nifedipine question

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

nifedipine question

Postby stuckOnHold » 23 Sep 2010, 05:15

Hi,
It seems to me that nifedipine is not the immediate choice of treatment, compared to Nitro and diltiazem, I have only heard of it fairly recently.
Is there any point using it if I have already tried diltiazem? I ask because they're both channel blockers.
Also, anyone know if it's available in UK? No doctor I've seen so far has mentioned it...
I used diltiazem for 6 weeks before with no results. Switched to nitro for a good 3-4 months after that. My CRS then told me I should have used diltiazem for at least 12 weeks to see if it works so I tried it again, but now it caused me incredible swelling and lot of pain so I stopped after a few days. Now I'm using Nitro again, even though it doesn't seem to be healing me, I'm carrying on with it just in case it is stopping me from getting worse, if that makes sense...
Last edited by stuckOnHold on 23 Sep 2010, 05:30, edited 1 time in total.
stuckOnHold
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: nifedipine question

Postby Guest » 23 Sep 2010, 05:20

Hey, I'm scheduled for surgery soon but I have been using the diltiazem and the longer I have used it the better it gets. I haven't even noticed a spasm this week(week8).
It makes sense to me that you would keep using any ointment to prevent getting worse.

Postby stuckOnHold » 23 Sep 2010, 05:27

What kind of surgery?
You're not tempted to stick out the diltiazem treatment if it's appearing to work?
stuckOnHold
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 23 Sep 2010, 07:11

I'm having Lis and skin tag removal on October 4th.
Im ready to just get it over with. I've had my fissure 7 months and even though this has been the best week since it started(no spasms), I know how quick it can change for me... I do think it's strange that 9 days before surgery that I can't feel any spasms and for the first time I've had a maddening itch this week. That's never happened.
How long have you had your fissure?

Postby Deleted User 428 » 23 Sep 2010, 09:25

Dawn - I've been getting a pretty serious itching lately too. I've noticed though that I have what feels like a little pimple or something up away from the area that is causing most of the itch. It's the second one I've had in the last couple weeks. I'm just thinking that the diltiazem ointment is starting to cause some irritation down there. My diltiazem prescription is compounded with what I think is vaseline so that will definitely cause some irritation when applied long term...I think.
StuckonHold - I've had my fissure since April. My CRS told me that the patients who heal on Diltiazem will start to see some improvement after 2-3 weeks and then there is a steady improvement after that with maybe minor setbacks here and there. If that doesn't occur, in his experience, the patient usually won't heal fully under that treatment. Plus, there is a high chance of recurring fissures with it. I was on Dlitiazem for 5 weeks with little success. I had some relief but would always go back to square one at some point. I'm getting LIS tomorrow.
Deleted User 428

Postby StevePain » 23 Sep 2010, 10:05

I tried to get Nifedipine from my GP the other day but he had not heard of it and it wasn't in his little book of medicine, my guess is that it isn't available here in the UK.
Regarding Diltiazem and itching.. I was originally prescribed Diltiazem in march this year but it caused horrendous itching which resulted in my anus being very very sore and bleeding, I have since tried using a lesser amount but the itch still returns and is almost impossible to ignore, now I'm back on Nitro which causes headaches but it's the lesser of the two evils.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 23 Sep 2010, 14:23

smallChange wrote:Dawn - I've been getting a pretty serious itching lately too. I've noticed though that I have what feels like a little pimple or something up away from the area that is causing most of the itch. It's the second one I've had in the last couple weeks. I'm just thinking that the diltiazem ointment is starting to cause some irritation down there. My diltiazem prescription is compounded with what I think is vaseline so that will definitely cause some irritation when applied long term...I think.
StuckonHold - I've had my fissure since April. My CRS told me that the patients who heal on Diltiazem will start to see some improvement after 2-3 weeks and then there is a steady improvement after that with maybe minor setbacks here and there. If that doesn't occur, in his experience, the patient usually won't heal fully under that treatment. Plus, there is a high chance of recurring fissures with it. I was on Dlitiazem for 5 weeks with little success. I had some relief but would always go back to square one at some point. I'm getting LIS tomorrow.

I noticed the bump things too with the diltiazem. It's not bad enough that you have a fissure,lol The diltiazem causes an itch and bumps too..Geezz

Postby stuckOnHold » 24 Sep 2010, 02:58

I can also add to the experiences of soreness and itching with diltiazem. I recently used it for a week and within that time my back end got so swollen and sore it made my day very uncomfortable.
I swear also that it made passing stools harder and may have contributed towards another tear.
Smallchange, good luck with your LIS today. Hope it goes well, be sure to come back and let us know how it went!
stuckOnHold
Salt Bather

Postby stuckOnHold » 24 Sep 2010, 03:14

steve - I'm going to try and ask my local GP for Nifedipine, but the thing is he's utterly useless (just moved to this new area in NW london and medical services are overloaded and poor quality). What's the exact name of the medicine I should ask for? Nifedipine 0.2 ointment?
thanks
stuckOnHold
Salt Bather

Postby StevePain » 24 Sep 2010, 09:30

I can't get Nifedipine, infact as stated earlier, my GP has never heard of it LOL, maybe it's only available in the states, I have opted for Nitro 0.4% and still use the Diltiazem in a very minimal amount, it still causes itching but not as severe as when using the full dose, also to reduce the chance of itching try to insert it fully into the rectum as for me the itching is severe when I apply around the anal verge only, (something I've just worked out recently) I think the skin outside the anus is easily irritated.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45