My doctor just wants to operate

Acute fissure

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

My doctor just wants to operate

Postby Pam » 22 Oct 2016, 21:34

Hi. I was diagnosed with a fissure when I went to my doctor but he saw the skin tag and recommended me to a colo-rectal surgeon. He prescribed diltiazam and lidocaine. The pain had been lasting all day especially when I shifted in my seat and wasn't limited to after bowel movements. After I started.the pain went down from 8/10 severity to 3/10 severity but it hasn't stopped completely although some days are better than others. I am also doing an in-vitro fertilization to have a child. The doctor said the only thing curative is to have surgery but reading about it it seems risky due to side effects. Does the pain ever go away completely? Yesterday the pain was almost 0/10 but today it was up to 5/10
Pam
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: My doctor just wants to operate

Postby sandrasmiles7 » 22 Oct 2016, 21:56

The last week before my surgery I had no pain and a little uncomfortable itching after a BM. I got my fissure in the first place because of pregnancy. I was so constipated. I think if you have one now it will only get worse during the pregnancy and you won't be able to have the surgery while pregnant most likely. Feel free to ask me any questions. The risk of incontinence is slim. I was having to rewipe so many times that I felt a little incontinent anyway
sandrasmiles7
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Pam » 22 Oct 2016, 22:07

If u were not having pain why did u get the operation? My doctor said u get the operation when the pain becomes unbearable. I have been dealing with this for a month and have been using the creams for 10 days. How long till it heals? Also I have a 5 month old and am a single mom. (Using a sperm donor) do not crazy about the idea of surgery unless it's last resort.
Pam
Fibre Addict

Postby sandrasmiles7 » 22 Oct 2016, 22:37

Ive had this going on for 8 months. I didn't have pain only the week before but fissure I didn't
They can calm down for months then flare up with a bad bowel movement
I also saw that it could turn into something worse and it wasn't healing. But I think you could try to heal longer and keep using stool softeners/miralax and you might heal it just may take many months. Maybr if your pain stays at a 3 and you are okay with living with that don't get the surgery if you don't have to.
sandrasmiles7
Salt Bather

Postby Pam » 23 Oct 2016, 08:24

Oy.... many months sounds bad. I was hoping for a quicker fix. Thanks. How was recovery after the surgery?
Pam
Fibre Addict

Postby sandrasmiles7 » 23 Oct 2016, 13:46

I would say the pain is no more than a 4. My hole feels all botched up because they took off skin tags. So I can't really tell what's what but I can still walk around. Sitting ishard
sandrasmiles7
Salt Bather