Can a fistula heal on its own

MRI shows fistula Surgeon cannot see it

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Can a fistula heal on its own

Postby rvsw » 09 Sep 2016, 01:38

3 weeks ago, I had sharp rectal pain while accidentally straining during a bowel movement. I have had a temporary stomach problem for a couple of days when this happened.

I waited for a week because I assumed it was a fissure and then on the suggestion of a surgeon, I got MRI done. The MRI revealed a simple fistula. I had never have a blood or pass discharge.

The surgeon gave me antibiotics and wanted to schedule a surgery. By that time I could go for a follow-up which was one week later (by this time it had been already 2 weeks since the onset of the rectal pain), the surgeon could not find the fistula.

Is it possible that the fistula could have been healed? The surgeon things that antibiotics could have masked this. I forgot to ask what is the exact meaning of mask and now I cannot reach him

So I wonde if the fistula can heal on its own. According to a web search I could not any such thing but I was wondering if it is rare but possible occurrence

Thanks for any answers
rvsw

Topics: 2

Re: Can a fistula heal on its own

Postby Savaici » 11 Sep 2016, 21:12

They do not usually heal on their own, and by 'mask' I think the doctor means that the antibiotics have made it 'better' by removing the swelling, etc - possibly. Giving antibiotics is common for fistulas pre-surgery. I would listen to what the surgeon says, if this were me. You do not want what is a simple fistula to become more than this.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222