Lis on 7/22 - A few questions...

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Lis on 7/22 - A few questions...

Postby jis76 » 18 Jul 2019, 14:54

Hi fellow sufferers

I am having my LIS on Monday... I am super nervous (generally pretty nervous about stuff like this), but it's become a necessity. My pain has been out of control this week, and I've been dealing with this for 10+ years.

A few questions for folks that went through this:

1) How soon afterwards can you/did you take your first Sitz bath. I find them to be one of the only things that helps with the fissure pain at the moment. As I understand there will be some packing, can you take a bath with packing in?

2) Along those lines, does the packing come out when you have your first BM, or do you end up pulling it out?

3) Were folks in 'active fissure pain' when they had the procedure? I keep seeing people saying 'the LIS hurts less than my fissure', and hoping that is how it goes for me, but were you actively in a lot of pain right before the procedure?

4) How soon back to exercising? Planning on just walking as soon as I feel up to it. Would like to get back to running, lifting, and maybe biking.... hoping on 4-6 weeks, but I know it depends on how recovery goes.
jis76
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: Lis on 7/22 - A few questions...

Postby Tatie » 19 Jul 2019, 13:18

Hello :)

I am also having a LIS next week! To answer a few of your questions just from having read through multiple forums...If I understand correctly the packing will come out with your first BM...I have read that some people have actually removed it themselves during a sitz bath. My pre-op papers say to do at least three sitz baths per day + after every BM. It doesn't say when to start them though....my CRS said that his patients who are in 'active pain' feel a tremendous relief from the LIS immediately. If you are in a tremendous amount of pain then this should help you ALOT. I have had my AF for two years now...and although conservative measures have allowed me to live in minimal pain, my diet is so restricted and I cannot wean off nifedipine so like you I will have a LIS next week.

As for exercise my papers say when i feel up to it...but to move around freely from day 1. Give your wound some good healing time first before you do anything too strenuous.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your recovery!!!
Tatie
Salt Bather

Postby jis76 » 19 Jul 2019, 15:02

Hi Tatie! Thanks so much for your thoughtful responses! Glad to know that there are others on there way to recovery with me next week, hope to hear about your great results next week!

If it helps... I think your doing the right thing. I have spent many many years with the nifedipine and Miralax. The pain was mostly minimal till this last bout, which really made me wish I had just done this 8 years ago when I first saw the CRS. I think many of us could go for years using nifedipine and Miralax and baths and a good diet, but the problem is never really solved. The LIS gives us that opportunity with minimal risk (and hopefully minimal pain).
jis76
Salt Bather

Postby Tatie » 19 Jul 2019, 16:41

Hey !:)

I cannot wait to be done with this, honestly. It's been two long years and I cannot wait to heal and move on with my life. I am more afraid of living like this than the potential side effects of LIS, honestly. My CRS said he has been doing this procedure for 17 years and has never had a patient with permanent incontinence ( I will take those odds !:)

Since you were mentioning a packing, sounds like you will have an open-LIS. My surgeon specializes in the closed- LIS ...but they both work ! From what I have learned what's the most important thing is you are with a CRS who is comfortable with their particular technique.

Looks like we will be surgery buddies :) Better to do this stuff in pairs :)
Tatie
Salt Bather

Postby tightbutt5678 » 19 Jul 2019, 20:27

Hi jis76!

I am on day 18 post op LIS with tag removal so I can try to answer your questions.

First of all, don't be nervous it is really a walk in the park and you will be so so happy you did it!

1) I took my first bath the day after surgery. It was all fine, no pain or anything, it felt like the baths I took presurgery. My packing fell out when I went to the loo. I didn't need to pull it out. I think it fell out when I was peeing actually because I didn't have my first BM until day 2 or 3. I think it's fine to take a bath with packing still there.

2) It will probably just fall out but call the nurse or whatever contact you have to ask about this just in case.

3) I was in some pain before my surgery because I couldn't take any painkiller or use rectogesic that day. So I had to endure the tightness and minor spasms that day. But indeed I was much better immediately after the LIS!

4) I was walking around right after surgery. Starting very slow. By day 5 I was doing 1 hour uphill walks and felt great. I am now going to the gym (last 4 days) and it's great! You should talk to your doc/nurse about this but I think it's a very individual thing. See how you feel.

You will be fine! Get ready for some real healing to start and to have your life back before you know it! :)

You can read my LIS diary if you want more details about how my recovery is going:

lis-with-tag-removal-2nd-of-july-t25601.html
- February 2019 : Fissure
- Tried all of the creams, perfecting the diet, self dilation
- Reduced symptoms significantly but still not healed
- July 2019 : LIS with tag removal
tightbutt5678
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Tatie » 19 Jul 2019, 20:39

Tightbutt,

Thank you so much for posting your recovery process! It is stories like yours that give me hope. I cannot wait to be on the other side of this.
Tatie
Salt Bather

Postby tightbutt5678 » 19 Jul 2019, 20:47

You got this, Tatie! :)
- February 2019 : Fissure
- Tried all of the creams, perfecting the diet, self dilation
- Reduced symptoms significantly but still not healed
- July 2019 : LIS with tag removal
tightbutt5678
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Tatie » 19 Jul 2019, 21:34

:)
Tatie
Salt Bather

Postby jis76 » 21 Jul 2019, 12:50

Thanks for the all good vibes tightbutt5678 ..I read your posts and gave me lots of hope. Your answer to the questions helped a ton too :)

Super nervous about tomorrow, more nervous that 'something else is wrong', since I've been in so much pain for the last week ... keep thinking I have an abcess here too... hoping the surgeon takes a good look and does what he needs to do, will start a diary on Tuesday with my post LIS and whatever else they do to me experiences.
jis76
Salt Bather

Postby Tatie » 21 Jul 2019, 17:32

Jis76,

Good luck tomorrow ! My thoughts and prayers are with you! Give us an update as soon as you are up to it !
Tatie
Salt Bather