update (still owwie)

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

update (still owwie)

Postby small_flower » 25 Mar 2008, 14:00

Hi guys,
Well things still arent totally back to normal down there. I think this is being aggravated by the fact that I tend to do a lot of sitting. I do a lot of long hours in front of my computer doing papers and resumes and portfolios and projects etc. I also have classes that are 2 and a half hours long. So i dont think this is helping very much.
I have been taking stool softeners for the past 2 days. I am also trying to soak in the tub at least once a day. I have been successful in this endeavor so far, but more than that is kind of impossible because I have so much going on.
The closer to May that I get, the worse the pressure of everything leading up to graduation is going to get. The stress really doesnt help.
I am still kind of itchy and I noticed that the stool softeners do soften things up, but not in a comfortable way. It almost feels scratchy when I have a BM, has anyone else had that experience?
I have MOM at home, but besides the fact that i really hate the taste, I am not sure if it would help, since it is a laxative. I don't need a laxative, I need a softener.
I think I have to start incorporating more fruits back into my diet. I mostly get my fiber from breads and grains, or fiber sure. Pears were good to me when I was eating them, so maybe I will start doing that again.
As for all the sitting, is there anything else I can do besides taking short walks? Anyway to up the blood flow down to that area so I can heal faster.
I can't wait until grad school is done and I have secured a job. I think I'll feel a little better when I can focus on my job, and not a million things at once. Image
xo
kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Re: update (still owwie)

Postby juney » 25 Mar 2008, 14:20

sorry you're still having problems kate. you (and i) and a few others are definite proof that LIS is not a "cure-all" and that we still need to be diligent and careful after surgery. what's your pain level like? is it mainly just the itching that's bothering you? try using baby wipes or taking a shower after each BM, that way you make sure to clean up good and don't have any remnants that might cause itching.

as for MOM, i would consider taking it if you're having pain and discomfort right now...especially if you want to focus on something other than your butt. it's a saline laxative, not a stimulant. it doesn't make you go like a stimulant laxative, it just makes it easier to go, by drawing water into the intestine i believe. also, from what i've read, it's not habit-forming like a stimulant laxative. for me, it's served as more of a softener than anything else. normal stool softeners (docusate sodium is what i used) didn't do much for me.

good luck w/ everything in your life now!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby small_flower » 25 Mar 2008, 14:25

Juney,
The pain level is very minimal at this point. There is no "paper cut" like pain down there. I find if I sit the wrong way, I have short dull aches in the area. I am getting back on fish oil because when I go to the bathroom, I find the first part of the BM can be hard, which also doesn't help my situation. Still this is not painful, just uncomfortable.
The itching has been the main factor here, and I am using my baby wipes which seem to help.
I am glad you told me that MOM isn't a stimulant laxative. When I think of MOM, I always think of having to run back and forth to the bathroom, or going too much and having it be painful. That's what I was scared of. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
xo
kate
p.s. Thanks for the good wishes.
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 5 » 25 Mar 2008, 14:29

I had the same problem...at first if I sat wrong or directly down on a firm surface, I could get twinges of pain, sometimes even brief, sharp pains. But I quickly realized that's all it was, my incision reacting to the pressure. Once I was a month or so out from my surgery, this basically went away, so maybe it's just a matter of time.
Deleted User 5

Postby small_flower » 25 Mar 2008, 14:30

I have been out of surgery for a year now. I was hoping that my last set back hadn't torn my incision open. I am not sure if it did. There was a small amount of blood on the toilet paper, so I guess that it must have to a degree Image
I hope that it stops soon. Things like that really scare me.
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Jen » 25 Mar 2008, 15:06

Kate -
Unlike you, I have not had LIS. However, the pain you have is exactly like mine. Most the time my fissure is not extreamly painful. It feels like it is just irritated. It feels scratchy after a BM. It almost feels like a small abraision. I am a student too, and I do sit alot.
I have been fighting this fissure for a year. Although I am not having as much physical pain as others on the board, I am mentally worn out by it. Once a month or so I do get alot of pain from the fissure. I want LIS, but I don't know if it is right way to go for a fissure that usually just "acts up" every now and again.
I have been using MOM. I take a teaspoon. That is only 1/6 the regular dose! At this amount, it works better than a stool softener, but less than a laxative - if that makes sence. My doctor wants me to stop this soon - she does not agree with MOM usage for long term, but everyone's doctor is different.
Happy Healing!
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Deleted User 5 » 25 Mar 2008, 15:08

I had blood on the TP AND in the toilet last week. I think even with the LIS, the underlying causes of the fissures don't go away. But hopefully, we heal much quicker after the LIS!
Deleted User 5

Postby small_flower » 25 Mar 2008, 15:10

I hope so too. I wish they knew how to prevent these from happening all together. A cure would be nice...but until then, i have fiber and stool softeners and fiber sure.
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 25 Mar 2008, 16:39

That area is so sensitve down there isn't it. I guess we all have to watch our routines. Kate I hope you feel better. I have an owieee too lol, but today it is ok. no more fiber bars for me or cranberries...
Patty