LIS and incontinence

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS and incontinence

Postby Cinderella » 01 Apr 2008, 12:54

I am getting scared again. I spoke with my CRS yesterday and expressed him that I would like to have LIS and be able to start a normal life after 1,5 years disaster. However he said that the procedure will not be done before very careful consideration because of the risk of incontinence. Image
I feel that I am living in a hell because I cannot stand this pain but I am getting so scared of incontinence, especially now when my CRS strongly advised that the surgery will not be done without strong arguments. He also brought forward that I must be aware of the risk of incontinence even the risk is minimal.
I just feel that I have two bad options either continue my life with horrible pain or have LIS and potentially suffer of incontinence the rest of my life. Image
You who have had LIS where you warned in advance by your CRS of potential incontinence before the procedure? How big they said the risk would be? What was the final reason that you decided to have LIS? I am just wondering that should I just suffer day by day and waite for some kind of miracle which would heal me or what can I do.
Cinderella
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: LIS and incontinence

Postby juney » 01 Apr 2008, 14:27

incontinence is such a small issue with LIS that you really shouldn't even be thinking about it. unless you're really old, already have incontinence issues, or have popped out like 10 kids already you shouldn't stress about it.
drs have to give you the standard warnings, they do that before any surgery. before i had my uterine fibroids removed the dr told me there was a small chance that my bowels could be perforated. but how often does THAT happen? maybe once i'm guessing. and i definitely wouldn't have let that stop me from having the surgery. they're just obligated to give you every warning under the sun.
i had 2 LIS surgeries w/in 4 months of each other last year and haven't had any issues w/ gas or solid incontinence or any other kind there could be.

if that's the only thing stopping you from having the surgery, please don't let that control your decision. so many people have had successful surgeries and their fissure is now a thing of the past. even though my surgeries weren't exactly successful in healing me, there were no negative consequences from them either.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 01 Apr 2008, 15:03

I was nervous about the incontinence issue, until my most recent CRS explained it to me. You're probably thinking you will need to walk around in a diaper, however, this is not the case! If anything, he told me you could possibly have a little leakage, but nothing to warrant concern. I'm only a week out of my 2nd LIS surgery, but so far have no issues (that includes gas issues either). Definitely do not let this stop you from the surgery! It's you're only real chance at getting the fissure to possibly heal. My doctor said has done 3 & 4 LIS surgeries. People would rather chance a little incontinence than continue with the pain of a fissure!!

Postby Fissulyna » 01 Apr 2008, 15:14

I consulted 4 CRS-s. None of them had a single case of incontinence
in all the years they performed this procedure !!! They all, of course, have to mention that possibility because otherwise they can be sued.
I chose the one that had most years "under his belt" and I also liked that he performed procedure with micro blade - one that is used for eye surgeries. My outside incision was really "microscopic" - like 5 mm in length, maybe too small LOL, since it closed in 2 days ! It was nice because there was no bleeding, but maybe it needed longer time to drain - I don't know ...
All in all - if you have a feeling that your CRS is nervous about procedure - there must be a reason. I would go for second opinion if I were you.
Hope you will be free of pain soon Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Jen » 01 Apr 2008, 15:36

I have been thinking about this lately too - People with loose sphincters are the ones that should not consider LIS. If your even getting fissures - you have a tight butt. People with incontinence do not get fissures. Why would they? Thats the way I see it.
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Fissulyna » 01 Apr 2008, 15:39

ha ha ha, good thinking ; ) !!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby buttgirl » 01 Apr 2008, 16:18

I have had no problems. On CRS I saw said there was a 20% chance of transitory incontinence. I didn't go with him. my CRS said that there was some chance, as there is with any procedure in the area, such as hemmie banding even. He also said that most of it is small amounts and also transitory, meaning it's around for 2-3 mos after surgery and then not anymore. I haven't had any problem gas or otherwise.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby val » 02 Apr 2008, 01:38

Jen's right, its only the people with tight sphincters who get them in the first place!
I wouldn't let it put you off the surgery, but maybe if the CRS is making a big deal of it, rather than just warning you of it like all CRSs do just before, then I would go to see another surgeon who seems more confident. In my opinion, if the LIS is done by a good, competent CRS, then it is a miracle cure and you would have no incontinence issues.
There are risks with EVERY operation, and they have to outline them before they operate or they would be sued, but they are usually not worth considering, especially when the benefits of having the op are so high.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Jen » 02 Apr 2008, 09:02

Just to add on to what Val said - There are risks with every operation! My son got ear tubes in 6 weeks ago and the doctor told me he could go deaf. When I had my colonoscopy thay told me I could have a perforated bowel or even die! They have to tell you this stuff. Also, it seems some surgeons are more confident. I have seen 2 CRS's. One said the incontinence rate is 20% and one says it RARElY happens - I'll go with the guy that says it rarely happens!
The only thing I worry about is more pregnancies after LIS. My CRS says it is ok, but I read a post somewhere that talked about how pregnancy alone puts so much pressure down there, that one should have LIS after they are done having children. I don't know how true this is. Does anyone know?
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby juney » 02 Apr 2008, 16:21

i hope it's possible to have children after LIS cuz i'm only 25 and hope to have kids in the next 10 years or so!!! i take comfort in the fact that my drs said it was completely fine to have kids after LIS.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36