In need of some diet tips

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

In need of some diet tips

Postby FissureFighter0122 » 29 Nov 2010, 11:44

Hi everyone,
I have a question about diet, and making sure to eat enough without tearing myself further. As some of you know, I had my son in January, and my Dr says I got my fissure from delivering him, as he was almost 9lbs, and got stuck on the way out. I have never had a constipation issue, and have been eating a fissure friendly diet, which sometimes seems to help, other days, it doesn't seem to matter what I eat, I tear anyways.
I am still breastfeeding my son, and have been eating the following daily:
1 cup of Fibre 1 Cereal with fruit, and 3 or 4 glasses of water, and 2 100mg docusate sodium
Lunch; 1 cup of bean soup and 3 or 4 glasses of water 1 100mg docusate sodium
Dinner; varies, but typically a small piece of chicken and steamed veggies. 3 or 4 glasses of water and 2 100mg docusate sodium
Since the birth of my son, I have lost 70lbs. I had some to lose before I got pregnant, and gained about 30lbs during my pregnancy, so up until now, I welcomed the weight loss. Now, its starting to scare me a little. I don't have much of anything left to lose, and I'm feeling quite un well most of the time. I am terrified to eat more, because of the consequences the next morning.
Any suggestions on how to get more into my diet without causing myself a world of hurt?
I am seeing the surgeon on Thursday, so I might end up having LIS soon, but it seems as though my body can't handle the demand of breastfeeding and the diet I am on now. :( I feel terrible.
Any advice would be appreciated! :) Thanks so much for reading this, you guys are the best! :) Thanks so much for all your support!
FissureFighter0122
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: In need of some diet tips

Postby Guest » 29 Nov 2010, 12:05

I know exactly where you are coming from. I'm fourty years old and weighed 112 lbs the day of my surgery. It's was very hard for me to not just keep loosing without more junk in my diet. I now have gained 10lbs back since LIS but had the same problems. I didn't want to eat more of the fiber foods because I didn't want to poop all day but couldn't think of anything to keep the weight from falling off that was fissure friendly besides applesauce, some yogurt and creamy peanut butter. Still didn't work though...
I feel so terrible for you. It's so hard on your body loosing that weight so fast and trying to keep a healthy diet and feed the baby...Hopefully others can help because I failed at this. I tried ensure but it does have milk in it and made my bm's harder.
I hope you can get your surgery soon!

Postby cherylk » 29 Nov 2010, 12:45

Ensure helped me gain weight. So hard to believe now that I ever wanted to gain. I think you need to take in more calories. I see they also have an "Ensure pudding" now!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby StevePain » 29 Nov 2010, 12:58

During my (worst) fissure days and eating a high fibre diet and little else I lost the best part of 2 stone, it takes it's toll on the mind as well as the body, I was getting very depressed at times, partly because of the pain but also the diet, but since having the LIS I basically eat anything so that I can gain some weight, getting calories is very important.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby FissureFighter0122 » 29 Nov 2010, 13:32

Hi Dawn!
Thanks so much for your response and support! Its good to know I'm not losing my mind! Haha! I'm going to give some yogurt and applesauce a try and see how that goes! :) Thanks for the ideas!
I have been reading some of your posts, how are you feeling now? Still doing great after your surgery? :)
Thanks Cheryl! I'll keep an eye out for those, or something similar! I do feel like I need more calories, that's for sure! I might try drinking some fruit juice too, see if that helps!
Thanks Steve! I'm glad to hear you have been able to get lots of calories after your surgery too! Hopefully that will be me soon! :) How have you been feeling?
FissureFighter0122
Salt Bather

Postby cherylk » 29 Nov 2010, 13:55

FF,
Try some ice cream, milk shakes, sundaes, desserts---all of the things most of us have to watch out for now.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby StevePain » 29 Nov 2010, 14:54

Hey Jenn, I'm feeling ok I guess, I have many more good days than bad, bad days are just a minor annoyance tbh, nowhere near like pre surgery, it largely depends on what I eat on a day-to-day basis.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby FissureFighter0122 » 29 Nov 2010, 15:06

Oooo good idea Cheryl! I'll try something soft like that, and see how that goes! :) Sure will be a delicious way to add some calories! Image
Hey Steve,
Glad to hear you are doing better than before the surgery at the very least! :) After the past 3 weeks, I am seriously considering booking the LIS while I'm at the surgeon's office on Thursday, but I'll see what she thinks. I trust her opinion. Hope things get even better for you soon!
FissureFighter0122
Salt Bather

Postby PaulsPain » 29 Nov 2010, 15:13

I second Ensure for weight gain and nutrients. They sell lots of different varieties. I have been drinking Ensure "Plus". I found the variety that had fiber in it made my BM a little loose.
Also, I eat a ton of yogurt every day. Yogurt can be very high calorie if you buy the right variety. I like the Greek yogurt - Chobani, Fage. Plus you get probiotics which is good for digestion.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby Guest » 29 Nov 2010, 17:23

Hey FF,
I'm doing great. Thanks for asking :)
Juice is a good idea too and like Paul said- get the high calorie yogurt.
I was always afraid to touch any dairy products besides yogurt and I ate very little. I can think of a ton of things that are high calorie, just not sure what they'll do to the bm consistency with a fissure. I always heard that dairy is constipating so I figured it could make bm's harder.... Image