Surgery Tomorrow 7-7-10.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Surgery Tomorrow 7-7-10.

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 12 Jul 2010, 20:42

I wouldn't panic based on that. My anal area was frequently moist and irritated after surgery, and still gets that way sometimes (particularly if I pass a lot of gas or have several bowel movements in a day), even more than 2 months after the fact.
As for the light pink drainage, it's most likely normal too. You could get drainage for a while. The extended drainage is one of those little details that doctors aren't so good at telling patients about. If it's light pinkish, I'd give it another week or two and see if it decreases or subsides altogether. What you want to watch out for is anything thick and yellow that looks like pus or any lumps that form around the anus since they could be signs of infection.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Runnerman » 14 Jul 2010, 09:55

I had a bowl movement last night that wasnt hard but caused bleeding! about 2 tablespoons, I also got up in the night and had to wipe with about a teaspoon of blood on the toilet paper. It didnt soak the paper but it streek it. Should I call my CRS or is this normal? I never had bleeding with my orginal fissure. My Surgery was 6 days ago as of last night. Is this normal did anyone else have blood this far after surgery?
Runnerman
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 14 Jul 2010, 11:19

I'd call your CRS to double check. I was told to expect bleeding after surgery but actually never did except during my very first BM afterward. For me, it was the opposite, I had decent bleeding with my fissure but almost none after surgery. My CRS told me to call if I had bleeding of anything more than a couple of teaspoons, and to go to the ER right away for bleeding of more than half a cup.
If the bleeding ceased, then I doubt you have anything to worry about, but still, it can't hurt to double check.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Runnerman » 15 Jul 2010, 10:49

I dont bleed with bowl movements but about every other hour it feels moist there and I wipe with a few streeks of blood. DID ANYONE else have this? I called and talked to the nurse and she said that if it isnt coming out to my underware or if it isnt bright red i shouldnt worry. Its a rusty brownish red. Over night last night (7hrs) This A.M. there was a good streek of this kinda blood on the T.P. nothing that came out in my underware but it did cover the T.P. Its been one week since my LIS. The pain isnt bad and i was thinking about going to work tomorrow but then this stupid blood is making me rethink.
Runnerman
Fibre Addict

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 15 Jul 2010, 18:41

I'd honestly try to get in to see the CRS and ask them to take a look. It shouldn't take more than a couple minutes. They can see where the bleeding's coming from.
It sounds weird that the nurse said to only be concerned if it's bright red blood. Usually (not always but as a rule of thumb) bright red blood is a lesser concern than blood of other colors, since blood of other colors could be coming from higher up in the GI tract. Since you just had surgery, it's most likely coming from the incision rather than further up the GI, but I wouldn't just make assumptions.
I had constant moistness and drainage following surgery, but it wasn't blood in my case.
To be honest it doesn't sound like it's bleeding enough to be a big concern, but I know that after surgery, I was worried about every little thing and wanted every reassurance possible, and my CRS office was happy to oblige.
Anyway sorry I can't really help more, maybe others will chime in. I don't think any of us can substitute for having the doc get his or her eyes directly on the situation though :(
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Runnerman » 17 Jul 2010, 09:57

Thanks for the Info.... It stoped bleeding and went back to a pinkish and now pinkish/yellowish discharge. It hasnt been as leaky as before (oh how gross this all is). It is starting to itch really bad and I'm hopeing I dont itch it in my sleep! I'm going to keep my finger nails really short. I have been taking the following supplements to help the healing process. Vitamin K to stop the bleeding and start the fist steps of healing. Glucosamine which helps grow healthy tissue. Vitamin b complex. Bromelain it is an excellent anticoagulant which helps close. I use tea tree oil in the bath tub and epsoms salt, I have noticed if I only take a bath after bowl movements it keeps me to stay dry there and helps healing. These things are nasty and really hard to get rid of. My goodness a pain in the butt is an understatement.
Runnerman
Fibre Addict

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 20 Jul 2010, 11:08

Hey Runnerman, it's been a few days now, how are things going? Any better? Hope it's improving.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Runnerman » 20 Jul 2010, 19:33

I was doing good until today. Almost at the 2 week mark. Today at work I started getting a tearing feeling every time I would bend over to get something. Tonight I get little zaps of pain on the fissure that feel like a stinging pain. They kinda come and go. It was Itching yesterday but today if feels like sharp little stining zaps. GRRRRR! I have a check up next week. I hope it goes back to itching soon. No spasms. No fluid or bleeding. I kept reading other peoples posts about how long the pain after LIS should be. I guess if this is still going on next week the Doc will let me know how its healing. Thanks for asking.
Runnerman
Fibre Addict

Postby cherylk » 20 Jul 2010, 19:59

My goodness a pain in the butt is an understatement.
That is so very true, unfortunately!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 21 Jul 2010, 00:13

Hey Runnerman, short on time now so I can't post as much as I'd like, but just wanted to say that I also had all kinds of weird pains in the weeks after surgery. Some of it was a wet raw feeling all around the anus, some of it was mysterious sharp stinging pains around the incision site and inside the anus, some of it was dull aching, and there's probably more that I don't remember right now. Basically my ass felt different by the hour and by the day and there was little rhyme or reason to it. None of the surgeons I talked to ever told me to expect anything like that. Sitting was pretty uncomfortable for me for a looong time.
My thread right below this one is where I whined and whined about everything I was going through, from the weird sensations and pains to the abscess surgery and everything else, so there's a nice chronicle of my own post-op concerns in case you're ever interested.
Personally I think these things do usually simmer down with time, it's just not quite as smooth of a ride as our doctors would like us to believe.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure