cost...

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

cost...

Postby just_brit_yaaay » 05 Jun 2010, 22:37

I know I was really worried about the cost of the surgery before I got and I just recently got the bill so I thought id share what my findings are.
Anesthesia + Dr. Fees - $4026.98
Actual surgery - $877
The End.
just_brit_yaaay
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: cost...

Postby StevePain » 06 Jun 2010, 15:29

All I can say is, thank god we have the NHS here in the UK, there would be no way i'd be willing to pay that much for such a simple and short procedure... jeez Image
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby dee » 07 Jun 2010, 09:43

i'm in the us and not really sure what the total cost of my surgery was, but i paid $100
and i've had 2 this year plus a colonoscopy and a blood transfusion--i've had to get tons of prescriptions that would be extremely costly without insurance...
i'm just glad i'm lucky enough to have insurance--and i found out my benefits are even better than i thought previously...i have a $25 copay to see a psychiatrist instead of having to just pay it myself or do without...
i work in an emergency room and if you walk in the door you have a minimum $200 bill...not having universal healthcare sucks and steve you are lucky to be in the uk in that respect--my husband is canadian and he is very fond of their system (he never had the long waits that critics always talk about--in fact NONE of his relatives have ever complained about that--my father in law had severe back pain and they admitted him to the hospital for a week and he didn't have to pay a thing--here in the US you would get a prescription for 12 or 16 vicodin and told to see a regular doctor for pain management--and you would get to pay $200-$2000 for the privilege of seeing the doctor...
rant over.... Image
dee
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby dee » 07 Jun 2010, 09:47

oh yeah, regarding cost...
i've had more than $20,000 in procedures from my EOBs...i paid $0 for the colonoscopy
and different insurance plans cover different amounts (if at all)...i'm extremely happy i'm lucky enough to have GOOD insurance with excellent benefits and a reasonable cost! it's the working people who can't afford outrageous premiums that get screwed...i work at an emergency room and we have people who come in on medicaid and they're appalled they have a $3 copay--they don't pay premiums and complain about a $3 copay?!?!?!?!?! my copay would be $100 and i pay about $150 a month for that privilege...arrrgghhh...
ok...off my other rant...
dee
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby Fissulyna » 07 Jun 2010, 14:46

Just Britt - thanks so much for the info !!!!!
It will be helpful to many, I am sure !!!! Image
Dee- yes, USA health insurance sucks BIG TIME and poor people here do not even know that IT CAN be national and work just fine !!!!!!!!! Image Image Image It is just horrible that media is controlling the way how people perceive health coverage and quality in other countries. I have friends in Australia who have top-notch national coverage and fantastic doctors, for example, not to mention Germany and such Image
Oh well.... Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61