Coconut Oil

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Coconut Oil

Postby erik » 06 Mar 2009, 08:05

All,
I found this on the net last week, really is working for me. Coconut oil has been the best balm/salve/ointment I have tried on my arse. helps it heal, keeps it clean, lubed and non-itchy. Also has a very mild smell and washes off easily. I will be posting a much longer diatribe soon. Have my last CRS appointment Monday to see how I healed after my fissurectomy. Yes, I took the leap and I really think it payed off.
much love to you all.
erik.
Natural Ways to Promote Healing of an Anal Fissure
What follows are natural ways to prevent and heal a chronic anal fissure:
1. Avoid using soap on your anus
It's best to wash your anus with warm or hot water without the use of soap or other personal care products. Regular use of soap to clean your anus can cause the lining of your anal canal to become dry, predisposing it to tears when stretched excessively.
2. If your anal sphincter is dry or you have an existing fissure, use coconut oil to moisturize the area.
Coconut oil is an excellent moisturizer for all of your body's linings. Coconut oil also appears to have healing properties for wounds - health practitioners have long used coconut oil to effectively treat bed sores and other skin lesions.
Don't be afraid to apply coconut oil to your anal sphincter several times a day. If your anus is dry or you have a chronic fissure, it's best to apply coconut oil to the area throughout the day and before you go to bed.
3. Take a warm or hot bath at least once a day.
Immersing your body in warm or hot water can help relax your internal anal sphincter, which will allow better blood flow to the area.
Consider visualizing rich blood flow to your anal sphincter as you soak in the tub, as we know that the mind-body connection is capable of producing real physiological effects. To facilitate the use of visualization to promote rich blood flow to your anus, try placing one of your hands against your perineum (the region between your genitals and your anus) to give your mind a palpable target.
4. Work at experiencing comfortable bowel movements.
For comprehensive information on how to promote healthy bowel movements, please view:
5. Strive to feel emotionally balanced.
None of the above is likely to lead to lasting improvement unless you work at consistently feeling emotionally balanced.
If you're not sure where to begin with addressing your emotional stressors, please have a look at the mind-body exercises found here:
Mind-Body Exercises for Optimal Emotional Health
Although the article cited above was originally written for people looking for help with depression, the mind-body exercises found in that article can be extremely helpful when looking to feel emotionally balanced.
erik
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Re: Coconut Oil

Postby Guest » 06 Mar 2009, 08:22

Thanks, Erik! Glad you are doing better. I use coconut oil on my skin and hair but hadn't thought about using it on the anus. Thank you for the recommendation. Coconut oil is also a wonderful health food too.
It comes in a jar that is solid at room temperature but with body heat will melt quickly.
Thank you for the tips and suggestions! :paddysmiley2:

Postby cherylk » 06 Mar 2009, 08:33

Thanks, Erik. Great tips in the article!! Image I might try coconut oil. Haven't b/4 heard of that one. Be sure to give an update after your appointment. When did you have your fissurectomy??
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 06 Mar 2009, 16:59

This is interesting Eric !
I hope you are doing well after your fissurectomy

Postby juney » 06 Mar 2009, 17:07

erik i didn't realize you were having fissurectomy! how long ago? how are you doing? it's a tough surgery, ughhh it was hell for me the first 3 or 4 months.
i hope you're recovering well and this finally ends your problems! thanks for the article. can you post the link?? it has some helpful info, especially the emotional well-being stuff. that's one of my biggest problems.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby cherylk » 06 Mar 2009, 17:32

I would also like to know more about the mind/body/emotional exercises. Just read about some in my "Spriritual Healing" book.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby erik » 06 Mar 2009, 23:48

http://drbenkim.com/anal-fissure-heal.htm
more to come.
erik. :paddysmiley1:
erik
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Postby Jen » 07 Mar 2009, 00:34

Thanks for the info erik. I actually use coconut oil on a daily basis with my son's skin condition so I always have alot on hand anyway. Might as well try it out on myself too...:)
Please tell your story about your fissurectomy when you have time. Is that what the doctor suggested after everything you have been through? I am very interested because I always stay 90% healed and I think sometimes a fissurectomy would do the trick for me too since my spasms are gone and I only have a problem with a small piece of scar tissue.
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby derryboy » 11 Mar 2009, 05:48

ive saw this n ebay, its seems pretty cheap to
but very weary, think i should risk buyn it ooff there
or my local health shop,
derryboy
King Fissure

Topics: 20

Postby Guest » 11 Mar 2009, 07:00

I would just get it locally if you can but if it is hard to get out to get some ebay would be fine. Just make sure their feedback is good and it is pure coconut oil. My favorite brand is Garden of life.