this situation and I hope you heal fully! My fissure also took place February of this year and it has been a strange journey ever since. Unlike you, I experienced some blood and occasional spams but no lasting discomfort throughout the day. At first my bowls felt like a papercut down there even with soft stools, but with time I am also at the point where I can "go" and it's not as bad as it was before. I can only hope that that means that healing is taking place. My doctor is very conservative and refuses to even think about surgery for me. He is certain that I will heal with nifedipine ointment alone.

I'm curious to see if anyone has any experience with scabs as well. I thought I felt something like a scab while applying my ointment a few days ago, but I can no longer feel it anymore so....I don't know what to think about that! I'm starting to put zinc ointment before bed in hopes that it will do something positive for my poor bum.

Here's hoping that our fissures will one day be a horrible, distant memory!
sweetsun5
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Fissurefrustration » 08 Jun 2016, 14:52

I'm so sorry your in pain :(

I'm 4 years and 3 operations down the line since my incident that caused my fissures and I'm still not better.

the most important thing is that everyone heals at different rates and what works for some, doesn't work for everyone :( Time certainly is a healer but sometimes we can help our bodies along with sitz baths, vitamins, medical honey and medical intervention.

your small scab could be a healed fissure, skin tag, healed fistula or just a rough patch of skin. If you try aloe vera that might help the skin but careful of getting sensitive to the creams.

Let us know how you do!!

FF
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56

Postby positivesun » 08 Jun 2016, 15:17

Hey sweetsun!

That is also when I first felt the scab-like rough patch, when I was applying my ointment one day. I noticed that sometimes it is easy to miss, but if I am able to really relax the muscles and massage the area I am able to find it.. very strange. I hope you feel better soon! I will never take my health for granted again. Vitamin E ointment and Dr Butlers helped my situation a lot. I tried nifedipine for a couple weeks which reduced spasms but didn't heal everything completely, I kinda wonder if I should have stuck with it. The last week or so I haven't been applying any ointments or anything. In eastern cultures a lot of doctors recommend to keep the area dry and open to airflow (they literally tell their patients to walk around naked) so I am giving that a shot.

Hey FF!

Thank you for the feedback. I know the rough patch wasn't there during the first 2-3 months of my situation so I definitely think it is something related to the fissure. I love aloe Vera it is an amazing healing plant but I haven't like how it feels on my bum. I will definitely keep you updated. I hope you feel better soon :smilyhug:
positivesun
Salt Bather

Postby sweetsun5 » 09 Jun 2016, 10:31

Morning, positivesun!
Well, I've been trying to relax but that elusive rough patch is still hiding from me. I'll keep checking (gently!!) with each ointment application. I'm sure you are correct and that it has something to do with the fissure- I'd guess it's part of the healing process, hopefully. I agree with never taking your health for granted again. I sometimes catch myself thinking wistfully of the days when trips to the bathrooms didn't cause anxiety, heh!
I liked your idea about vitamin E, so I started to poke a hole into my vitamin E supplements and applied that to the fissure before bed with a little zinc ointment. Starting Saturday I'm going to start soaking a cotton ball of hydrogen peroxide 3% and dabbing it three times a day.
Let me know how your body responds to the open airflow treatment! I'm going to continue to use the nifidipine to keep the sphincter muscles quiet. Do check in though and keep me updated!

Fissurefrustration:
I'm so sorry to hear that you've been suffering for so long! My heart goes out to you. If you don't mind me asking, is there an underlining medical issue that's preventing your poor bum from healing completely?? 4 years is such a long time to have to go through something like this...! :comfort:
sweetsun5
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby positivesun » 31 Jan 2017, 02:21

Sweet sun were you ever able to heal? Please let me know! I am better but still have a constant feeling! :/
positivesun
Salt Bather

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion