Legal action hemmorhoidectomy

Legal action?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Legal action hemmorhoidectomy

Postby thesagacontinues » 01 Apr 2023, 12:14

Hi all,

Hope you are all well.

Firstly thank you all for writing posts and offering advice. I’ve been lurking on here for months and found many useful tips, so thank you all again.

I’ll be writing 2 posts, the first to discuss taking legal action against my surgeon, and the 2nd detailing my story, my tips, and asking for further advice.

So firstly, the legal action part. I had a hemmorhoidectomy done in April last year, which led to me developing an anal fissure. The fissure is now chronic and I’ve had multiple retears over the year.

I’d like to know if I have any grounds to sue the surgeon? I was informed of some risks but certainly never heard of Anal fissure before months after the surgery when I realised that is what I now have. They never explained fissures were a risk, let alone a fissure that doesn’t heal for a whole year and has completely destroyed my life. I signed a consent form but there was no mention of a fissure anywhere.

What’s worse is the surgeons attitude, almost as if he doesn’t care at all and he can’t offer me any solutions.

I want to make him pay for this. His attitude stinks and He’s taken away a year of my life and I still can’t see how I’m going to fix my fissure without further surgery etc, seperate post on this incoming.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Many thanks
thesagacontinues
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Legal action hemmorhoidectomy

Postby patience_and_healing » 04 Apr 2023, 18:15

Malpractice suits are not unheard of, but I'd caution you to get legal advice about whether the cost will be worthwhile. They certainly should have told you that a fissure was a risk of the surgery. Have you had a second opinion on how to heal the fissure?
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby thesagacontinues » 05 Apr 2023, 02:43

Hi patience, thanks for getting back to me.

Yes I’ve since seen another surgeon who gave me Botox 3 months ago.

The problem is I hadn’t figured out a good soft stool diet and good toilet technique at that time; so ended up retearing.

I’m now booked to have another round of Botox on 28th April. I’m hoping this time
Botox + soft stool diet + no pushing on the toilet might do the trick. If not I’m going to do LIS I guess.

Do you think I have a chance to heal this way? I see from your signature you had botox and seem to be healed, are you at 100% now?

Thanks.
Dan
thesagacontinues
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby patience_and_healing » 06 Apr 2023, 11:43

You may heal the second time around. I was able to heal with one round, and I also continued to use the nifedipine ointment while the Botox was active. I am 100% with the old fissure, but had a recurring small anterior one this year, that I recently healed with amerigel.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40