Weightlifting etc post LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Weightlifting etc post LIS

Postby GilmoreGirl » 24 Nov 2016, 22:34

Hi,

I have a few questions for those who've undergone LIS or have healed from a fissure. I'm currently experiencing some healing of my fissure(s), but the spasms are unrelenting. My CRS is planning LIS.

I'm an avid weightlifter and personal trainer. This fissure has left me on the couch for two months, eating about 600 cal/day. Needless to say I'm anxious to get back to lifting (or even cardio at this point) and to eating well.

I know each case is different, but I'm wondering if any body has any experience returning to lifting after LIS/fissure. Will I ever be able to squat/deadlift heavy again?

And just to note - fissure was most likely caused by ibs and frequent bms, not anything to do with the weightlifting!

Thanks all
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18

Re: Weightlifting etc post LIS

Postby IronicTwist » 25 Nov 2016, 03:16

I know the feeling. Used to train 6 days a week. Just prior to getting the fissure I was on a schedule that had me training heavy on legs 3 days a week which was probably a contributing factor to this suffering even though not the only one. My situation was just a perfect storm. Low carb, high protein, trying to beat rms and improper breathing techniques together with a weekend or 2 of having a few drinks. Im off for 6 months now and I dont know whats worse, dealing with the pain or being out of gym.

Whether you will ever deadlift again or squat? I wouldnt risk squatting exercises for at least a year as from what Ive read, things can take up to a year to regain their elasticity down there. Within a month or so(depending on healing) post LIS you could start training light again but check with your CRS. I'm guessing a leg and glute routine will need some adaptation, exercises that dont require too much core strength or squatting per say. Leg extensions, kickbacks, seated calf raises, standing hamstring curls etc...
IronicTwist
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby GilmoreGirl » 25 Nov 2016, 09:51

Thanks IT, that's not exactly what I'd love to hear but expected. No fun lol
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby IronicTwist » 25 Nov 2016, 09:54

I know. Patience. You will get there eventually.
IronicTwist
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby GilmoreGirl » 26 Nov 2016, 12:22

Yes, eventually! So frustrating, and I am most definitely an impatient person hah. I feel like years of work is just wasting away...bye muscles
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby IronicTwist » 26 Nov 2016, 17:50

I know it feels that way but ive only lost about 2kgs of lean weight, will take me about the same amount of time to build it back up. Better than the pain
IronicTwist
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Buttpalsteven » 01 Dec 2016, 23:37

Hi there,

I am definitely not as buff as Ironic, but the gym is important for me as well. Although I agree and have read from a few posters that it really takes a full year to be closer to "perfect", I had a severe fissure and was able to return to squatting about 2 months after the surgery. I highly recommend waiting at least 6 weeks or whatever your Doc suggests and you will know how you are feeling after the surgery. 2 weeks after surgery I started doing biceps/triceps again. Sometimes, when picking up the weight off of the rack I'd feel a tingle so I knew I was going too hard at it. I remember when I was actively posting on here (back in August) a few others were discussing the same tingle after surgery so I think it's fairly common and is a good indicator if you are over doing it. Again, you will need to discuss it with your doc - wait until the follow-up he/she can tell you how many layers of skin have healed and if you are ready to get back in the gym. The surgery was great for me and truly changed my life for the better despite the 8 week halt from the gym.
Buttpalsteven
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby GilmoreGirl » 02 Dec 2016, 09:58

Thanks for your reply buttpalsteven. I will talk to my surgeon about it for sure, but it's encouraging to hear that you were able to get back at it and that the LIS was positive for you. I'm having LIS next Wednesday! I'm hoping to get back in the gym lifting in February - which will be about 7 weeks, but to start running before then as soon as I'm comfortable - I will propose this to my doctor for sure!
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby IronicTwist » 04 Dec 2016, 14:51

Far from buff... just fat very well placed. ;P
IronicTwist
Proctosphincteranalogist