Second opinion : (

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Second opinion : (

Postby Fissulyna » 14 May 2008, 11:31

Hi buddies Image
Not a good news Image but I just want to stress how important it is to have a second opinion!!!!!

I just came back home and my brain is not working properly after butt exams- so sorry in advance if I might sound "spaced out" because I am :shock:
My second CRS did only external exam and was able to see CLEARLY a fissure at the base of my tag. So, first one did not see it even with a full scope Image . What this one does is that she stretches the perianal skin and also pushes it together and that is how any tear opens clearly if present. My new fissure is short but deep to the muscle and she said that other people would scream of pain in my case - so I might only imagine how my first fissure looked like when I DID scream of pain Image :( ...
So, I have to look at the bright side - I have a fissure that is "minor discomfort" for me now :flush: and that I finally know what is causing my pain. It is not a tag - it is a fissure.
She also concluded that my sphincter is tight and was surprised that it is so strong after 2 hard deliveries and AFTER LIS - but told me that I will be happy about that when I turn 80 which made me laugh since I would rather crap my panties as a granny and be fissure free NOW !!! LOL
She said that I should go back to basics and if needed second LIS would be performed , but she thinks that I would heal with creams and diet since I did before . Second LIS is done on the opposite side of the first one and it is coincidence that she prefers cutting the right side of the muscle and my first did cut on the left so if I need LIS she would be perfect for me.
She in detail explained formation of a skin tag to me and what it is actually and it all makes so much sense. She made a drawing for me and I will do my best to explain without the chart. When fissure forms it is actually a tear that prevents a blood flow from left to the right side of the anal mucosa in that part of the anus. Blood flow is disconnected there and body is trying to find a way to reconnect it and only way it can do it is by making extra skin with new capillaries that is a like a natural bypass !!!! So, fissure is not a result of low blood flow there - it CAUSES disruption to the blood flow !!! By using soaks and creams we try to increase blood flow through the area so that nutrients can come faster to heal the fissure.
So, my dear friends - mystery is solved and I decided not to proceed with skin tag removal since that little bugger is my "bypass" and she said that it will shrink as soon as my fissure is fully healed - as it did when I was pain free for a month. My tag is now enlarged because of the fissure, not because it is "acting up" . In her opinion I should pass the Botox so I will.
That is the my full report dear buddies :cherries: , I have to go now and eat something and soak :bathtub:
LOVE TO ALL :redlove:
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Re: Second opinion : (

Postby juney » 14 May 2008, 11:41

what about this dr makes you trust her more than the first one fiss?
how frustrating when 2 drs tell you 2 completely different things. maybe that's why i'm scared to go ahead and get a 2nd opinion...
what have you decided to do? start using creams again and sticking to the diet, baths, etc?
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 14 May 2008, 11:49

Dear Fiss,
I have only just caught up with your recent posts, you have had such a worriesome time Image
Thank goodness you went for the second opinon,
I am so sorry to hear you have another fissure :( you are going to have to work really hard for this one, but you can do it,
Please have hope and be good to yourself
Take care sweetpea
x

Postby Fissulyna » 14 May 2008, 11:55

I trust this one because she saw my fissure clearly by using special manipulation of my anal area. First one said that it is possible that I have a fissure but that is hard to see if it is thin like paper cut - she obviously did not know about the "trick" of how to MAKE it visible if you squeeze on fissure site perpendicularly !!! She also described my fissure in detail - how big, how deep , where it is including making a diagram for me. She discovered exact source of my pain - what more I need to trust her more LOL - she did what first one was not able to do !
Yes, I will stick with conservative methods for a 8 weeks at least and see how it goes since I am not in terrible pain - if I do not heal I will go fro second LIS although she is very confident that I will heal because I did once before the LIS and once after the LIS and now even though my muscle is not as relaxed as it should be it is more relaxed than before the LIS so , better chance for faster healing.
So, second opinion saved me from unnecessary , painful and possible harmful procedures in MY case.
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Fissulyna » 14 May 2008, 12:01

Thanks Tabby dear Image ! I know - what can I do :roll: . I am just thankful that I am not in terrible pain and I just have to stick with the routine.
Yes, I am so glad I went to this doctor - I am relieved to know what I am dealing with Image .
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Guest » 14 May 2008, 12:04

Wow-what a huge surprise and a change in the last 48 hours! And how amazing that two doctors could have two very different opinions. I am glad too that you went-that was very wise of you and saved you from what could be worse pain. Why does this doctor not think that botox would be a good idea?

Is the fissure in another area than the first one? Or is it the same one? Gosh, how crazy. But at least you know why it is hurting and she seemed to have explained it in detail. That is a good explanation of a skintag. I think we should refer people to the explanation when it comes up again. Is it the same as a sentinel pile do you think?

I hope your bottom settles down quickly. Did you have to do an enema?

Postby cherylk » 14 May 2008, 12:07

My local CRS doc was also able to diagnose my fissure by pulling apart the area. Maybe if some of these docs had similar problems they would be more understanding of our pain and frustrations! Confidence in the doc is very important.
I like your smiley face guy coming out of the toilet!! Here's some humor for all--yesteray while in the bathroom I heard something fall onto the floor. It was the applicator that I use for the cream which evidently had stuck to my skin somewhere after I had used it in the bed. I honestly do not know from whence the applicator came!! I'm betting people with cancer and other ailments have alternatives from which to choose which could be mind boggling (which plan to follow) for them.
Good health to all,
Cheryl K.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby buttgirl » 14 May 2008, 12:24

Hi fiss,
sorry to hear about that. you were doing so well there for a while! At least you know what it is.
I'd still keep the botox as an option, but it is good to be doing the alternative therapy for a while.
the explanation about the sking tag makes sense--it didn't really seemed too much like scar tissue to me.
keep us posted as to how things go.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Fissulyna » 14 May 2008, 12:29

Hi Lecia babe :_): ,
Yes, I am so glad that I know now what I am dealing with - I mean it might sound like oxymoron - but I feel relieved. Now I know exactly what to do ! When you don't have definitive answer you have to guess and "shoot blindfolded" and hope for the best Image . Now it is strait forward therapy - no guess work which is GREAT relief for me. Maybe my panic actually was my "gut feeling" that it was wrong approach, no matter how much I initially wanted it :roll: .
Fissure is on the same exact place - so it is old one opening Image !
She did not like Botox because she said that creams have better report in % of healing and that administering it can have very bad side effects if needle punctures inside vanes or goes into neighboring muscle or causes infection in puncture site. She also said that for some patients it wears off in just 3 weeks and for some lasts for 3 months so is not reliable - she just was not impressed with ratio of pros and cons and success rate. I don't think that she made up anything because all of that I read in disclosure that was handed to me first time around when I was offered Botox - that is why I skipped it all together. For some people it can work - obviously Image - and power to them !!!
No, I did not have to have enema for this one - it was for the "laser guy" that I had app. next Tuesday - but now I don't need him, thanks God !
Thanks buddy for your concern - I will have to pamper my butt again - oh well - could be worse Image
Chris Image Image Image - yeah , I know - I have to keep in mind that I did so well for long time and just make my butt go there again Image . Since my pain is not horrible -for which I am eternally grateful to "higher power" - I think I can do it - end hey - if not - snip-snap again LOL!!!
Be very careful, dear buddy, keep using that Nefedapine cream and all - make it seal really tight !!!!
LOVE YOU GUYS Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby juney » 14 May 2008, 12:40

that's so frustrating that you have a fissure again in the same place! i hope your first LIS will at least help in keeping your sphincter loose enough to heal this one quickly! i feel like you're in the same place i was after my 1st surgery - still suffering and facing a 2nd surgery. It's so daunting. Try to stay hopeful, as you usually do. i'm sure you'll heal this one up in no time! and if you (and all of us) have to stay on the "fissure diet" forever, at least we'll be nice and healthy in our old age!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36