BM blockage, by hemorrhoid?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

BM blockage, by hemorrhoid?

Postby William » 23 Nov 2009, 05:25

As of about a week ago, BMs became more difficult. It feels as if something is blocking the passage of stool, so I have to strain a bit. Unfortunately, this is aggravating my fissure. It started just as I was getting over an external hemorrhoid, and I'm guessing that it's a badly placed internal one. Preparation H seems to help some, but the thing doesn't seem to be getting any better. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this (or just sympathy Image)?
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Re: BM blockage, by hemorrhoid?

Postby suzyljank » 23 Nov 2009, 06:42

Hi, ouch I had bad hemmies a long time ago, unfortunately for me I was part of the 1% that had to have emergency surgery because I was bleeding out. But I do remember that when they were swollen the only way I could have a bm was if it was like water and even then it was difficult. Try soaking in a warm bath, buy some nupercainal ointment if you can, it has some lidocaine in to and that helps numbs things a bit. Drink more liquids and add fiber to your diet. I'd recommend miralax too. It keeps your stools soft and that usually is easier to pass. One more trick I used to sit on a warm heating pad before I had to go. It relaxes the muscles. It might be worth a try. Good luck. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 23 Nov 2009, 13:10

If you feel like there's some kind of blockage and want to reduce the pain from it, I'd second Suzy's suggestion of Nupercainal. Its active ingredient is dibucaine -- the same basic preparation is sold under a bunch of different product names, but the active ingredient is dibucaine in all cases.
Another option is lidocaine gel, which you can find all kinds of different strengths. It's hard to find anything stronger than 2% or so in retail stores but up to 5% is available without a prescription. One is LMX5, which I've never found in retail stores but is widely available online:
http://www.drugs.com/cdi/lmx-5-cream.html
It's the same stuff some colorectal surgeons use as a numbing before a rectal exam. It's real expensive compared to Nupercainal though.
Also, hydrocortisone cream might not be a bad idea in the short term. It's probably not the greatest thing to be using in the long haul but it can at least temporarily reduce swelling.
Unfortunately I don't think any of these will actually cure the root issue though. Feeling like stool is being blocked is a somewhat serious concern IMO, especially if it's a new symptom, so if it keeps up I'd honestly try to get in to see a doc who can actually visualize the area rather than guess and assume what it might be. In all likelihood it's harmless, but I'd personally put a lot more faith in tests than opinions (even if they come from a doctor) based on symptoms.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 23 Nov 2009, 13:20

BTW I should say that I don't mean for my post above to be alarmist (I read it over and it sounded a bit more ominous than I'd intended :)). What I mean is that if it's getting to the point where stool passage is being affected, it (even assuming it's hemorrhoids) may be past the point where conservative treatments are going to be effective. For instance the hemorrhoids may be thrombosed or just really big and need something more aggressive. If it keeps up, I'd play it safe and see someone about it just to make sure it doesn't get any worse. If there's one thing I've unfortunately learned firsthand from my fissure ordeal, it's to nip things in the bud ASAP so small problems don't become big ones.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby suzyljank » 23 Nov 2009, 13:58

Hi again. Are you taking anything to help you go? Miralax and milk of magnesia are really good and very mild. Also please don't panic. That just makes it worse. Sometimes the fear of pain can stop us from having a bm and not true constipation. We tend to tense up when we get the urge to go in anticipation of the pain from a fissure or hemmie. I don't know how long it has been since you last went but I know from experience if you haven't moved your bowels in 3 days especially with a fissure you need to take something to help the process along. If that doesn't work you need to call your doctor. Also lubricate with a little vaseline or ky jelly before you go. It helps it come out easier and with less pain. Good luck Suzy.
suzyljank

Postby William » 23 Nov 2009, 21:21

Thanks for the comments suzy and NG!
Luckily, I've been able to go every day. Just not as much as normal sometimes. So far, the Prep H has helped best reducing the hemmy and lubing the BM. Nupercainal has been great for pain, but hasn't helped with keeping me from having to strain. I hate to keep using the Prep H, though, since it's probably not the best for the AF.
As for Miralax, I'm done with that. I had major problems with leakage, which led to a bad rash. It had other side effects for me, too.
Luckily, I have a doctor appt on Wednesday, so I should be able to figure out what's going on.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby suzyljank » 24 Nov 2009, 15:27

Hi, if you feel you're not emptying when you have a bm you need to speak to your doctor. It could be related to male pelvic floor muscle issues. Sorry you couldn't use the miralax. Have you tried cutting your dose in half? Well good luck at the doctors and have a Happy Thanksgiving. Suzy
suzyljank

Postby Nebelwerfer_ » 26 Nov 2009, 02:24

I am experiencing something simila; My bm's are harder and harder to pass, but I think it might be the constriction of my anus/sphincter, and not a blockage. My first AF is all healed up, but as a result my anus became much tighter and a new one has emerged... I'm thinking of getting the LIS seriously now.
Nebelwerfer_
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 30 Nov 2009, 23:39

Hey Nebelwerfer, William, any updates on you guys' situation? How's the pooping going?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Nebelwerfer_ » 01 Dec 2009, 00:03

Hey NPG,
Even with a full dose of Miralax I was having trouble pooping without blood, till I figured out that I should eat smaller meals, but more frequently. Thus, I have smaller Bm's which do not tear my bum up. It's been about 2 weeks since I've bled after a BM. I BM about thrice a day, and they are nice, soft a small. I ate alot yesterday at a party, and had a small scare today when my bm was bigger than normal... no blood but my AF's kinda itch now. I would hate to have to go back to square 1. Even with the nitro creme, it's as if these AF's have caused my anus to shrink. I have to strain just to pass bm's that have the diameter a nickel. I hope it stretches back out after my AF's heal, or I might end up having to get a LIS
Nebelwerfer_
Salt Bather

Topics: 11