Trouble with Valium suppositories - won't stay in/dissolve!

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Trouble with Valium suppositories - won't stay in/dissolve!

Postby crimeofpassion » 27 Jan 2010, 11:46

I was recently prescribed valium pills to use as suppositories, which I've used three times now, always at night. My muscle spasms are continuing even though I had the LIS surgery last May, so my doctor thought these might help. The first time I used one everything seemed to go okay, although inserting the pill (which is relatively small) was a bit painful, as the pill has rather sharp edges. Despite the pill's small size, I had trouble getting it to stay in. Image
The second time I used one I put a little vaseline on the pill to combat those sharp edges, and because I thought it would make inserting it easier. Again, I had trouble getting it to stay in, and it fell out during the night. So that pill was completely wasted...
Last night I tried using one again. I thought it stayed in, but this morning when I went to apply my nitro cream, I realized a small part of the pill was still there. It hadn't dissolved, even though it had been in for about 10 hours! I had to go to the bathroom this morning, so I passed what looked to be about half of the pill. Image
This is really frustrating! I don't get why it didn't dissolve. And I can't believe I'm having so much trouble getting the pill to stay in. Has anyone had similar problems?
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Re: Trouble with Valium suppositories - won't stay in/dissolve!

Postby afugh!! » 05 Feb 2010, 02:46

Have you asked your doctor if you can use it orally?Neuropathicguy took his orally to help with his spasms when his fissure was at it's worst.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby crimeofpassion » 05 Feb 2010, 22:19

No, I haven't. Maybe I will...
I used it again after posting this, and as far as I know it stayed in and fully dissolved. But it's odd - I feel slightly more sore the morning after using one. Image I'll be trying another one this weekend, either Saturday or Sunday night.
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby afugh!! » 06 Feb 2010, 02:24

Ya you should ask your doctor to take it orally,be careful though valium is very addicting.You should ask for a low dosage and it see if it helps so when you don't need the valium anymore you can get off it easier.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby Fissulyna » 07 Feb 2010, 18:53

OMG !!!!! Why would he give you a "pill" form to use rectally- Is he insane ?????? Have he ever heard about rectal suppositories (or at least vaginal ones ) that you can use ??????
I am sorry .... it is just...just ... I do not know - I will be one of those "Unibomber" guys but sending explosive -poop smelling envelopes to idiotic doctors like that !!!! They will just POOOOFFFFFFF poop dust in their face !!!!!! (no real harm LOL)
Of course that sharp edges can irritate your poor bum !!!!!!! Even the filler of the pill and coloring can possibly be irritating. THAT IS WHY WE HAVE SPECIAL FORMULATIONS FOR BUTT USE AND FOR ORAL USE !!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!
OK - let me calm down... (deep breaths ...deep breaths...)
Go to your doctor and ask about taking it orally - short time use and small dose will NEVER make you addicted - that is a crap talk !
I wish he did a better job with LIS - GRRRRRRRRRRR !!!!!
I WISH THEY ALLLLLL GET FISSURES !!!!!! BAD karma for me wishing this - but I just about had enough of incapable "doctors" !!!!!! How on earth they go through med school is beyond me ... now really .............. ??????????????
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby cherylk » 07 Feb 2010, 19:17

I agree with you, Fiss. Why would anyone suggest inserting a pill rectally????? :roll:
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Fissulyna » 07 Feb 2010, 23:20

I do not know, dear Cheryl - some doctors are just clueless and have less knowledge than average person walking down the street , I guess O-O ! I have no other explanation : ((...
It is scary...very scary thought *sigh...
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby crimeofpassion » 09 Feb 2010, 22:26

And here stupid little me just assumed there was no valium suppository - you just had to use the regular pills. Man am I stupid. Image
MOTHER FREAKING @#*&^*$Q*&R! And it was such a pain getting these because they had to get it approved by like a billion people, in case I was an addict or something. We don't have health insurance right now either. Well, maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow, see what they say. Image
Words can not describe how angry I am right now. This has been the worst week EVER, and now this!
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Fissulyna » 10 Feb 2010, 00:13

It is NOT stupid you - IT IS STUPID THEM !!!!!!!!
Please do not blame yourself for anything - when one is in such pain- brain is not working "properly" , if you know what I mean : (((. You hardly have energy to do basic thinking and going through the daze-like days and sleepless nights - it is not your fault at all !!!!! As I can remember, you also are very young - how possibly you could know anything about "forms of medicine administration" ???
This is excerpt from another forum- so you can see that they exist !!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
runningemiles's Profile
Just wanted to let everyone know that the vaginal valium suppositories are a huge help for a lot of ICers w/ PFD. Dr. Brookoff in CO told me about them and the word is getting around. Me and another member on here have discussed our use with these and how much it helps relax those muscles and in turn reduces the pain. Just wanted to pass this info along to anyone that doesn't know about it. Your gyno or doctor can call them in. All they do is call them into a compounding pharmacy and usually the dosage is 10mg. Most compouding pharmacy have them on hand for hospice patients. The good thing about them is you don't typically get the side effects like drowsiness, etc. I try to take them nightly but if I am having a bad flare I can take them throughout the day and lay down for 30 minutes and it really starts to help.
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 22 Feb 2010, 13:36

A bit late here but just FYI diazepam also comes as a rectal gel in case the actual suppositories present any kind of problem:
http://www.rxlist.com/diastat-drug.htm
I would stress to use diazepam very carefully and only as needed though. It's not true that small doses for short periods of time will never cause addiction. Reactions to benzodiazepines are highly individual and there are plenty of folks who have gotten addicted after very small doses over a short span of time. Most doctors will tell you it can't happen but look around the Web can decide for yourself. I can unfortunately speak from personal experience on this, otherwise I'd probably have a hard time believing it as well. It's a Godsend when you need it but don't stay on it for any longer than you need to.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45