surgery Tuesday!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

surgery Tuesday!!

Postby Guest » 01 Oct 2010, 05:17

It's 4 days until my surgery and I'm scared to death. I'm trying to stay positive and I know this is the best shot I have to get rid of this fissure but I'm still so freakin nervous.
I wish I knew what to expect especially with the skin tag removal w/ the lis.
I wish we all recovered the same and it wasn't a mystery and it was just straight forward for everyone. It feels like such a gamble...

Re: surgery Tuesday!!

Postby StevePain » 01 Oct 2010, 06:46

dawn... It's natural to be scared, I know how you feel, I was really nervous, but just think about the bigger picture, you are in pain every day, you've tried the ointments and the diet but still you are fighting a losing battle, most of us have been in the same boat, it's frustrating and makes your life a misery, you now have the opportunity to put this thing to bed for good, think positive about the outcome, sure, you're going to have post-op pain, everyone does to some extent, focus beyond that period and have faith that the surgery was a success and it will be, you'll be fine, LIS itself is quite straight forward as is the tag removal, don't worry too much about it, it'll be over before you know it, then you can come back here and share the experience with all of us and help new sufferers as you'll be a LIS veteran Image
Sending healing vibes across the BIG pond, keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Steve. Image
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 01 Oct 2010, 07:03

Thank you Steve. I've never been so scared in my whole life. I'm trying so hard to stay positive.
I think the mental part of this is the hardest part.
I really appreciate your encouragement and prayers.
I just want to get better and be here for my kids and husband. I forget what it's like to have a normal life. I'll never take it for granted if I get it back.

Postby cherylk » 01 Oct 2010, 09:22

Dawn,
I'll pray for you during my golfing on Tuesday morning. What time are you scheduled for surgery? I think you are one hour ahead of us here. I can really understand your apprehension. I'd probably be just the same (or worse) worrying about it. Good luck!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 01 Oct 2010, 09:27

Cheryl,
My surgery is scheduled for 12:15. Your prayers mean more than you will ever know.
Thank you.

Postby cherylk » 01 Oct 2010, 12:23

Dawn,
I'll ask Dwight to pray also (my friend who is a hospice chaplain and also a minister). I think that w be 11:15 our time (central Illinois).
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Deleted User 428 » 01 Oct 2010, 13:02

Keep your spirits up Dawn. I was a nervous wreck too but I didn't have as much time as you to think about it since I went in 2 days after seeing the doc. Still, I was pretty scared up to the point the anesthesiologist put something in my arm that made me not care if they were taking my leg off. :)
You are going to do wonderfully. I know you will be happy with your decision. I'm one week post-op today and I couldn't be happier with my choice. It was a little over a week ago today that I was in sheer agony with my AF flaring up going in to see my CRS. Nothing in my recovery has compared yet to that misery. I have a little sting from the incision area when I have a BM and there is still some itch there too but other than that I'm doing great. The biggest reminder of my surgery is the huge bruise on my arm from the IV. Not sure what they did there. I know we all have a different recovery experience but there isn't one of us that would trade the recovery with what we were going through prior to LIS.
I'll definitely have you in my thoughts Tuesday morning. You are going to do great. I know.
Deleted User 428

Postby Guest » 01 Oct 2010, 14:17

Thank you Cheryl and please tell Dwight thank you also. You are such a sweet and caring person.
SC, you have been so encouraging and supportive and I am so grateful for your kindness. It's so nice to talk to people who understand your fears and have been there.
God Bless you all.

Postby PaulsPain » 01 Oct 2010, 19:09

Hey Dawn-
I was also a nervous wreck. For me, it was the first time in my life, I was going to have surgery and actually be cut on. Having my wisdom teeth out was the closest I have come to any kind of surgery. A couple years prior I had an exam under anesthesia thinking I might have an abscess but they only found the fissure. So I woke up with the fissure as-is.
Just keep a positive attitude and keep telling yourself that this will be the cure for the fissure. I have never regretted my decision moving forward with a LIS. Wish I would have done it much sooner. My recovery I would say was on the rough side, comparing to other recovery stories, but I had a lot done at once . But even then I still don't regret it.
Also, remember that it is considered a routine surgery with a great success rate. So you will do great. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers next Tuesday.
-Paul
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 02 Oct 2010, 02:55

Dawn: yo yo YO! Don't worry about being a nervous wreck, I think all of us were way freaked out about it Image Since you've been reading old threads, I'm sure you've seen my personal whining both pre- and post-surgery. No way you can top that! Image
We're all thinking of you as the days count down to you taking control of your rear once again. Hope to hear all about it and see you join the "healing fever" going around here lately :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45