Recovery time to start exercising again

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Recovery time to start exercising again

Postby Guest » 28 Mar 2008, 19:26

Hi everyone, I'm so happy I found this support forum!! I thought I was alone! I am scheduled for surgery next Friday and am really anxious, but encouraged, by reading all your surgery stories. I have been suffering for about a year and before that I was a pretty avid runner. I stopped running about 4 months ago when the pain was pretty much every day. I'd like to know, for any runners/exercisers out there, How long after surgery till I can start running again??? Even though I'm eating healthy foods, I've gained a ton of weight from not exercising and am anxious to take it off again!!
Thanks everyone!!!

Re: Recovery time to start exercising again

Postby Fissulyna » 28 Mar 2008, 23:07

Hi Shelly : )) !!! I just want to wish you good luck next Friday and may the surgery bring you complete and forever relief !!! Keep us posted and welcome to our board !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 29 Mar 2008, 06:48

Hi Shelly, prayers for your surgery Friday that everything goes well and that you feel better soon. Welcome to the board!
Julie :-)

Postby buttgirl » 30 Mar 2008, 23:22

good luck Shelly. I'm not sure if it is the best thing for me to be doing, but I began exercising again about a week after surgery. I took some short walks 3 days after surgery. I don't think I'll be riding my bike for another month yet though.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Deleted User 5 » 31 Mar 2008, 05:22

I sure would not begin any vigorous exercise for 4-6 weeks after the surgery. The incision itself needs time to heal, as will the fissure, but light exercise is probably a very good thing!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 01 Apr 2008, 05:34

Hi Shelly
Best wishes for a successful operation on Friday. My thoughts & prayers are with you. I resumed exercise (jogging, swimming, weights) 5 weeks post-operation & that was only after I had a post-operation check-up with my surgeon. I started off slowly & took about 3 weeks to really go hard. As Kim said, light exercise is a good thing.
Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Postby Guest » 01 Apr 2008, 21:45

You all are a godsend. I leave tomorrow to go out of town (i'm having my surgery closer to where my family is so I can have some post-op comfort) and I feel so much better having read everyone's stories and tips. Thanks again!!
quick question - Brett, when you had your AF did it hurt to exercise? I find that even when I'm having a good day, if I work out moderately hard (not too hard, no weights), "things" are painfully tight later on....
Thanks again!!

Postby Guest » 02 Apr 2008, 07:26

Hi Shelly
Yes it did hurt to exercise when I had my AF. Having a BM was particularly painful. I think it would have been painful even without exercise, but exercise definitely made it worse. Like you said, ""things" are painfully tight later on". I took it a bit easy whenever I had a fissure - the fissure came & went over a 2 year period, same with the polyps & hemmies. But even moderate exercise hurt. I think sweating made it sting too.
Really hope all the best for your surgery. You won't know yourself soon. Make sure you have plenty of hot salty baths, drink plenty of water, have stool softeners (I use Slippery Elm & eat prunes), eat fruit & vegies, take heaps of rest. Stay clear of constipatory pain killers ( I used Ibuprofen).

Postby Guest » 02 Apr 2008, 11:13

Thanks so much Brett!! Until I found all of you guys I didnt know anyone with an AF, or had even heard of an AF!! Seriously! I appreciate all of your stories and I'm really excited about getting back to the way I was!!

Postby val » 02 Apr 2008, 12:35

Hi there and welcome! Good luck for your surgery!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?