I had colonoscopy and LIS on Thursday

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

I had colonoscopy and LIS on Thursday

Postby Northpoo » 15 Jan 2011, 11:06

Hey there. I've been suffering from a fissure for over 3 years and have been visiting this forum for sometime now. I had LIS and a colonoscopy last Thursday morning and wanted to tell my experience so far.
I used Duculax and Pico-Salax for the colonoscopy prep on the Wednesday. Very easy and not painful on the fissure at all. I recommend that you start eating light 4 days prior. Get off the fiber supplements, but still eat fruits and veggies. Starting on the Tuesday, I went on a liquid diet of broth, juice and Gatorade.
The anticipation of the surgery is WAY worse than the actual surgery. I was freaking out for weeks and I was scared of general anesthetic. Got the hospital Thursday morning at 6:45 got undressed and was asked a million question over and over again by the nurses, surgeon and anesthesiologist. Was brought into the operating room at 7:30 got on the table and was covered with various heart rate monitoring stickers and the IV was put in. Was speaking to the nurse at one moment and the next moment I was waking up in recovery and given 2 Tylenol 3s.
Woke up with ALOT of gas pain from the colonoscopy, which I expected. Pain from the surgery was not that bad yet.
Left hospital at 11:00. Was in pain, but not even enough to complain about. Drive home was uncomfortable, but I only live 2 minutes from the hospital.
Got home, went to bed and ate a small snack. Toast, apple slices and a cracker with PB. Laid in bed for several hours taking 1 T3 at 2 and another at 6. Pain was minimal so I stopped taking the T3s. Took a couple of Advil before I went to sleep that night just in case.
Day 2 was pretty painless, but I still had the padding stuck inside me which was starting to become uncomfortable. So I decided to pull it out. It was a little difficult and hurt to get out, but felt so much better after. Was a little sore from the removal, but a nice hot bath fixed that up. Most of day was dealing with the gas pain. Surgery pain was minimal. Ate some oatmeal and fruit and a smoothie.
Today is day 3. Still dealing with some gas pain and every once in a while I get some shocking pain at the surgery site, but all in all, I feel pretty good. However, I am still waiting for my first BM. I'm guessing it may take a few days since my colon was completely empty and I haven't really eating a ton. The surgeon gave me stool softeners, which I have been taking and hope it makes the BM nice and easy.
So, that's my story so far. LIS hasn't been that bad for me yet. I hope after my first BM it continues.

Northpoo
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: I had colonoscopy and LIS on Thursday

Postby StevePain » 15 Jan 2011, 12:14

Thanks for sharing your experience so far, it sounds like your doing great, don't fear the first BM, it isn't that bad!
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Northpoo » 15 Jan 2011, 14:31

You bet. Happy to answer any questions.
Thanks. Worst part is waiting for the BM.
Northpoo
Fibre Addict

Postby happyass » 15 Jan 2011, 15:04

welcome to the LIS January 2011 club!
your experience is quite encouraging for the two of us that have ours next.....
keep up the good work! and happy healing!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby scaredy_butt » 15 Jan 2011, 17:37

Yay! Someone else from Canada! So glad to hear that you are doing so well after your surgery! I'll be the last January LIS-er so I am reading everyones stories with great interest!
scaredy_butt
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby Northpoo » 16 Jan 2011, 07:51

I had my 1st BM today, although it wasn't very much. There was some blood. In some discomfort now but nothing too bad yet. Going start to eat a little more now and try and get the diet back to normal.
Northpoo
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 16 Jan 2011, 09:35

Hey there,
Good that your getting the bowels moving now. I stepped up on my food intake too a few days after my surgery. My bm's were small at first but became normal soon after. A little blood sounds ok too.
I'm not sure if you are already on a fissure friendly diet but it's a good idea to stay on it while recovering. It's important to stil keep the bm's soft and avoid the bad foods. I'm sure you already know this though:)
Take care!

Postby StevePain » 16 Jan 2011, 09:51

Yeah I was the same as dawn, BM's were small at first but then they became normal, then supersized Image but they passed with ease thankfully!
Keep up the good work!
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Northpoo » 16 Jan 2011, 15:51

Thanks guys!
Have been on the fissure diet and increased my fiber today by going back on the all bran buds.
Had a 2nd bm. It was a little more then the 1st one and can feel my digestive system finally getting back on track. The BM didn't hurt, but it felt weird. Starting feeling pain about 3 mins after though, definitely the worst pain I've felt since coming right out of the surgery. Took a bath and have been waiting for the pain to pass. Not horrible, but not fun either.
Northpoo
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 16 Jan 2011, 18:21

Hey North,
Just keep taking the baths and babying that tush. It's a slow process but it will get better. I counted weeks,not days. Every week I'd ask myself if I was better than the week before. I saw small improvements at first and near week 3 there was a huge improvement. I went shopping for the day and had no problems. If you would have asked me at week 1, I would have never thought it would be that soon.