Can't stop bleeding

Is this normal

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Can't stop bleeding

Postby Teeonew » 24 Dec 2016, 18:37

I have suffered from rectal bleeding for 20+ years - I am 47 and otherwise a very fit & healthy male.

I have had a sigmoidoscopy in 2008 & a colonoscopy in 2013. Both showed some evidence of fissures & hypertrophied paphillae as well as a small skin tag.

Back in September I had a painful BM & a lot of blood - since that incident i cant seem to clear this up. The skin tag is larger & can get quite sore - it seems as though the tag is bleeding.

I have been using Diltiazem for about a week & it has reduced the pain but the bleeding continues if the stool is large.

I am worried it is something more serious - could the colonoscopy have missed something?

I have been to my GP a few times since September - he said its nothing serious, first advising lots of fibre/water & then more recently the Diltiazem. As it is not healing he has recommended me to see the CR surgeon again in the New Year . Just worried that this persistent bleeding is a sign of something more serious.

Do my symptoms sound normal?
Teeonew

Topics: 1

Re: Can't stop bleeding

Postby Manitourose » 28 Dec 2016, 15:01

Teeonew -- Have you seen a gastroenterologist? I'm imagining you have given the colonoscopy. My colorectal surgeon recommended me seeing one before he continued with any further measures for my continuing issues with fissures (and a fistula). My sigmoidoscopy came back very similar to yours actually. After more thorough testing with my gastro I came back with a gastro disease (celiac) and when treated massively improved and mostly cleared up my issues. I don't want to seem like I always mention getting thoroughly tested for things to everyone, but 3/4 of the CRS's I saw never considered it was a gastro condition leading to my colorectal issues. I think everyone working as a unit pays off. Hope you start finding answers to feel better.
Manitourose

Topics: 14

Postby LemonMan » 28 Dec 2016, 15:02

Hi Teeonew,

This sounds like a fissure to me. Quite often the fissure will be behind the tag, which may explain why you think the tag is bleeding. If Diltiazem is working then I would also aim to keep your stools soft by using something like Movicol which may help stop the bleeding. You really need to keep the stools soft and use the Diltiazem for at least 8 weeks to have a good chance of healing.

Good Luck!

LemonMan
Aug 14: Anal Abscess diagnosed
Dec 15: Anterior Anal Fissure diagnosed
Jan 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of Jan
Apr 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of May
Sep 16: Fissure back. Started Anoheal again
May 17: Botox and banding - fingers crossed
LemonMan
VIP

Topics: 4

Postby Teeonew » 28 Dec 2016, 16:10

Thanks for the replies - since a fresh blood stinging bleed on Xmas Eve I have redoubled my efforts with water, fibre & Diltiazem - everything seems better since (only 4 days i know) - no blood, no pain & the soreness around the tag has diminished. Will keep up this intensified regime & see what happens - I will see the CRS in the New Year.
Teeonew

Topics: 1