Already taking Citrucel and Miralax - what else can I take?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Already taking Citrucel and Miralax - what else can I take?

Postby crimeofpassion » 12 Jul 2010, 17:23

I take two Citrucel tablets every night and also a dose of Miralax, in addition to using nitro ointment. Although my doctor says I have no fissure anymore, I still have a very achey pain - sometimes quite bad - where my fissure was, and where the LIS incision was made. I also get painless muscle spasms/twitches. I just can't seem to keep my stool soft enough, which only adds to the problem. What can I take in addition to what I already am to help keep my stool soft? I'm studying abroad in September, so I'm keen on knowing whether or not there's something more I can be doing to help my pathetic butt. Image
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Re: Already taking Citrucel and Miralax - what else can I take?

Postby cherylk » 12 Jul 2010, 18:00

You could take another half dose of Miralax and/or take Benefiber.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 12 Jul 2010, 20:54

I'm 2+ months out from LIS and still sometimes get pain from both the fissure and LIS site too. I'm hoping it'll go away with time but who knows anymore.
I assume your dose of Miralax is 17 g daily (basically one cap or measuring cup full). It should be safe to exceed that and see if doing so makes any difference.
Also, be sure to drink a TON of water with the Miralax. I drink water every night until I'm peeing clear urine every 10 minutes or so. If I drink less than that I can tell because the stool is harder the next morning.
How do you tell you have painless muscle spasms BTW? Just curious. Are they of the sphincter muscle or some other rectal muscle?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby crimeofpassion » 14 Jul 2010, 15:36

How does Benefiber differ from Citrucel? Is it better?
NeuropathicGuy, its been a little over a year since my surgery. I hope you have better luck.
Y'know when you get muscle twinges in your eye sometimes, or in your leg? That's what my spasms are like. Painless twinges of the muscle that you can feel, but don't hurt. The surgeon I'm seeing now who DIDN'T do my LIS says my muscle tone isn't much improved. Image
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 14 Jul 2010, 15:46

Each person responds to fiber supplements differently. Citrucell did nothing for me. I think Citrucell and Benefiber differ in their basic ingredient.
cherylk
VIP

Postby crimeofpassion » 16 Jul 2010, 12:26

I heard Citrucel was the best, but maybe I'll give Benefiber a try. Is it supposed to bulk your stool, like Citrucel?
So bummed. I think I saw a spot of blood on my stool this morning (from the fissure that apparently doesn't exist). Image This is a bit OT, but has anyone had a spot of "blood" that was actually something you ate? For example, strawberries?
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 16 Jul 2010, 12:39

I don't know that any fiber supplement is "the best." My GI doc told me all people react differently to various supplements. Tomatoes (for me) can easily be mistaken for blood.
cherylk
VIP

Postby crimeofpassion » 17 Jul 2010, 21:35

Well, this has happened a few times before where I was sure I spotted blood, and I ran in to my CRS only to be told she doesn't see a retear. Though I've been told by people here that I might have a small tear that just isn't visible to her. Image
I think I'll give the Benefiber a try, to see if it works any better (or worse) for me compared to the Miralax.
If any other supplements/vitamins/etc have worked for other people, let me know. I'm willing to try more stuff, because I'm still quite sore on a daily basis, and sometimes my stool just doesn't want to stay soft. Heck, if there's FOOD you recommend, let me know.
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 18 Jul 2010, 06:54

Many of us (myself included) take Benefiber and Miralax to keep things soft. Just to clarify. Fiss had a tear that was only visible during an LIS (I think).
cherylk
VIP

Postby StevePain » 18 Jul 2010, 12:48

I swear by Movicol, whatever I eat my stools are always soft and easy to pass, it's taken me a few years and many a stool softener to realise it!
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45