11 days post LIS and still don't feel better....

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

11 days post LIS and still don't feel better....

Postby desperatehousewife » 27 Aug 2010, 17:03

Looking for advice:
Well had the surgery. Was painful for the first few days but that was to be expected. My surgeon also told me I only needed to take 1 day off work, LOL. (Good thing I'm on summer holidays). The pain after a BM is by far less however it still hurts somewhat when I poop and that pressure sensation that drove me nuts before the operation is returning, aghhhhh.
1. My BMs are still somewhat painful, but not like they were before. Is that normal this late? I'm still doing the metamucil and water intake.
2. I soaked 3X a day for the first week and now during the second week only twice. Should I up the soakings? It is hard as I have a one year old who needs my constant love and affection!
3. The pain from surgery is being replaced by the pressure sensation that is soooooo annoying! I can't even sleep on my back becuase it feels like I have a golf ball up there. Did anyone else experience this after surgery (and before). I should add that the pressure sensation had almost vanished immediately after surgery, and returned yesterday.
4. How long did everyone else soak for and continue their delicious regiment of fiber supplementation?
5. Do you think the LIS failed? When will I know for sure that it might not have worked (how long should I give it?
Advice and encouragement much appreciated!
desperatehousewife
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: 11 days post LIS and still don't feel better....

Postby small_flower » 27 Aug 2010, 18:01

Well, everyones experiences are different from everyone elses. For me, I had my surgery during the spring break of college my senior year, and I only had a week to really recover at home. After that I had to go back to student teaching in first grade, so there wasn't a lot of sitting down.
All that aside, I would say it took me a good month to feel "normal" again. I was trying to soak as much as possible, for me that was once in the morning, and once at night.
I dont think the LIS failed, as you have had some relief, but I have no experience with the pressure that you are describing. Perhaps something is abscessing or you have a fistula forming. Did you call your doctor and describe this feeling?... because if it were me, I would.
As for soaking, I would continue to soak as much as you can. I know its tough with little kids. Perhaps you can provide something for your child to do in the bathroom while you soak? Soak in a bathing suit and let your child splash and play in the water while you soak (not relaxing I know) or you could just put some toys in the bathroom so your child can busy him or herself for a little while. Or you can try to time your soaking while your child takes a nap?
I am still on my delicious fiber regiment. You need to be on a high fiber diet for the rest of your life. You can't have the surgery and follow the diet and then stop, because you will be back where you started. So stick with it. There are some posts on here that talk about tasty high fiber foods.
Also, as far as soaking goes, I soaked for a good month, slowly cutting down the amount of times per day as much schedule got busier and busier.
Do you have a follow up with your doctor scheduled?
I hope you feel better <3
Kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Postby Philber » 27 Aug 2010, 20:42

I think 11 days is still very much in the recovery phase. I was told to take two weeks off work, which was about right, and that I would be feeling much better in about four weeks, with complete healing in six weeks. Now I am five weeks out and I would say that what I was told was correct.
I'm guessing the pressure is from the swelling, which should go down over time. I wouldn't worry too much unless things get worse. As long as things are slowly getting better, I think that's pretty normal.
Philber
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby StevePain » 28 Aug 2010, 01:50

I agree with phil, I'm only 3 weeks out of surgery and still have pain, BM's are very messy in the first week or so after surgery and cleaning that area is very hard since you have to be delicate yet meticulous, so 11 days is still early in terms of recovery, that pressure in your butt is most likely internal swelling around the incision site, I still do the sitz baths but not as much as the first 2 weeks, and of course, never give up the high fibre diet as kate says it's a life thing, sounds bad I know but just think how healthy your other organs will be, besides that, a sometimes boring diet far outweighs the feeling of a sore butt, this is what wins it for me, I would rather have the diet than the pain.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 28 Aug 2010, 02:05

Hey there, 11 days is definitely way too early to conclude anything :) Healing timelines vary widely, but I don't think very many people feel completely normal after only 11 days. So don't worry, you're still early on and you will have all kinds of weird butt sensations for a little bit yet. It's worth checking with your doc about the pressure sensation if it persists, but overall at 11 days out the area will be a bit of a twilight zone, so don't worry so much (although I know it's hard not to because I was very worried myself at the same point after LIS).
For me the answers to your questions would be:
1. Yep, sounds normal.
2. I soaked about 3-4 times a day, and also after every poop. I think we all differ a bit here but I'd say maybe around 4 times a day is optimal. I have two 1-year olds myself (one with cerebral palsy who needs extra care) and know it's hard, but please find time to take care of yourself after surgery :)
3. I would check with the doctor if it keeps up. My doc was good about getting me in whenever I was worried. It's likely nothing to be that worried about IMO (it felt like there was a frat party in my butt with all kinds of weird sensations for a long time after surgery), but better safe than sorry (and it's nice to get peace of mind of course).
4. I soaked for about 3 months (but I had two surgeries and VERY slow healing) and still keep my fiber regimen todady. I've gotten a bit sloppier with it (I now eat bunches of potato chips plus some "real food" in addition to my veggie soup + soy beans diet) but do still keep an eye on my fiber intake. I also continue to take Miralax every day.
5. Definitely too early right now. Typically most people see substantial improvement in about a month, but some people are faster and some like myself are way slower. If you got some relief then LIS worked, it's just a matter of how well. Time will tell there, but most people do pretty well with it in the long term.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby desperatehousewife » 28 Aug 2010, 15:57

Thanks for the encouragement. I posted another post about the pressure feeling. Hoping I am not alone.
desperatehousewife
Salt Bather

Postby desperatehousewife » 30 Aug 2010, 12:25

If anyone out there experienced an abcess/fistula, what were your symptoms? I don't have any blood/puss or fever, just intense pressure and tightness higher up in the rectum. Driving me mad!!!!!! My CRS is out of town, so I just have to wait a week or so for advice from him.
desperatehousewife
Salt Bather

Postby StevePain » 30 Aug 2010, 13:40

hey there, I would wait for NG to log on, he's had an abscess and knows what it feels like, you could even PM him with your question.
I found this while searching:
Anal abscess symptoms
The symptoms of an anal abscess are rather distinctive once closely paid attention to.
The first anal abscess symptom / sign is usually escalating pain in the anal area or buttocks and a lump or swelling in the anal area.
Painful bowel movements, lower abdominal pain, and fatigue are anal abscess symptoms that also then usually follow shortly.
The symptoms of anal abscess that suggest the infection is starting to go systemic include fever, fatigue, and night sweats, along with severe pain from any rolling or change of position.
Another symptom that you are suffering from an anal abscess rather than a hemorrhoid are that anal abscesses usually worsen quickly, within one or two days, while hemorrhoids take longer to develop.
The symptoms of an anal fistula can include:
a throbbing, constant pain that may be worse when you sit down, move around, pass stools or cough
pus or blood when passing stools
irritation of the skin around the anus
itchiness around the anus
a high temperature (fever) of 38°C (100.4°F) or over
StevePain
King Fissure