now balancing 2 diets

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

now balancing 2 diets

Postby small_flower » 16 Feb 2009, 21:35

Hello all,
Well after a small spell I had at work and a visit to the doctor, I have found out that I have anemia and very low blood pressure. So naturally, the doctor told me to go on the slow fe iron supplements. Iron supplements, are very constipating. I am having a lot of difficulty fitting 25 grams of fiber and all of my iron into my diet. Its very frustrating Image
I am very glad that this diagnosis wasn't anything super serious, it could've been a lot worse right? However, that still leaves me with trying to figure out how I am now going to balance this iron thing with my fissure diet.
I don't suppose anyone else has this problem?
xo
Kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Re: now balancing 2 diets

Postby Corsi » 17 Feb 2009, 04:23

I was low on iron and I had to have 14 iron infusions at the hospital. It was very effective!! Ask your doctor...
Iron supplements are hopeless, they can really constipate us...
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby cherylk » 17 Feb 2009, 06:29

I took an iron supplement for anemia that was not constipating, but I don't remember what it was as that was many years ago. But I think some are more constipating than others. Anemia is a common problem, especially for premenaposal females. My doctor at the time also gave me a list of iron-rich foods. You could probably do a google search for that. Good luck.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 17 Feb 2009, 07:49

If you eat a small bowl of all bran buds 1/3 cup you will get at least 13 grams of fiber right there so I would try that. You dont have to use milk, just munch on them throughout the day.
I took a stool softener (with doctors permission) when I was pregnant because the iron was constipating. Maybe that is something you can try? How low is your iron?

Postby juney » 17 Feb 2009, 11:09

i had uterine fibroids and would bleed 20-25 days a month so i became extremely anemic. i resisted iron supplements for a long time b/c of the constipation but finally had to start taking them..this was last year after my 2nd surgery. i wasn't healing anyway so i don't know if it made a difference. there are slow-release supplements you can buy (OTC at any drug store) that are easy on your stomach. here's a link to the brand i took: http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=277464&productId=277464&navAction=jump&navCount=3
i don't think you'll have a problem if you just take 1 a day. over a couple months my blood levels were back to "normal"
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Fissulyna » 17 Feb 2009, 15:07

There is an iron supplement that is not suppose to constipate. I tried it and it actually made my poop mushy but my tummy is weird , so please if you want to try it start slow.
It is called Ferrochel Ferrous Bisglycinate Chelate.
If your iron is very low - you will need many moths to see any results.
Best of luck :rainbow:
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby cherylk » 22 Feb 2009, 07:04

Kate,
I recently heard about this iron supplement on the radio. Supposed to be good for people with digestive issues: bifera.com
Also, when I was trying to gain weight Image , I drank Ensure with fiber, which has 3 grams of fiber and also has about 30% of the MDR for iron--it's not constipating. Just a couple of suggestions. Anemia can make a person feel week and tired.
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby small_flower » 22 Feb 2009, 11:36

Thanks for the thoughts cheryl. I will check out the bifera. I was also reading in one of my grandmothers alternative medicine books that doctors often prescribe iron supplements, but the type of iron in the supplement is not as well absorbed by the body as other types. So I am going to look into that too.
K..
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62