Grains

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Grains

Postby cherylk » 07 Jun 2008, 20:17

Guys and gals,
Do most of you eat whole grains? And if so, what in particular? I am awaiting the Quinoa flour that I had to order wholesale as my health food store stopped carrying it. I make my own bread with that. For us IBS sufferers I continue to read about wheat being bad. I am trying to find barley again at a grocery store and plan to start cooking with that also. I eat oatmeal every morning. I know fruits and veggies are great, but I think grains are where the calories are. I feel I am too thin and am trying to put on a few extra pounds.
Thanks for any feedback,
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Re: Grains

Postby Fissulyna » 07 Jun 2008, 23:06

Cheryl - what helped me gain weight was putting one table spoon of coconut oil in my oatmeal every morning and eating dried fruits ( they are great source of fiber too and hi in calories ).
Hope it helps !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 08 Jun 2008, 05:24

Another fantastic tip Fiss, Gonna try this ! Image
I have the same problem Cheryl, i eat like a horse but always remain slim, i am 5,6 and weigh just over 9 stones !
When i first had my IBS my body was such a state and i dropped to 7 stones i looked awful, that was when my daughter was first born and i just forgot to eat !!!
I wouldnt skip one meal now !
I swear by my porridge every morning :D and for me and my IBS its the things like white bread, white pasta/rice, milk, cream, cheese, junk food and red meat that cause me problems, everything is brown now :)

Postby cherylk » 08 Jun 2008, 05:51

Tabby,
How are you feeling? How much is 9 stones in pounds?? You just have IBS-C, right? In other words, you don't swing between diarrhea and constipation. Also, how many grams of fiber do you try to take in daily? I am between 20-30 grams. Too much and I get a stomach ache. I really would prefer to get my colon taken out.
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Postby cherylk » 08 Jun 2008, 05:52

Fiss,
Are you trying to gain weight also??
Thanks,
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Postby Guest » 08 Jun 2008, 06:16

9 stones = 126 pounds ... :google:
I am feeling alot better today , Thank you Cheryl Image
Yes my IBS tends to be constipation Image
My IBS comes in times of stress, so i do not suffer all the time, its almost like a build up of stress for me then bang !!
I try not to let that build up happen and try to relax everyday and breathe Image
As for fibre watch i have been there before with my my IBS and how much fibre i should be taking, i used to note all foods down, this way i could see if foods were causng a problem and how much fibre i had eaten per day, to be honest it got very tiresome and i knocked that on the head years ago, i suppose from that i know what i should be eating per day to obtain enough fibre for me :roll:
Yes too much fibre is very gripey on the tummy...its finding that balance isnt it Image

Postby cherylk » 08 Jun 2008, 06:50

Tabby,
Very hard to find a balance. At least I have one doc that I trust and have confidence in--even if he is 6 hours away from me, but he seems always willing to talk with me on the phone which means a lot to me. I wrote him a letter last Friday, so he should receive it tomorrow.
Cheryl
P.S. I know this prob isn't as bad as many--MS, cancer, etc., but nonetheless, it greatly affects our lives and butts!!!!!!
cherylk
VIP

Postby Jen » 08 Jun 2008, 08:59

Cheryl -
I sprinkle flax seed on my cereal in the am. I do this to keep me regular, however, flax seed does have quite a bit of fat in it.
I have the opposite problem - I always want to loose weight after my baby last year! Image I am 5' 5" and weigh about 150 pounds. I just can't get off the rest of my baby weight (if I can even be called baby weight after a year :))! I am in good shape though - I run 3 miles a day 3 times a week. Maybe I am eatting too much flax seed..... Image
Jen Image
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Jo » 08 Jun 2008, 09:14

Jen,
I grind flax seed up everyday and put in my oatmeal. I quit for awhile because I really don't need any extra calories either, there is always an extra 5 or 10 pounds I want to lose. Baby fat from years (many) ago!!
I recently decided the flax was worth the calories and started putting it in again!
Guess I need to cut down somewhere else... Image
Jo
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Guest » 08 Jun 2008, 09:22

I use flax seed oil on veggies and brown rice. It gives it kind of a nutty flavor.

I love rice-it is supposed to be the most hypoallergenic grain I believe. I used to eat it as a snack after school with butter and soy sauce!

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion