Please read my story if you have time. I need help.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Please read my story if you have time. I need help.

Postby newmom89 » 29 Jan 2017, 17:08

Hey Everyone,

I thought it would share my story for whoever is interested in reading it.

November 2015: I had my daughter 14 months ago. It was a bad delivery, she was in distress and had be born very quickly with a vacuum and episiotomy.

December 2015: 5 weeks post partum I developed an anterior anal fissure. It was the worst pain of my life. Weird this is I had no constipation or anything. My bowel movement that day was perfectly normal. I had no idea how it happened, maybe my pelvic floor had trauma. Anyways, I went to my GP. He said it was hemmorhoids. One week later (I am loosing it with that amount of pain) my OBGYN diagnosed it as an anterior fissure. He prescribed me nifedipine .2% and said to call him in a week if I wasn't feeling better.

January 2016 - March 2016: I wasn't feeling better a week later, and was also getting a constant pressure/strange feeling down there pretty much all the time. He referred me to a general surgeon. The general surgeon found that my levator ani muscle was of normal tension. He did note the anterior fissure. He told me to stop using nifedipine and gave my a steriod ointment instead. I used that for a couple weeks (and then stopped because I didn't feel comfortable doing this for any longer). I also did 3x/day sitx bathes, increased water, increased fibre, and bought a squatty potty. I went back to him in March. I had had bleeding several times over the course of the past 2 months, and an ongoing daily pressure/burning feeling in my rectum. He said this was normal and hopefully with time I would heal. He told me to come back in June. At this time I asked for more nifedipine ointment.

April 2016: Start attending pelvic floor physio. She said my levator ani and internal inside my rectum (?internal sphincter muscle) was high tone. It was relieved by muscle massage; but, this would only help for several hours at a time. I was still using nifedipine for a 6 week course. Once I stopped the nifedipine I had increased pain/ bleeding within 2 weeks of stopping. I kept going to physio 1-2 times/week until June.

June 2016: Saw the general surgeon again. Said all he could offer was LIS. I wasn't ready for this step at this time. I wanted to exhaust more options and wanted to speak to someone about botox. But, he didn't do botox and didn't know of anyone in my city who did. Plus I was still breastfeeding my 7 month old daughter. He told me to come back when/if I wanted surgery.

June-September 2016: I decided to do a 12 week course of nifedipine .2% after reading a study about the effectiveness of a longer treatment. I went for physio throughout this time as well. I continued to have a pressure/fullness/burning feeling around the rectum and pain when having a bowel movement on and off. Once I stopped the nifedipine I had increased pain and bleeding again within 2 weeks :( So I started using nifedipine again, all the way up until November.

November 2016: finally got into a CRS I had asked my GP to see who apparently did botox. He is a newer grad. He took a quick look at me and said I was healed. He told me to stop using nifedipine. I asked him why I still had pressure and discomfort if I was healed and he said I needed more fibre. I was so irritated when I left. I eat 30g of fibre per day and am so SICK of fibre lol... Anways... I stopped the nifedipine and within 2 weeks I bled again with increased pain. I started the nifedipine again to do an "experiment" and see if it would happen again after another 6 week round.

January 2017: stopped by 6 week round of nifedipine. I found the pressure down there got worse after stopping. The day before I had pain and bleeding again I had a hard time going to the bathroom because I felt my internal sphincter or muscles wouldn't relax. The next day I had bad pain/bleeding again. I called the CRS and asked to see him that day if possible so he could see what was going on with me. He took a look at me and said I have a posterior fissure. I was like what?! not anterior? (because that is what I had initially). He said nope, it's posterior. I don't even think he checked for an anterior one though because he never commented on me being healed there. He told me to up my fibre. I blew up on him and started crying. I said I have been eating crazy amounts of fibre, I'm not constipated, I drink tons of water and every time I stop the ointment I start bleeding. He told me he would prescribe me .3% nifedipine. That I wouldn't want surgery because I could be incontinent if I have more kids. I can't use the ointment while pregnant though and I would like to have another baby at some point.

Where does this leave me? I feel like no one is listening to me or offering solutions.

I'm also worried about a what came first the chicken or the egg type of situation?! Do I have dysfunction that is leading to fissures? Or is the pressure feeling the internal sphincter spasm from having chronic fissures?

I'm willing to pay out of pocket to go anywhere, anywhere where there is someone who can give me an answer.

PLEASE HELP. Thank you for reading.
Began 5 weeks postpartum (12/2015)
0.2% Nif + usual conservative tx + physio (2016)
Periods of healing on Nif, reoccurs within 1-2 weeks of stopping Nif
Pressure/Tension Everyday

Plan: Try 0.3% Nif ?Botox. ?LIS (CRS discouraging this - I want more kids).
newmom89

Topics: 2

Re: Please read my story if you have time. I need help.

Postby Savaici » 30 Jan 2017, 10:50

Hi newmom89,

Sorry you're going through it all with the dreaded fissure!

:wel: to the forum though.

I used self-dilation. My post is below, what I used, etc. it took some time to stop the wretched spasms but eventually it did. And I'm not the only one on here to have succeeded.

post119934.html?hilit=Pediatric#p119934

This is what Wikipedia has to say, 3/4 down the page.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_fissure

Also, something from the NHS in the UK:

http://www.nhs.uk/ipgmedia/Local/The%20 ... athome.pdf

Hope it's of some help.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby mamafizz » 17 Feb 2017, 23:36

new mom, any better??
mamafizz
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 1

Postby Esperanza » 21 Feb 2017, 23:25

hI New Mom.

I am 26, married in july 2016, I have had an anal fissure since august 2016. As you can notice, the wedding stress gave me this chronic anal fissure. I have had no bleeding or pain since a week and a half ago, I feel like it has been more, maybe because of how different physically and emotionally I feel. I want to say that the pain during BMs disappeared 3 weeks ago, the bleeding continued intermittently but stopped a week and a half ago. Ive had the same experience of feeling a little better and then having the terrible symptoms again, the soreness and pain. specially during the first month after seeing the CRS. He advised me to reach 30 g of fiber everyday, which I immediately did. The first week the pain and bleeding increased. I messaged the CRS about my concern of having bulky BMs and more pain and bleeding; he said, it's excellente that you have 30 g of fiber everyday, just continue the diltiazem and you will feel relief in arounf 2 weeks, when the cream starts acting.

After a week of using the diltiazem, I felt so much better. But then I would re-tear the wound every week with a bulky BM. The week before seeing the CRS again I had some disease and had diarrhea. I started eating less, still healthy things, but less because of how I was feeling and I immediately improved.

the sickness dissapeared and the diarrhea, and at the same time I was eating more. The same day of my CRS appointment I had bleeding and pain again during the BM. My stools were bigger that day.

The CRS give me little hope of recovery WITH ONLY DILTIAZEM. he offered botox. I decided to continue Diltiazem and reduce the fiber to 20 g a day ( it is important to not have constipation), continue metamucil (10 caps a day) and start colace 3 times a day with each meal. This happened in January 10, although during this moth I was bleeding intermittently, the pain started decresing first and the the bleeding.

I know have a burning and itching sensation on a localized area of my anus edge, I think it can be a Hemorrhoid. But this is nothing compared to the symptoms of the anal fissure. I have also been doing sitz baths three times a day, sitting on a sits bath that fit on the tolilet and I cover it with a toilet cushion (both things I bought in a pharmacy, without the cushion I would feel soreness).

No hard excesise , only Walking (not so fast), avoid squatting, avoid heavy lifting, lots of water. I know it is not easy, I have cried all day long and worry so much and the next day The pain and bleeding have increased or appeared again. Try to relax: Progressive muscle relation videos from youtube are very useful

My name means hope in english! I have lost it too. But I know that God is in control of everything too.

A great hug for you!
Esperanza

Postby mamafizz » 22 Feb 2017, 11:07

Hello Es, We are very familiar with this here, I had Botox after 6 months of fissure pain, it is healed a month ago, and now just recovering the muscle spasms etc. Soo sorry anyone has to suffer through this but you are right God will help us get through this for sure, be as patient as you can and try not to worry. It will be okay. Prayers for you.
mamafizz
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Esperanza » 22 Feb 2017, 15:36

HI mamafizz,

Thank you for your words and prayers. I went to the CRS. Well, he says it is still there. He says that the treatment failed and his advice is to do surgery. He says that the pain can decrease because the nerves are impaired in a chronic wound. So, I am thinking about it; I mean,I am preparing psychologically for the surgery.

As you said, it will be okay.
Esperanza

Postby missy moo » 27 May 2017, 21:58

Hi did you have the surgery?
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37