Two days post-op

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Two days post-op

Postby StevePain » 09 Dec 2010, 11:01

Give it time and you will heal, I had internal stitches which hurt like hell, at one point I'm sure I popped a couple because the pain was so intense, I also had bleeding and discharge which went in time, infact I think the popping of a few stitches hampered my healing time, I still have a bit of discharge now and then especially after a tricky BM, but after 4 months I can say I'm healed.
Just be patient and vigilant, take good care of your ass and you will get there in the end.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Cagirl » 09 Dec 2010, 20:26

Hello over here, I had LIS 7 days ago also. I thought my light bleeding was over, but it's back a little today too. I did decide to vacuum yesterday and I think over did it, so I don't blame my rear at all. What type of discharge are you all talking about - bleeding? Or other?
My discharge instructions did say this bleeding could go on for a month. I had open LIS, btw.
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Guest » 09 Dec 2010, 20:30

Just bleeding here. Nothing too bad except for last night when I had a bit of a rush. 99% sure the stitches are starting to dissolve as I had another quick stabbing pain today that passed. Reminds me of the feeling of stitches from past surgeries. I'm also 7 days so guess maybe they start breaking down then. Itching is finally lessening a bit to.
I'm just glad the AF pain seems gone. From what I've been reading it sounds like most that have LIS don't really have a recurrence so that gives hope.

Postby Cagirl » 09 Dec 2010, 20:42

It does seem my pain is gone too, but I'll find out how long I can stand up for on Saturday when I have to go see Santa with my kids. A couple days ago, it started burning after standing for about 10-15 minutes. I'm fine when sitting though.
I had read that a recurrence is somewhat common and the AF can easily be broken again, that's the reason for lifetime stool softeners. I like your prognosis a lot better though, it gives me a little hope for not having to walk on eggshells the rest of my life!
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 09 Dec 2010, 20:51

Really? From what I've read it sounds like because LIS permanently weakens the sphincter new AF are unlikely to occur, and if they do, more likely to heal on their own. The blood flow to that area should always be at least somewhat better than it started before LIS because of the weakened muscle. At least I certainly hope that's the case.

Postby Guest » 11 Dec 2010, 08:16

Recurrence isn't all that common after Lis but does happen.
I agree with you esheesle and as a matter of fact my crs's office told me that most go on to never get a fissure again after LIS... Many aren't on stool softeners for life. If I read correctly in the older post, Steve Pain, Fissy, Kim and Small Change are some examples of people on this board who quit stool softeners after LIS. I guess if you are more apt to get constipated then that may be necessary.

Postby Cagirl » 11 Dec 2010, 21:11

Oh fabulous, I'm so glad to be reading something positive. I thought for sure this was for life and I'd be on stool softeners or Miralax forever. Dang, I hate drinking that stuff! And ohhhh whatever will happen the night I forget to drink it!?!?? AAAkkkkkkkk....
I got this from taking CoQ10 for 3 days and got impacted.
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 15 Dec 2010, 11:17

So how is everyone else doing in the 2 week post LIS group? Most of the discomfort is gone except occassionally after bm, and just some minor stuff, mainly itching(both fissure and incision site). Some minor bleeding, but barely noticeable except after bm, and even then pretty minor and only lasts a few minutes at most.

Postby Cagirl » 15 Dec 2010, 11:26

Hello esheesle! Glad to hear you're doing great!
I'm 13 days post op and feel great. I only had LIS, nothing else. Open LIS. And I'd never know I had anything done. I haven't had any pain even with the dreaded first post op BM. I think the bleeding has stopped. Well it has for a couple of days, so I'm hoping it continues. No itching either. I do have some gas at night, but I think it's from the Miralax (an everpresent lovely reminder of my having to continue healing). I'm definitely taking it easy though for another couple weeks. I'm not sure how long I can stand up for, maybe 30 minutes, and that's all I'm trying at this point. I'm milking this Lady of Leisure business for all it's worth!
I'm sure I'm not making any friends here by doing well, but I want to send encouragement for everyone debating LIS. Image
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 437 » 15 Dec 2010, 12:06

Overall, I'm doing well. The incision site pain after BM's has dropped of significantly, and I haven't much blood or leakage in the past few days. Really none at all. The problem I seem to have now is some minor discomfort at the fissure site....feels like general bruising and soreness with occasional minor burning. I don't know if it's been there the whole time and I'm just noticing it now after the incision site pain is going away, or if it's just recently started. It's been compounded a bit the last couple of days by spasms at night when I try to fall asleep. Other than that, which really isn't that big of a deal, I'm doing fine, and glad to hear you guys are too. I hbe my 2 week post op appointment tomorow so I'll let everyone know how that goes.
Fiberup
Deleted User 437