post LIS.....weight gain or exercises any advice??

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

post LIS.....weight gain or exercises any advice??

Postby Guest » 30 Apr 2008, 23:07

I'm 4 weeks past LIS and have been doing pretty well. I had suffereed from fisure for about a yr and had to give all kinds of food and have been on vegetable diet ever since. I weight 150 lbs and i am 6'1, which is very awkward for my height being a guy.Is it advisable to start working out and lifting weight after the operation guys???

Re: post LIS.....weight gain or exercises any advice??

Postby val » 01 May 2008, 01:06

I personally wouldn't want to run the risk of reinjuring myself lifting weights. I used to go to the gym prior to all this fissure business, but I haven't been back since my LIS which was in january. I had planned to go again in a couple of weeks, but mines all flared up again, which proves, I suppose, that it doesn't always heal as planned. It will take 6-8 weeks for your fissure to heal after the surgery, anyway.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 5 » 01 May 2008, 06:02

I would have to say no, not at four weeks. Most likely your fissure is not even healed yet. Perhaps in 6-8 weeks you *might* want to very slowly begin your regimen, but weight-lifting does raise the BP and that coupled withthe strain and movement wouldn't be good. If it were me, I would definitely be waiting!
Deleted User 5

Postby juney » 01 May 2008, 09:22

do you feel good enough to work out?? if you do already, that's great! but like val and kim said...take it easy for awhile longer!!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby buttgirl » 01 May 2008, 10:09

I would start exercising but not anything strenous like weight lifting. In fact, I started walking about 1 week post-op, not a muscle builder but good for keeping in shape.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 01 May 2008, 10:25

I guess if it doesn't hurt-I know for me it causes friction and a feeling of swelling if I move too much but I would watch the weights.

Postby Guest » 02 May 2008, 03:34

thank guys.....how long would it be advicable to start working out after LIS?? Any foods that u guys would recommend to put on some weight? i have completely given up on all cheese and oily foods.

Postby val » 02 May 2008, 05:58

flaxseed oil is high in calories and good to take right now. Protein is vital for healing, but meat is best avoided.
I think its more important to get yourself better and then worry about weight issues. If you start working out too soon and injure yourself you'll have to start all over again!!
Enjoy relaxing and getting better!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 02 May 2008, 08:16

I gain weight by added soy or whey powder to my cereal, I eat a protein bar and add flax seed oil to vegetables. Sometimes I just measure out a tablespoon and drink it. I also have fish oil that I do that with. I have been able to put on almost 10 pounds doing this.

Oh, I guess I should admit that I am feasting on Dairy Queen blizzards but I know that not every one can tolerate dairy and it can be constipating for some. I just take a little extra stool softener. They do have frozen yogurt in the stores now that have probiotics added in so it can help with digestion. That is pretty yummy.

Postby buttgirl » 02 May 2008, 09:28

I eat cashew butter and macademia butter. They are high in good oils and fats. I usually have it ona celery stalk. when I was a kid and very skinny, my drs recommended I eat this twice a day to put on the weight.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67