Back from the Doc.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Back from the Doc.

Postby erik » 08 Aug 2008, 16:46

Well I am back from the CRS. He checked me out, really checked out my bum, finger, stretched me apart, pushed, pinched etc.
good news is I have no abcess, fistula etc. he said my fissure is about 90% healed but still has a little way to go. He did not recommend a second LIS at this point.
He gave me .3% nifedipine cream to try for a couple of months to get that 10% healed. If not then , I can live with it or get a full work up (colonscopy and barrium enema) prior to having another LIS done.
He did an anal manometer test (pressure test) and said that my resting pressure is a little above normal but not as bad as it was prior to my 1st LIS.
Hopefully the cream will help the healing. has anyone else used nifedipine cream? did it work, how did you apply it etc.
other than that things are good. I have lost a healthy 10 pounds (I am a lean machine now) and I have been biking to work everyday....18 miles total (9 each way)
I am keeping my fingers & sphincters crossed. hopefully this will be it for me.
thanks everyone!
ERik
erik
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Re: Back from the Doc.

Postby Jen » 08 Aug 2008, 16:56

Erik -
I was on nifedipine for 2 months and I have to be honest with you - I did not like it much. I did have one setback on it (3 days after starting) and my fissure broke again a day after getting off of it. The nitro really worked alot better for me. I hope the nifedipine works better for you than it did for me. Did your doc tell you to apply it internally?
BTW - What kind of symptoms are you currently having?
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Fissulyna » 08 Aug 2008, 16:58

I am glad you had exam Eric and all looks fine except that 10% of needed healing ! Your CRS is very good obviously and he even did manometry test for you, kudos to him !!!!
I used Nef. cream and it did help - I used it in combo with Nitro - I applied it outside always per my CRSs instructions. Nef. you can apply more liberally than Nitro. Nitro is like - take a q-tip size of cream blob while Nif. is like take an half of inch of "blob" - so - good luck Eric. May you heal completely !!! I also still have trouble after first LIS and might need second one soon. I have my colonoscopy scheduled for August 21st.
Does biking bothers your bum? I wish I can bike !
Best of luck with everything !!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby happyass » 08 Aug 2008, 17:34

erik i am so happy for you.
that is great news and i hope that you keep up the great work.
i wish i could lose those 10 lbs too...well, i want to lose 40 lbs. maybe the lemonade diet is in my future.
anyway, good luck with the nef and keep riding that bike!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Deleted User 5 » 08 Aug 2008, 17:50

It's good to hear you are 90% there and don't need the LIS!
I was never given any instructions on how to use the nefedipine, but I got better results the further up I could get it. It takes just under two weeks for it to begin working well, from sources I found on the internet, and that proved true with me, anyway.
I also found that cessation was followed by misery, so I never stopped using it again, until surgery.
Bicycle or motorcycle?
Deleted User 5

Postby cherylk » 08 Aug 2008, 17:50

Erik,
How was the anal mammometry test for you? Was it painful and did you need to take an enema prior? I am probably going to have that test very soon, and that is the reason for my ???'s. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 08 Aug 2008, 17:59

That is good news, indeed and the reassurance I think you needed. I used diltiazem (which is the same type of med) and had good results with it. It took 4 months of using it 3-4 times a day with warm baths and careful dietary modifications.

Postby erik » 08 Aug 2008, 18:37

bicycle.
the test was no pain at all. they simply put a well lubed little probe (like an ob tampon) up there, let the muscles settle and then see how much pressure is down there, no bigger than a small finger.
easy.
thanks everyone, i will keep you posted. also got some delicious tea in the mail today from my favorite tea site...specialteas.com
tea helps me feel better, even when I am hurting.
thanks again!
Erik
erik
Salt Bather

Postby Fissulyna » 08 Aug 2008, 19:51

What is your favorite tea Eric ? There are many tea "boutiques" in my area and they offer free sampling - I go crazy in them LOL, have no shame of taking 10 samples of the same tea ha ha ha !!!
I am so happy for you and the prospect of getting rid of butt problem finally and forever !!! Is your doctor in Denver, if you do not mind me asking ?
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby erik » 08 Aug 2008, 20:50

He was in the springs but is moving to Mass. this month. Dr. William Rudolph. MD.
erik
Salt Bather