New here...LIS tomorrow

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: New here...LIS tomorrow

Postby StevePain » 14 Jan 2011, 03:35

haha me too, "take a week out and you'll be fine" I was told.. I'm not gonna swear but that takes the P1$$..
I was unable to sit down properly for 3 months and the pain was pretty bad, the world seems to be awash with clueless CRS's
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 14 Jan 2011, 06:09

Lisa,
the nurse who took care of me after my surgery at the surgery center was asking me questions about having a fissure...She read everything to me off a paper and I think it said something about returning to normal activities in a few days and I said yeah right, and she said I'm just reading what it says,Lol!
They also told me I could take my vicodin on the way home and stop and get something to eat at Mcdonalds or something so I didn't get sick on an empty stomach...

Postby Bumbutt » 14 Jan 2011, 07:29

One more reason why you guys and this board are Buttsavers and Lifesavers! Giving us the good information and support we need to (try) to take some control over our health! Image
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby cherylk » 14 Jan 2011, 08:30

BB,
Yes, collectively we all here have probably more knowledge (through trial and error and reading and listening to others' experiences) than most doctors!! Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby happyass » 14 Jan 2011, 08:39

@ dawn - i totally believe that your nurse would say to resume activities within 3 - 5 days. as a matter of fact, as part of my 20 questions at pre-op surgery visit, i asked my CRS what i could do to keep blood flow circulating down there as much as possible to aid in healing and she said that she expected me to continue life as usual, keeping physical and not lay in bed all day.
Image i was in disbelief.
but i am willing to take that approach once all is said and done. of course she said not to lift heavy things & emphasized not to strain whatsoever down there. but keep physically active within reason.
we'll see....
i do have a 5K that i am supposed to do in early april (or is it late march?)....so i am kinda curious to see if i will make that race.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 14 Jan 2011, 17:24

Happy,
I was actually told by the CRS before my surgery that it would be a week of taking it slow. My husband said "great, so she only needs to be in bed a week" :roll: and she said yes, but the nurse who read the post-op instructions read 3 days Image
I could have did more than I chose to do but I just took it easy and followed some of what the older LIS-ers did who seemed to heal well in this forum.
Everyone who posted on this board and said 2-3 weeks were much more accurate in my opinion.
Happy, I'm thinking by March, you should be feeling pretty good, but I'm not sure about a marathon. Maybe though, you just never know!
My biggest issue has been some irritation from leakage when walking too much. It has improved majorly since surgery but is still happening at almost 3-months post-op.
Cheryl, you are right about people who have experienced this having much more knowledge than the doctors. I think they may think because the majority of people go back in 2 weeks to their post-op appointments and say they are feeling much better than before LIS were that way 2-3 days after the surgery?! They need to see us 2-3 days after the surgery to make that observation, because I can guarantee you anyone who had this surgery has a swollen booty that's black and blue at 3 days....
Not trying to scare anyone but your butts been through surgery and it's not ready to get back to regular activities at 3 days post-op and like I read in another post" It will punish you" if you try to push too hard.
Chances are good that if you treat it well for a few weeks and baby it, it will payoff in the long run! Image

Postby happyass » 15 Jan 2011, 07:04

definitely dawn.
i will probably do some low activity wii but i don't expect to be on my elliptical any time soon.
i do have a dog that i will have someone walk but i will try to sneak in an afternoon short walk to get some movement.
my race is a 5K - my marathon days are on hold due to a left knee injury that i don't want to stress out unless if i can lose like 20 more pounds.
my concern right now is that i am feeling quite normal - have been since january 1 - like i am back to feeling even better than pre-injury in early december with that episode of constipation.
so altho i am going thru with it, and i will have other butt work done, it seems sad that i will do surgery will have to take some steps back and endure the black and blue butt.
as like everyone else, the goal here is to achieve normality and use of your butt like pre-fissure days and not make it worse.
even if it takes 3-6 months to heal and another 6 to feel normal. i just really don't want it to be a irreversible step back.
have to go into it with no fear but realistic and do my time to get the prize.
happyass
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 15 Jan 2011, 12:54

Amen on doing the time to get the prize Happy! That just about sizes it all up...Lol
The day after surgery when my first bm didn't feel like fissure pain was my first victory and...
That two week mark is where I knew I was on my way. No spasms, sleeping all night... Every week just kept getting better.
And Happy, wait til you feel your butt and laverne and shirley are gone!! It's a beautiful thing!!

Postby happyass » 15 Jan 2011, 15:09

thanks dawn!
yes the main thing here now about my procedure is really to deal with laverne & shirley. shirley was with me in japan and was super good.
i hope all goes well and it will be so nice to say goodbye to the girls! it was nice but i can't wait to kiss them goodbye!
still more scared of their bon voyage over the LIS.
i don't want to jinx myself but i have had no issues with the fissure or spasms or bleeding or pain since the 30th of dec.
just odd sensations here and there - but not pain.
it will be a shock to have to deal with pain, bleeding, and discharges post-op! ugh.
happyass
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 15 Jan 2011, 22:10

I know what you mean Happy. I was kind of glad my fissure gave me hell right before surgery. It made it easier to go through with it. I remember the morning of my surgery having a bm and it hurt and I thought that I'm doing the right thing. About 2 months before it was being so nice that I thought I was going to heal it and probably would have definitely second guessed my decision to have surgery if it would have been doing ok.
I can imagine it's hard to go from doing pretty good to the post-op pain and healing.... Just think though, how you can make what's been happening since December permanent. It wont be just a good couple of weeks or a month and then back to square one. Happy, I have no doubt you will do well with LIS/ skin tag removal. You managed to control a fissure for years on your own! You have all the knowledge of how to make the bm's soft, eat right,etc... All that's keeping it from healing is that stupid tight sphincter!!
I gave my fissure 8 months to heal before LIS (not that long compared to you) and I just kept reminding myself that I could dedicate a little more time doing the surgery and getting rid of this thing permanently. Honestly it wasn't that bad. The pain meds work great if you need them.
I only took them the second day and slept through that night without any.
Then went on the ibuprofen when or if I needed it. For me- it was nothing like dealing with the fissure.