Back from fistulectomy

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Back from fistulectomy

Postby afugh!! » 02 Nov 2010, 16:59

Day one post-op-So far just a really mild pain that a tylenol can't handle.I can still feel the local anesthesia so I think thats why I'm not in a lot of pain.My first bm went well and was painless.Cleaning was tricky but I found that a comination of 2 baby wipes dipped in water to get majority of the stool,triple size cotton balls dipped in water to wipe the rest,sitz bath,shower and aggressive use of the shower wand on medium setting to wash off my bum.My biggest problem so far is the drainage.Overnight the gauze pad couldn't absorb it all so good thing I wore some man size diapers to catch it or it would've got on my sheets.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby afugh!! » 02 Nov 2010, 17:13

Hey Paul how is your fistula going and how did things go over with your G.I.?
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby PaulsPain » 02 Nov 2010, 17:19

Jeff,
Ya, the drainage sucks. I have been dealing with drainage for about 4 years now.
Not sure how long you will have to deal with it but what has helped me a lot was using 1/2 of a jumbo cotton ball tugged in the rear. I kind of pull cotton flat to make sure it is comfortable. My CRS told me about this, stating that it can help people sometimes heal and helps with the drainage not irritating the skin. I started doing this about 2 months out from my surgery for the first fistula. I change it frequently during the day. I also wear a thin panty liner to catch any drainage.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby PaulsPain » 02 Nov 2010, 17:23

Hey Jeff-
Thanks for asking. Still have the (seton) drain in my rear.
All my blood work came back normal from my GI visit. He also wants to do a colonoscopy. So I have that scheduled at the end of Nov. Not looking forward for the prep. So I am kind of in limbo right now.
I see my CRS next week so I guess I'll see what he says about the drain. I am guessing he may wait until the GI has an opinion on what is going on. So the saga continues......
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby afugh!! » 02 Nov 2010, 17:48

Paul you gotta show me a photo of that cotton your using if you can google it pls.I don't know if its the same size I'm using to wipe my bm.When I remove the gauze pad after 4 hours it is soaked and I need to try something else to better absorb it.I noticed that some of the discharge made it's way to my gooch(Region between your anus and scrotum) when I was sleeping.I might try that panty liner thing but for now my man diapers is doing it's job.Hopefully you will get your answers soon enough so stay positive bro.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby afugh!! » 02 Nov 2010, 18:19

Paul btw what does your CRS mean in pulling your seton?I know that a cutting seton is tightened by tugging than to re-tie it tighter.I read that in India where fistulas are more common they use a medicated seton and they tighten it by tying a new smaller seton on the old one and basically train it through.It must be real painful when the knot runs through it.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby PaulsPain » 02 Nov 2010, 19:15

Jeff, I think he will cut the loop and pull it out. The two ends are tied together with some kind of black string - kind of looks like suture material. The drain itself looks like a small zip tie. I was a little surprised when he said that he will just pull it without further surgery to repair the fistula. He said the draining seton can cure a fistula since the body heals around the drain. But he also thinks I have Crohn's so he wants to minimize the cutting since things heal slower and get inflamed. So I think he is waiting to see if they put me on some meds for the Crohn's. These meds can help close fistula's. So that is why next week I think he will keep things as-is until the GI has a say about the meds. The GI kind of implied that if I truly only have it impacting my peri-anal area(only2-5% of people with Crohn's have only the peri-anal region) then it sounds like I can keep treating it with surgery when issues come up or try meds. If he finds something elsewhere in my GI tract then meds are a must it sounds. But that is what is frustrating - it sounds like you can have Crohn's but have all the tests come back ok. So far all the blood and tissue biopsies have been normal. But my CRS says he 90% sure I have peri-anal Crohn's based on his 30 years of clinical experience.
About the cotton. I buy "Jumbo" 100% cotton balls that you can find at the local drug store. I have bought them at stores like Target or Walgreen's here locally. I then tear it in half. I take and shape it into more of a football shape. Then tuck it in the rear. For me it has made a huge difference in my pain and healing.
After surgery, I wore the large maxi pads for about 2 weeks or so to catch the drainage and blood. It worked pretty well. I have always gone back to work within days after surgery so I am always paranoid to make sure I am protected against soiling my clothing.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby motherluch » 02 Nov 2010, 19:43

Hi Everyone!
I am glad to have found this discussion....I too have a fistula, am petrified to have surgery, so glad to hear everyone seems to be doing well after surgery. I am wondering where your Drs are from?? I live in the ny/nj area??
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby afugh!! » 02 Nov 2010, 19:54

wow now I can see your frustration.I wouldn't be surprised if you want to have crohns just to get some answers.Just to wait and see if another fistula or fissure developes is something you don't want to have to go through just to have more surgeries.I've read that some of those meds have bad side effects and some that can cause cancer so I can see why your G.I. is just not willing to give you those meds until he assess it further.It's just a wait and see I suppose and if they do prescribe you those meds it should be under close supervision.Good luck and hopefully they will figure something out soon enough.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby afugh!! » 02 Nov 2010, 20:10

Hello motherluch.Had my surgery yesterday and things are going well for me.Pain wise right after surgery was none since my butt was numbed up with a lot of local anesthesia.My procedure only took 30 minutes and I went home pretty quickly afterwards.I'm on my first day post-op and my pain level is really mild and nothing a tylenol can't handle.Pain level may differ from person to person but don't let that scare you.The only thing that is really bothering me right now is the discharge/drainage but overall I can't complain.I live in Sylmar Calif.and had my surgery at Mission hills with a GS where it's only 4 minutes from my home.Try finding a CRS or GS around your area with experience in this type of surgery.You should have this surgery done asap because it can get worse like mines.Hopefully I'm of some help and stick around because I will keep updating my post-op experience.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist