Fissure safe milk

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Fissure safe milk

Postby afugh!! » 02 Oct 2009, 03:29

My cousin bought me Fiber One Cereals but I've been neglecting it since the joy of eating it involves milk.Not willing to go as far as soy milk but I'm wondering if it's safe to drink it with some kind of low fat milk?I ate a couple of bowls of it dry but as tasty as it is dry well.....its dry Image.She bought me a box of Fiber One Granola Bars and thats what I've been munching on for breakfast and I gotta say its quite addicting,I know too much fiber is bad but dang I can eat 3 of them in a row.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Re: Fissure safe milk

Postby cherylk » 02 Oct 2009, 06:45

I used to eat Fiber One cereal every morning. Cannot imagine eating it w/o milk! I stopped eating it when my GI doc told me that is probably too much fiber all at once for my IBS.
There are many alternative to cow's milk! I have tried hemp milk from the health food store, and there are rice milks and almond milks. I use soy myself in my oatmeal now, but use regular cow's milk if I run out of soy. We recently rec'd a Fiber One toaster pastry in the mail as a free sample; it has 5 grams of fiber per pastry. Could you try that? How much fiber is in the Fiber One granola bar?
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby afugh!! » 03 Oct 2009, 02:56

Well my doc says dairy is not good for me while I have this fissure so I've been avoiding it,but ya when it comes to milk I'm just a cow person.I was just wondering if like 2% skim or low fat milk won't do any harm.Are those toaster pastries like the pop tarts?I went to the grocery store earlier and picked up the fudge flavored ones and they taste really good.I bought the Fiber One pancakes,pastries,and some more granola bars.The granola bars has 9 grams of fiber,they are great to have in your bag/purse if your on the go and need a quick fiber fix :PI recommend you get some.
Last edited by afugh!! on 03 Oct 2009, 03:00, edited 1 time in total.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby afugh!! » 03 Oct 2009, 03:00

Oh and yeah the Fiber One cereal does pack a bit too much fiber at one time,13 grams gets me really gassy but it does take care of 35% of your fiber for the rest of the day.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 03 Oct 2009, 06:47

I'll check into the fiber one bars for my upcoming trip. Image We also rec'd a coupon for Fiber One muffins, but we haven't yet tried those. I think milk is constipating, no matter if it is skim, 2%, or whole, but that is just my opinion, and every person might be different. Cooked milk (in pudding, for example) isn't as bad.
cherylk
VIP

Postby suzyljank » 03 Oct 2009, 15:04

Hi, I have IBS too and when my fissure was active I had milk with my shredded wheat. I just used 1% milk and I used acidophilus tablets with it. Never had a problem. I know milk can be constipating and so can cheese but I still eat both, with the addition of all the fiber I eat and benefiber and miralax and drinking more liquids a little of each shouldn't cause problems unless you're lactose intolerant and they still make lactaid milk for that. I like the Mini Frosted Shredded Wheat Big Bite size because each bisquit has a gram of fiber so you can really select how much fiber you want to eat at one time. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby afugh!! » 03 Oct 2009, 15:56

Ya when I eat cheese I can feel it backing me up during bm's,I had whole milk with my oatmeal 3 months ago but my bm went smoothly anyhow.My fissure is healing pretty well and I just don't want to mess things up since I've gotten this far,another retear before Christmas would just put me in the suck.I've been neglecting the cereal and I got other Fiber One breakfast goodies that it will get stale,I'll just nibble on it here and there I suppose.I had some Mini Frosted Wheats also Suzy,they're more dry and tastless than Fiber Ones and I ended up throwing them out because they got stale Image couldn't even snack om them.Wouldv'e gotten the Fiber One muffins but I'm addicted to these blueberry muffins I get from Costco,they pack a ton fo blueberries and they are super yummy.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby afugh!! » 03 Oct 2009, 17:51

Btw Cheryl do you if the pastries are 5 grams per pastry or is it 5 grams per pack since they contain 2?The label is very vague about it.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 03 Oct 2009, 18:10

The box says 1 serving=5 gm of fiber. There are 2 servings per container according to the box. This is a sample toaster pastry box that cannot be sold (says that on the box). I think there are 6 servings in a regular size toaster pastry box.
cherylk
VIP

Postby afugh!! » 03 Oct 2009, 20:08

Oh ok so its 5 per pastry,ugh the fudge ones I ate yesterday I think made my bm a struggle today.I ate some fudge again for breakfast then I got to thinking why my bm was blotchy instead of pastie and I read on the label it contained milk.Popped an extra 50 mg of colace today and hopefully it will come out smooth tomorrow.Only got one packet of fudge left I guess I'll hold off on that.Surprisingly though my fissure has not bothered me today even with the rough bm,I'll take that as a good sign.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist