Needing advice/encouragement

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Needing advice/encouragement

Postby fissure101 » 30 Oct 2009, 10:40

If you are having pain only during the BM and not afterwords, that may be a good sign. It may mean that the LIS made your sphincter relaxed enough so that there is not much spasm afterwords.
Like others said - make sure that things are soft and give it some more time. After that if your BM is soft and your are still having pain during BM, have a discussion with your CRS.
I hope you'll feel better soon.
fissure101
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Fissulyna » 01 Nov 2009, 01:45

Hey Michele - Fissy here - ha ha - what a coincidence LOL !Yes , I was not here for ions , but today stopped to say "Happy Halloween " to buds here - and I stumbled now on this thread randomly - so first HUG, than let me confirm - I had 2 LIS surgeries, not 3. I also had fissurectomy both times. Now- to answer some of your questions
1) sometimes muscle tissue can heal COMPLETELY back and my second surgeon told me that it is rare but it happened to me !!!!! He could not even feel the scar tissue on the place where it was cut !!!!!
2) second time he used scalpel with a hook - so it will tear-off strands of a muscle and not make nice clean cut that can fuse together again
3) can surgeon NOT do procedure and not inform - definitely and it can go other way around too ! I was NOT informed that I had fissurectomy first time arround
4) are you my CA buddy ??? If yes than go to Dr. Kim Ran
in Walnut Creek (John Muir center) sp. ??, if anybody can help you it will be him !!!!!!! I would have him operate on my heart LOL even though he is butt surgeon , LOL, I know he would care and really do his best ; ). You can tell him I sent you - he is really fantastic person !!!!
5) NEVER loose hope - NEVER !!!!! People get healed EVERY day - so can you !!!!! TRUST ME !!!!
6) Best of luck and call any time - OK ???!!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 01 Nov 2009, 23:31

Fissulnya

1) sometimes muscle tissue can heal COMPLETELY back and my second surgeon told me that it is rare but it happened to me !!!!! He could not even feel the scar tissue on the place where it was cut !!!!!
2) second time he used scalpel with a hook - so it will tear-off strands of a muscle and not make nice clean cut that can fuse together again

Hi, I find your two comments above really really interesting. My new CRS said he could not feel any scar tissue from my previous two LIS nor could he see anything on the ultrasound. I am wondering whether my muscle has healed completely both times - so well that there has not been much of a reduction in the muscle resting pressure. Did he explain anymore about the second LIS you had? I've never heard of that approach (not a clean cut) but am wondering whether I shouldn't raise it when I see my CRS in two weeks. Did he do any manometry tests before the second surgery or an ultrasound?
Regards
Charles

Postby Fissulyna » 02 Nov 2009, 00:17

Hi Charles : )
No, I never had ultrasound done , but 3 CRSs confirmed that my anus regained strength after the first LIS. It was supertonic - no doubt about that ! I did not even need them to tell me that - I could feel it becoming stronger and stronger over the period of 3 months !!! I decided to see 4th CRS since 3 previous ones were reluctant to do anything about that - were worried about their "butts" being on the line with risky second procedure LOL. When he inserted his finger in my anus he said " ooooohhhhh" !!!! LOL being surprised of "my super-anus" tonicity . So, there was never a question of "IF" I need to loosen it up - but who would do it and when ...
He decided to do "hook scalpel" procedure after he examined me in detail when I was under heavy sedation on the surgery table , ready for the second LIS. He discovered at that point that I do not even have a scar tissue.
He informed me about it all after I woke up - what he did and why and how. I would raise any question in your place - if your CRS does not want to be questioned - run to another one ; ) !
There are several ways in which sphincter can be cut - also choice of a scalpel or cautery (cutting by burning the tissue).
Best of luck !
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Guest » 02 Nov 2009, 01:03

Hi - thanks heaps for that feedback - really helpful. Like you I knew a few weeks after the first LIS there was no reduction in sphincter muscle resting pressure. After the second, I have felt there has been a reduction but maybe not enough - and 0.5% nifedipine on top of that can't quite get me over the hill. The new CRS did say when I first saw him a month ago that I have good muscle tonicity. I assume you have not had any incontinence issues since your second?
Trust you keep well - it must feel great!
Charles

Postby Fissulyna » 19 Nov 2009, 00:48

Yeap - I healed completely and no incontinence ! KTW lol My butt fees great - I just need to work on my other body-parts now Image Image Image And on the bunch of other problems Image Image Image Image Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby suzyljank » 19 Nov 2009, 07:16

Hi, are you sure the LIS didn't work. I had mine a year ago and it seemed to work for just a short time and then I tightened up again. Not as bad but still tight. Went back to the CRS numerous times and he said that it's actually the scar tissue (stenosis) from previous hemmie surgery that has narrowed the opening and that's what probably caused my fissures in the first place. He recommends the sliding flap anoplasty (like a flap) surgery because it would widen the opening with fresh tissue that can stretch, apparently scar tissue doesn't stretch that's why all the tears. Frankly I'm terrified of it. More pain but I just talked to someone who had it, she said it was her last resort, she can't have anymore surgeries. She described it in detail, explained the recovery is much longer than LIS but it's been 2 years for her and it helped her alot so I have alot to think about. I sure hope you find what works for you. All the best Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby cherylk » 19 Nov 2009, 07:56

My nurse at Mayos said many people have "pelvic floor dysfunction" like I did, which was diagnosed with the anal manometry test. You might want to check on that!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 19 Nov 2009, 15:50

Hi Michelle - trust you are experiencing a little less pain. Re your early question about someone having three LIS - I have just seen my new CRS and he will be doing a third one in just over three weeks time. The basis for his decision is that (i) there is no evidence of any sphincter muscle damage from the previous 2X LIS with ultrasound (see above), and (ii) the manometry tests showed yesterday that the resting pressure of the muscle is still above normal. Of course, he explained there is no guarantee that this will improve things nor that it won't result in incontinence as nothing is 100% definite with these beasts, however, weighing it all up he considers that there is reasonable likelihood of a good outcome. I will post here again after the surgery.