New here...LIS tomorrow

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: New here...LIS tomorrow

Postby Bumbutt » 07 Jan 2011, 10:16

Thanks for the report! It sounds like it went pretty well, so good for you!
You probably have to let the dentist's office know tomorrow, huh? I don't know - I would call them and explain the situation, and see if they can't move your appointment a little bit, so that it still suits your time frame.
But that's just my opinion, and I haven't had LIS done. But I have had wisdom teeth out, and depending on how they are (impacted or not), it can be anything from smooth sailing to a bit painful.
Good luck in your butt healing process!!
PS - if you let the dentists office know today, maybe there's a larger chance you can swap times with someone who is scheduled for later next week...
Last edited by Bumbutt on 07 Jan 2011, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: PS
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby Guest » 07 Jan 2011, 10:23

Congrats on your LIS being over,Lisa!! It really isn't that bad. I keep trying to tell others that,Lol
Don't be afraid of your first BM. I was surprised at how much better my BM's were after surgery than before. You may notice your stools being HUGE during this period so don't panic,Lol.... They will become normal again.
I really don't see a problem with going ahead and getting your dental work done if you feel able. I'm not sure if you will be able to set by then but you should be laying back, right?
Just be sure and try to stay off your rear as much as possible to relieve any pressure. It's going to be swollen for some time. I had a skin tag removed with my LIS so I know that I wouldn't have been able to go out as soon as you may be able too. I kept saying if I would have had LIS alone, I think I would have been one of those record breaking recoveries, because I've never felt anything other than the soreness from where the skin tag was removed and that left around 6-7 weeks. I still couldn't tell you where the LIS incision was as I never had any issues there.
Take care!

Postby ElizabethAnnB » 07 Jan 2011, 11:19

I had the skin tag removed too..It's definitely bothering me more than anything, but I am constantly putting the lidocaine ointment on there. I can still feel it a bit and see it in the mirror but I think it is just swollen from where he cut it and stitched it. I was excited to get rid of that ugly thing. I guess I am just going to keep the appointment for now...because I would hate to move it back and then feel okay on Monday. I already talked to them about it. It was originally scheduled for today until I figured out I was having LIS so soon. But, since no one on here has really said that it is way too soon, I am going to shoot for Monday still. Thanks all, and I'll keep you updated. Image
ElizabethAnnB
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby reidgirl » 07 Jan 2011, 19:10

Lisa, I admire you for going through with surgery! I had an LIS/fissurectomy scheduled for 12/21 but chickened out the day before and canceled it. Did you have to have a fissurectomy? I think that's the part I'm most afraid of. Sounds like you handled it well. Good luck with your recovery. I'm very interested to hear how you recover from it!
reidgirl
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Postby New mum » 08 Jan 2011, 05:04

Congrats lisa on ur lis.
How r u feeling? It took me a good 2 weeks till i felt better and could sit on my butt. But thats just me. U may feel good enough to go out in a few days.
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby ElizabethAnnB » 08 Jan 2011, 12:41

I feel a lot better today than yesterday. I was having trouble figuring out whether the pain killers were helping or the ibuprofen or the lidocaine and it is definitely the ibuprofen. It actually puts me back at almost 100%, with no pain. If I fall behind though...My butt hurts bad! Had the first BM. It was no big deal at all. I had definitely prepared myself with Percocet, Ibuprofen and miralax though. All in all, it isn't that bad as long as I stay ahead of the pain. I can walk around and do things without any pain. Without the Ibuprofen/percocet though, my butt feels like it is on fire. It is so uncomfortable even just laying on the couch. I'm glad I finaly figured out that the Ibuprofen was helping because I had some on and off periods of bad pain and then none and was having trouble figuring out what was helping and what wasn't.
ElizabethAnnB
Fibre Addict

Postby ElizabethAnnB » 12 Jan 2011, 17:51

Day 6-
So, I thought I was off to a really great start. If I took the percocets and Ibuprofen, I was having no pain. Now, I am having a lot of pain. How is this possible? I am on day 6 and the pain is horrible. It is outside pain. I am guessing from the place where the skin tag was cut, but it is bad and no percocet or vicodin is helping at all. I am also having a bit of leakage now. I don't know if maybe the area is just irritated and swollen, but it's scaring me now because it wasn't this bad a few days ago. I had my teeth done and it isn't bothering me at all compared to the pain I am feeling at the skin tag site. I have tried using the lidocaine ointment, A & D ointment. Nothing seems to be helping...
I should have a follow up appointment soon. Is it possible that maybe I irritated the site and sent myself backwards? I was having some issues with the percocet and constipation and then too much Miralax. Ugh! I just want a normal butt. As of right now, I feel like I am back at day 1. It seems like the stitches are in the worst spot and all around it is really swollen and irritated. It's the worst it has been!
Should I be icing this or something? Maybe?
ElizabethAnnB
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 12 Jan 2011, 19:56

Hey Lisa,
It was very sore where my skin tag was removed. I also had leakage and it caused more irritation when I walked around too much. I really made an effort for the first 2 -almost 3 weeks to basically lay around 90% of the time.
I rinsed my bottom through out the day with the shower wand and tried to just let it air out at night or when no-one was at home. I laid some of those pet pad things under me on the sofa or bed and laid down. I didn't set on my butt at all for nearly 3 weeks.
I was told to ice 20 minutes and off 40 the first 2 days, but I believe I kept it up for a week or more if I'm recalling correctly.
I also did the warm baths after bm's and then some more just to keep clean....I applied A&D ointment on the inside of my cheeks but not on the anus at all. I was told not to apply anything on the wound because it needs to air. When I went for my 4 week post-op, I was then given the OK to apply vaseline after washing with plain warm water(no soap) and patting dry. I used the blow dryer.
You may already be doing all this, but just thought I'd share as it did work for me....But at 6 days the skin tag will definitely still be sore. I counted weeks and by week 2, there was a major difference, AND so on.
The soreness didn't completely go away until about week 6-7 but each week showed improvement. :)

Postby Guest » 12 Jan 2011, 19:59

pss...Lisa this is just my 2 cents but I would definitely not put anything on the wound. It really needs to air and while it's leaking poop-it's just going to harbor all that bacteria and gunk on that.

Postby ElizabethAnnB » 12 Jan 2011, 21:04

I am definitely doing the baths. I feel like I am in the bath more during the day than out lately. It is the only way I can be sure that I am clean and it helps the most with the pain. I am definitely staying off my butt more. I admit I wasn't all that careful right out of surgery because I wasn't having that much pain.
the A and D definitely wasn't a good idea. it just made me feel even more unclean. The lidocaine, my CRS told me to use as much as I want but it has the same feeling as A and D and only lasts for a few minutes anyway..
Are using baby wipes a bad idea for small clean up? I have to go back to school Monday and was trying to think of something I can take with me in my bag. I know a lot of the wipes have aloe and stuff in them though, and I wasn't sure if that would be a great idea or not.
I looked for the wool cloths that were recommended on here at Walgreens before surgery but I couldn't find any.
ElizabethAnnB
Fibre Addict