Butt Cramps

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Butt Cramps

Postby erik » 17 Nov 2008, 21:50

Hello All,
I am back. So you may ask, what has erik been up to. Fun things and not so fun things.
First off my fissure has not bled in months. so I am at 90% now. that is good, the bad is I am and was still having constant rectal pain.
so I went to a new CRS who is great, here is her website, she is the one in the middle.
http://www.kolonokopelli.com/
I went in for an exam, she really checked me out. Says I have a chronic fissure, typical spot...etc. etc.
I explained my dull, aching pain to her, and the fact I have already had an LIS.
she asked if I had "butt cramps" and I said huh? why yes I do.
javascript:emoticonp('Image')
I was stunned, had never been asked that before, she had me take the position again, and when inside of me said does it hurt here.
yes...and o my god.
she said I have levator ani syndrome. huh?
Here take some flexeril, try this massage and some lidicane cream.
I did, and the pain I have been feeling for months is slowly receding. I am on day two. awesome.
Levator ani syndrome =
Levator ani syndrome is one cause of chronic pelvic pain. The typical symptoms of levator ani syndrome include rectal butt spasms, rectum pain and tightness, and a sensation of fullness. It is sometimes associated with proctalgia fugax, which is defined as a short, sharp pain in the rectum. Levator ani syndrome, on the other hand, tends to be more constant pain. The pain is located in the pelvic floor muscles in the rectum, mainly the levator ani muscle.
The root cause is pelvic floor muscle tension or myalgia. In simple terms, it is muscle knots in the internal walls of the rectum. These "knots" are usually referred to as trigger points. When these tiny knots are active, they can cause great pain and a sensation of tightness and burning in the rectal area. This is typical of levator ani syndrome.
Common Levator Ani Syndrome Symptoms
* Rectal Pain and Burning
* Rectal tightness and muscle spasm
What is the treatment for Levator Ani Syndrome?
The common types of treatment for levator ani syndrome are usually muscle relaxants, hot baths, and proper diet and exercise. In most cases, there is an underlying element of chronic stress and anxiety which causes these muscles to tighten up and spasm. This pelvic floor muscle tension causes pain and burning. In order for most cases of levator ani syndrome to be resolved, trigger point therapy or internal massage on the levator ani/rectal muscles can bring great relief. The treatment itself can be very painful, but the overall relief from treatment can be felt almost immediately.
so because I have had bum problems for two years I asked to have a full colonoscopy done. I just would feel better to know that nothing else is going on down there. Inflammatory bowel problems have always been a great worry of mine (even though I have little to no stomach pain and no diarrhea).
so the 3rd of December I get scoped. she said it would be a good idea.
i finally found a doc that cares, one who in one fell swoop figured out what the deal was, made my pain alot better and has put me on the road to peace of mind.
a hug from me to all of you.
god bless. i have alot to be thankful for next week.
erik.
P.S. I still read the board regularly and think of all of you often.
erik
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Re: Butt Cramps

Postby SunshineHope » 17 Nov 2008, 23:15

Wow!!! Erik! That is great to hear. Congrats on finding a doctor that seems to understand. Levator ani syndrome sounds so interesting, I have a feeling this may be what my grandmother has. She's had all of those symptoms and no doctor has been able to tell her what her problem is. She especially feels the burning, tightness, and sensation of fullness. Congratulations to you though for connecting with a doctor that knew what they were talking about!!
Let us know how the medicine goes. Congrats on the not bleeding... So many people long for that day.
Good to hear from you and happy healing!
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Fissulyna » 18 Nov 2008, 01:20

Yes, it is so easy to diagnose that condition and I do not know why it is not regular part of CRS exam. Only one of my CRSs did that exam and concluded that I definitely do not have it.
I am so happy for you Erik Image May your pain stay at bay forever and ever Image Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby val » 18 Nov 2008, 02:53

Image thats great news Erik! And so wonderful you found a good, competent doctor - what a very rare species they are!!!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby cherylk » 18 Nov 2008, 07:15

Erik,
That is what one CRS thought I had also. Happy for your good news.
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 18 Nov 2008, 08:08

Thank you so much for posting, Erik! I have often wondered if I have this as I have this knot that feels like muscle tightness and I have pain and burning. I just thought the burning was maybe something in my poop!
I havent been to the website yet but I hope she is in Colorado. Or did you move? Maybe I can go see her when I go out there. It might be worth a shot. No one has ever really done a complete analysis as to if I have this or not. It was kind of like, no, you don't, as I dont fit it completely.
I do notice that if I gently put pressure on that knot it seems to help.
Gosh, I hope that this can be an end to your suffering. 90% is great but it would be wonderful not to have this constant reminder of something being not quite right down there.
Take care. I might print out this page and take it to my massage therapist too and see what she thinks.

Postby Guest » 18 Nov 2008, 08:15

Shoot-you moved to Arizona! Image

Postby Guest » 18 Nov 2008, 08:23

Make me wonder too Lecia !!!
I might ask about this too Image Can this be picked up on during a DRE ????
Eric... I am glad you have some answers to your problem Image
I wish you all the best for the scope !
Good luck Image

Postby juney » 18 Nov 2008, 14:20

erik - although you haven't been bleeding, did you still have pain with BM? did the pain you felt start with BM and go on afterwards?
i'm glad you've finally found an answer, i hope this is the beginning of the end for you :)
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby erik » 20 Nov 2008, 09:00

Juney,
A little, mostly an ache after I go that lasts most all day. I am going in to get a colonoscopy to ensure that nothing else is wrong. I don't really have any stomach pain or diarrhea or blood in my stool but I want it for peace of mind. I still have a shallow fissure that simply won't heal all the way. my greatest fear is that I have crohns or something. If I did I would lose my job in the military. Things are tolerable for me but I want to be at 99% and not always 85%-90% healed.
my doctor recommended i get scoped out and i have to say while totally nervous/anxious about it I just want to move on with my life. a fissure I can deal with, it has unfortunately become a part of me, crohns not so much, that would be devastating but not fatal. life will go on.
wishing you the best and the positive power to heal.
erik
erik
Salt Bather

Topics: 19