Applying nitro rectally

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Applying nitro rectally

Postby William » 06 Jan 2010, 08:10

I just got prescribed 0.2% nitro and have to say that it is working really well. However, the pharmacist gave me a vaginal applicator to use rectally and there is no way in hell that huge thing is going up my butt Image, so I've just been applying it externally. Although it is helping, I still have pain and moderate difficulty with BMs, so I would like to apply it internally so that it is more effective and the compound can have some lube effect.
There has been mention on the forum about using Q-tips, but I would prefer to get it right in there if possible. The applicator tips that came with my analpram have never given me a problem, but I can't find any syringes or tubes that use them. I've rigged an empty analpram tube to "air-push" nitro that I put into the tip, but putting the medicine in there is a messy job and I can't really measure how much I'm using. A syringe with a nice applicator would be ideal, but I can't seem to find one. Does anyone have any better ideas or know where I can find such a thing? Thanks.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Re: Applying nitro rectally

Postby cherylk » 06 Jan 2010, 08:36

I used/use the tip that came with my anusol ointment--it is about 1" in length and rounded at the top and screws onto the tube nicely. My Mayo CRS told me it is important to get the ointment upwards at least 1 cm. Worked much better than the LONG and sharped-edge applicator that the pharmacist provided with my diliatzem ointment. Good luck!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby William » 06 Jan 2010, 08:41

cherylk wrote:I used/use the tip that came with my anusol ointment--it is about 1" in length and rounded at the top and screws onto the tube nicely.

Unfortunately, my nitro was provided in a huge (50g) syringe. Maybe I could get the pharmacist to move it to a tube with that standard size applicator. Image
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 06 Jan 2010, 10:42

Sounds like a plan to me--I think they could do that!
cherylk
VIP

Postby Fissulyna » 06 Jan 2010, 17:01

Good luck with your quest ; ) !!!! I wonder why they do not make nicer applicators in general for Nitro and other compounding butt creams :roll: - discrimination on every level , I guess Image
I never used it inside though and it worked , but not enough for permanent healing : (((.
I wish you the best of luck with it all Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby William » 09 Jan 2010, 09:33

All the pharmacist would do for me was put it in a different huge syringe with a tapered end. I couldn't figure out a way to safely push the plunger with it inserted, so I'm back to applying externally. Oh, well. It still helps a lot.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 09 Jan 2010, 10:55

I think you need to find a way to get it in internally.
cherylk
VIP

Postby Fissulyna » 09 Jan 2010, 19:24

Different CRS have different approach and all that I visited (and there were 5...or more :roll: LOL) suggested OUTSIDE application for both Nitro and Nefidapine (sp.?)
Since I got headache any time I applied Nitro - it obviously did not need to be applied any other way LOL- it is a proof that it was absorbed anyway and had systemic effect. BTW, Nitro is applied as a patch on the skin for heart patients in the ER - hence, not "in the heart" to work ; ))) and it relaxes heart anyway as it should Image
Even if any of those creams are applied IN the anus - they are certainly not in contact with internal sphincter but anal mucosa.
My personal opinion is that the whole thing with butt creams and blood-pressure meds applied "locally" is one big charade - just the way to bypass some FDA loops since giving a blood-pressure meds orally would require WHOOOOLE new game of tests and commissions and approvals. This way they do not have to go through all of that caboodle.
I am sure that if taken orally both Nitro and Nefid. would have same effect on the butt - same way butt creams have SAME effect on blood pressure in the whole body regardless of the fact that they are applied ON the butt or IN the butt !!!!
OK - enough of my "rant " LOL
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby William » 11 Jan 2010, 09:00

Applying externally seems to help me alot, so I guessing that the effect of the nitro isn't much different either way. However, I think getting it inside may have the advantages of (1) lubrication for BM and (2) it stays where it's put and doesn't get all over the place.
But for now, I'm sticking to applying externally since I've got a nasty external hemorrhoid right now. I got it on the third day of using nitro and it seemed to be getting better the next day, but I agitated it with the rectal applicator and now it won't seem to go away. It's been a week now, which is longer than I've had one of these before.
I'd really like to have the lube effects right now, since I'm getting the sharp initial pain on BM and familiar blood streak. I've primarily had bad hemorrhoid issues the last two months, and since I haven't had the "after BM" fissure pain I was starting to hope that the fissure itself was healed. Guess not.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 11 Jan 2010, 11:40

William,
Don't butt issues just stink? I still think you need to find a way to get it in internally, but that is because of what I was told, and I tend to believe what I am told! :roll:
At least you've found a place to vent your feelings and share with others. Good luck!
cherylk
VIP