Stools way too big!

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Stools way too big!

Postby stuckOnHold » 05 Oct 2010, 14:53

Alright fellas, I'm going crazy here...
The last week I've been on the verge of a major re-tear as every time I go for a BM the stools are so big and wide I can feel it all stretching and it doesn't feel good. Had a few twinges but no tears for 2 weeks.
I'm trying to take drastic action but nothing's working!
I've doubled my Movicol (Miralax) dose from 2 sachets to 4, and I'm taking lactulose as well.
On top of this I'm on a super high fibre diet, with 2 portions of veg, 2 portions of fruit and serving of coarse fibre with every meal. Also gallons of water, I pee every half hour.
This has hardly helped! I am definitely alot more regular and I've been going twice a day, but the poo is still way too bulky. I really need it to be soft and/or sort of runny/slimy.
What the hell am I doing wrong? Sounds crazy but I've been wondering if I'm getting too much fibre? I mean fibre makes the stools bulky, right? Typicially this stimulates the bowels and is good for constipation, but in my case they're just too damn big.
Any tips would be really welcome
Thanks for reading
stuckOnHold
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: Stools way too big!

Postby Guest » 05 Oct 2010, 16:54

Hey,
Too much fiber can cause bulky stools. If you eat enough fiber , you want need a supplement, just a stool softener.
I usually eat around 20 grams a day and take stool softeners.

Postby Philber » 05 Oct 2010, 18:00

Too much fiber will make your stools bulky. I eat about 50 grams of fibre a day, plus Metamucil 2x per day.
Your diet sounds like a pretty good fissure diet to me.
Philber
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby cherylk » 05 Oct 2010, 18:10

How in the world are you able to eat 50 grams of fibre daily? I find it hard to get 30 grams of fibre into my diet!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Philber » 05 Oct 2010, 18:20

Hehe, I know ... I'm a fiber junkie.
Breakfast is 2 cups of high fiber cereal with 1/3 cup of bran buds, 2 tbsp ground flaxseed and a handful each of rasberries and blueberries. 25-30 grams of fiber right there.
Lunch is veggie or bean soup, or salad. Another 10-15 grams of fiber.
Dinner is something with fiber (whole wheat pasta, veggies, whole wheat bread). Maybe 5-10 grams of fiber.
Snacks are fruit, nuts, fiber1 bars and metamucil bars. Probably another 5-10 grams of fiber.
I'm probably closer to 60 grams of fiber most days, plus the metamucil.
Philber
Salt Bather

Postby cherylk » 05 Oct 2010, 20:14

I'm presuming that you have several BM's daily with that amount of fiber??
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby stuckOnHold » 05 Oct 2010, 23:59

With that much fibre do you find your stools are too bulky? Or are they soft? I easily eat that much fire a day but I'm wonderig if I should cut down if it's making them too big, and maybe substitute more fruit. It doesn't make any sense to me why I'm still constipated.
What does metamucil do for you?
stuckOnHold
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Philber » 06 Oct 2010, 08:52

Yes, I have several BMs each day, but they are soft and well formed, which is the key. When I had my AF, BMs were very painful, so several BMs was worse than one BM, but constipation was the worst.
I did not have a problem with my BMs being too bulky, because as long as they were soft, they seemed to pass easily enough.
Now that I no longer suffer from AF, I do not worry about the size of my stools, but I am still diligent to ensure that they are soft and well formed.
Metamucil is just more soluble fiber. Psyllium fiber, to be precise. But it is just another source of fiber. It would be difficult for me to get enough fiber without Metamucil - I don't think I could eat that much fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
Stool softeners are also important, because stool size is less important if the stools are soft. Hard stools are very bad for AF, because they force the AF open, causing pain and preventing healing.
Philber
Salt Bather

Postby afugh!! » 18 Oct 2010, 16:28

50 grams of fiber maybe a bit too much and it's maybe why your stool is so bulky.Cut down to 30 and try drinking a couple glass of prune juice a day.Prune juice thins and lubricates the stool.Thats what it does from my experience and it also helps me get the urge to bm an hour after drinking it.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby Fissulyna » 02 Nov 2010, 14:08

There are 2 kinds of fiber - soluble and insoluble.
Insoluble fiber tends to make poop more bulky and soluble more soft.
Metamucil made my poop more bulky than Benfiber, for example. Unfortunately, Benefiber upset my stomach, for some reason : (((, and I was not able to use it.
If one tolerates Metamucil well - it is great natural choice !!! Philber has many health benefits using Metamucil, not only digestive ones : ))
For some people bulk is not tolerable , unfortunately, and those should than try soluble fiber, such as Benefiber ,as a softener.
It is often hard to make a balance and it unfortunately requires "trail and error" phase : (((
Best of luck !!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61