19 days post LIS and Infected!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

19 days post LIS and Infected!

Postby Deleted User 437 » 21 Dec 2010, 12:48

So the last few days have been a living hell. I was out of town for work and was in constant pain. I was under the muscle surrounding the incision site was in constant spasm. I was beginning to think that maybe I have some type of muscular disorder thr was going to F me up forever. The pain was continuous and wouldn't stop. I saw the doctor this a.m., he took one look and said "I'll be damned, you have an infection.". He lanced it right there in the office (it didn't tickle) and gave me a prescription for antibiotics. I already feel much better, but after I left the office, I rembered that infection can be associated with a fistula. Can anyone enlighten me on the subject?
Thanks,
Fiberup
Deleted User 437

Re: 19 days post LIS and Infected!

Postby Deleted User 437 » 21 Dec 2010, 12:50

Also, there was a tremendous amount of puss that was drained. I don't know if the size of the abcess has anything to do with the possibilty of a fistula.
Deleted User 437

Postby PaulsPain » 21 Dec 2010, 13:09

That is a bummer..... I hope you start feeling better soon.
A fistula can form from an untreated abscess. So basically after awhile the puss will find a way to drain itself - forming a fistula.
I would think in your case since it was caught early and was from the incision site that you hopefully don't have to worry. Also the fact that he was able to lance it means it wasn't deep.
But it might be worth a quick call to your CRS for reassurance....
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby Deleted User 437 » 21 Dec 2010, 13:16

Thanks Paul
Deleted User 437

Postby Guest » 21 Dec 2010, 13:41

Sorry about the infection Fiberup!
It's crazy how they act like it's so rare, but I keep reading post on here and it seems to happen more often than they act like.
Hopefully you will be on your way to healing and feeling much better now!:)

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 21 Dec 2010, 14:09

Sorry to hear this :(
About abscesses and fistulas: it is indeed possible for there to be a fistula on the other side. Draining the abscess is the quick fix and will provide immediate relief, but won't cure any fistula that may exist. Unfortunately the only way to tell at this point is time. If the abscess recurs, a fistulotomy may be in order. Hopefully this will just take care of it though.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Deleted User 437 » 21 Dec 2010, 14:56

Thanks Dawn and NG,
I certainly feel a hell of a lot better now that sucker has been drained. It's also to at least know what the problem was. I was freaking out before just not having any idea.....because I'd seen the crs on Thursday and he sai it was healing well. I guess he didn't take a close enough look cuz it hurt then too.
NG,
Am I to understand that if there is a fistula it is already there and just needs time to manifest itself? I thought they happened when the puss basically bores it way out through an opening in the outer anus? That doesn't seem to be an issue.....all of my drainage stopped over a week ago.
FWIW I did talk to my doctor and he said a fistula is a possibility, but because of the superficiality of my incision site, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
Regardless, I hope today is the end of it. On the bright side, I think my fissure has healed :-)
Deleted User 437

Postby PaulsPain » 21 Dec 2010, 15:47

It is possible to have it come out up inside your anal canal. I had an abscess(drained in Sept) and fistula. I still have the fistula. This fistula came out high inside my anal canal and involved about half my sphincter muscle. So I have a draining seton that enters the incision site and comes out my rear to make a loop. I just found out in November what is causing all my peri-anal disease - Crohn's.
I had a shallow fistula dealt with in my LIS surgery(Jan 2010) which they sliced it open. So if they are shallow they are easier to treat.
The main symptom for me is drainage.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby Deleted User 437 » 21 Dec 2010, 16:15

Paul,
I'm sorry to hear that you have Crohn's and all these issues. I take it they can't do surgery on the fistula because it's too much muscle?
My God, these anal issues just suck!! Just when you think you've got it beat, something else pops up. I hope your quality of life is ok, considering your condition.
Deleted User 437

Postby Cagirl » 21 Dec 2010, 21:36

Oh sorry to hear that! But hope you're on the mend now!
Take care!
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 9