LIS and incontinence

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS and incontinence

Postby Fissulyna » 02 Apr 2008, 18:59

Oh, I think there is no question that one can have kids Image - they probably just think that maybe during delivery sphincter can become more loose and maybe cause some small incontinence issue in rare cases - BUT, as we already agreed Image , cesarian is the way to go anyway Image . You girls have legitimate excuse - I wish I had one or knew what damage childbirth does to pelvic area. I would insist on cesarian with my second baby Image and not go through 23 hour active delivery that ended with forceps delivery and mine broken tailbone Image Image Image !!!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Jen » 03 Apr 2008, 11:43

Ouch Fiss! Geezzzz! I hope you still don't have issues with that!
My doc said it was ok to have kids too, I just wanted everyones opinion. I just get worried about the added pressure on the rectum during the 9 months of pregnancy. I really want to get better because having another baby is really important to me & my hubby. However, if I can't, we are so blessed to have our healthy baby boy!
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Guest » 04 Apr 2008, 06:58

Hi Cinderella
Before I had LIS the surgeon informed me that during his 20 years experience, 5% of patients (after surgery) suffered from incontinence, which almost always lasted for a couple of months & normally during the first few months of their recovery period.
Of that 5%, 85% were older than 65. I've never experienced anything even remotely close to incontinence. It's been 3 months since surgery. Having surgery was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
Hope it all works out for you, whatever you decide.

Postby Guest » 05 Apr 2008, 15:50

Mine did tell me there was a small risk, but pointed out he had never had it happen and I trust him so I didn't give it much thought. He didn't steer me wrong either!

Postby Sorerumpie » 06 Apr 2008, 23:30

Cinderella , My surgeon told me thee was a 20% chance of incontinence , but he wouldn't consider doing the surgery until after three tries with botox injections.
Have you tried the botox ??
Sorerumpie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Fissulyna » 06 Apr 2008, 23:32

John, if you ever decide to have LIS , please go to other CRS. If his stat is 20% - you better run for your life !!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61