Day 2 Post LIS & Abscess Drain

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Day 2 Post LIS & Abscess Drain

Postby Justme71 » 23 Sep 2020, 10:12

I had LIS & Abscess drained on Monday night. I have been dealing with chronic fissure for 3 months and the pain was brutal after a BM for hours. Started last two weeks to have mucus which doctor examined and I have an infection. Thus, they moved my surgery up.

1st day - right after surgery I felt pretty good. Was able to walk, managed to walkout to the car for my ride home. Pain was very manageable, I just took Tylenol and spent most of the day resting.

Day 2 - i was awaken with the sensation that I needed to have a bm. I was scared, removed the gauze and passed a small amount which was very loose. Surprise, no stingy at all, no pain at all. Had a shower and sitz bath and rested. Then some pain arrived but much less than my normal. We will see what happens when I have a larger bm.

Anxiety, I had a lot while in the hospital. I was really worried about post surgery. Well, so far so good. It’s awful living with a AF and been in so much pain everyday. It hijacked my life & began causing me serious emotion distress. I was so depressed. To those thinking about LIS, I know its scary but everyone’s experience will be different and we don’t have to live with AF endlessly. Don’t let fear keep you from getting help. I was really scared before and am glad it’s done. Now, I will tackle each recovery day one day at a time knowing I will get my life back.

Not out of the woods but I’m confident I can manage and am glad it’s done
Justme71
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Day 2 Post LIS & Abscess Drain

Postby rlb273 » 09 Oct 2020, 09:06

How are you doing now that it has been almost a month? How is your pain? I am scheduled for LIS soon.
rlb273
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Justme71 » 09 Oct 2020, 09:15

The surgery was a success. I had very little pain afterwards. My BM sting a little (very minor) and only last a couple of minutes. The area is still recovering.

After a Bm I have none of the pain I had before. In fact, my life is returning to normal. Before I was unable to drive because I could not sit very long and I had pain for 6/7 hrs after a Bm. All of that is gone.

For me the surgery was a lot less difficult and painful than I had feared.

LIS was the best decision I made and I feel it has me back on the road to my normal life.

Advice after, drink lots of water, take a stool softener to keep your BM soft for the first weeks after the surgery.
Justme71
Fibre Addict

Postby rlb273 » 09 Oct 2020, 09:19

Thanks so much, this is great news.

I have been living with a fissure for 3 years and finally have the opportunity to get LIS. Online it seems that there are a lot of scary stories.

I currently am the same. After BM there is no way I can drive, that will cause spasms all day. For me the spasms are the worst part. They last so long and are really distracting all day long.

Thanks for sharing, and glad to know you have gotten your life back. That is what I am hoping for, too.
rlb273
Fibre Addict

Postby Justme71 » 09 Oct 2020, 09:22

Good luck,

I talked to my surgeon before the surgery because I read the same horror stories. He told me for every 1 of those stories there are another 10000 that are positive. He said it would go good for me and it did.

Sounds like you and I have/had similar pain. LIS really helped and it was not bad at all.

Hope you get relief soon.
Justme71
Fibre Addict

Postby rlb273 » 09 Oct 2020, 09:36

Thanks for putting it in perspective. Can I ask how old you are? I'm 29 and healthy otherwise, hoping that will be in my favor when it comes to healing.

And yes, for me the pain is primarily the spasms. I really don't have much pain from the actual fissure and rarely see blood. It is just the spasms that last for hours on end. I have spent many days sitting on a heating pad! haha
rlb273
Fibre Addict

Postby Justme71 » 09 Oct 2020, 09:49

No problem, I’m 49, relatively healthy.

I too had no blood after BM but just hours and hours of spasms. I would sit in the bath just to get some relief.

Don’t overthink it, like I said I did and was pretty worried before and it was so much better than I expected.

Take care
Justme71
Fibre Addict

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?