Surgery Tomorrow 7-7-10.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Surgery Tomorrow 7-7-10.

Postby Runnerman » 06 Jul 2010, 18:58

I'm So worried. I have never been put under!
I'm not at all worried about the recovery or the pain. I'm worried about everything else thou. And ofcourse worried I will never be able to run and work out the same :(.
They said I would be getting the MAC sedation??!! I wish I could do it under Local but the doctor said no.
Runnerman
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Surgery Tomorrow 7-7-10.

Postby cherylk » 06 Jul 2010, 19:37

I've been put under 7 times. It is really nothing to fear!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Fissulyna » 07 Jul 2010, 00:00

Yeap - do not worry about it at all !!!! The best trained professionals are anesthesiologists- no wonder they are payed 300,000 K a year at an entry level LOL ; )))
You will not even know "when" you actually go "under", one moment you will be talking with a nurse and another -zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Than you open you eyes and think - WTH - ALLL DONE already !!!!??????
Local is really not preferred for such delicate surgery !!! You might "twitch" reflexively and move and you DEFINITELY do not want that ; ))) !!!
I had a "twilight" which is not "general anesthesia" but a lighter version combined with local . BUT - you should do with whatever your CRS is comfortable with !!!!!! I was advised by my friend who is a GP that one should NEVER argue with a surgeon LMAO or make him change a routine LOL, since it can cause him to "miss something" or make a wrong step in changed routine . Image
Best of luck and let us know how it all went : ))) !!!! Image Image I had 2 LIS surgeries and would definitely be able to run if I wanted to Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 07 Jul 2010, 11:07

Hey there, I dunno if you're already done with your surgery but wanted to wish you good luck. As Cheryl and Fissy have said, the anesthesia is nothing to be worried about. This will sound wrong, I'm sure, but it's actually the most fun part of the procedure for me :) MAC sedation is basically somewhere between conscious sedation and full-on general anesthesia. Basically the anesthesiologist monitors you the whole time and can decrease or increase your sedation level as needed.
This kind of surgery definitely probably isn't the best bet for local or spinal anesthesia. You're likely going to be in some funny positions during the operation and even if you can't feel the part being operated on, the rest of your body might not be so comfortable. I had a proctoscopy and later a colonoscopy done under conscious sedation, then two anal surgeries done under MAC anesthesia, and would personally go with MAC every time! In fact I had my GI doc put in my file that if I ever needed another colonoscopy, it must be done MAC with propofol.
Anyhow, hopefully things went smoothly today!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Runnerman » 08 Jul 2010, 10:27

I did it with local, I dont not think anyone should ever do that. I bit a hole right thru the pillow of the hospital bed. The CRS said it was a standard fissure big but not in the top 10 he has seen. Yesterday i felt like someone beat the crap out of me down there and left the base ball bat up my rear. Today I feel very very raw. the pain pills wouldnt let me sleep. I only got 1 hour if that. I will take a pain reliver with a p.m. aid tonight. How long before I can go to the store. I cant today i know that for sure. I'm in 2 much pain to sit.
Runnerman
Fibre Addict

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 08 Jul 2010, 11:01

Wow you are THE MAN if you did with just local! By local do you mean spinal anesthesia (like an epidural where you can't feel very much) or just with local numbing agents? Either way you're one brave dude!!!
Sorry if I missed it, but what did you have done? Was it LIS + fissurectomy?
It was days before I could sit normally, much less drive and go to the store. Don't rush it, it needs time to heal.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Runnerman » 08 Jul 2010, 11:45

it was with just local. No fissurectomy. He didnt even do stiches because he said they get infected.
Runnerman
Fibre Addict

Postby cherylk » 08 Jul 2010, 14:09

Runnerman,
You are BRAVE if you did a local. I was awake with a local for cosmetic eye surgery, which was very unnerving. Hope you heal quickly!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby fire-cracker » 08 Jul 2010, 17:28

Wishing you a speedy recovery!!!!
fire-cracker
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby Runnerman » 12 Jul 2010, 10:16

I have noticed a light pink drainage. In the morning when I wake It feels moist there, When I wipe there is a light pink water on the tissue. Should I panic?
Runnerman
Fibre Addict