Day 4 after LIS and only 1 BM, Help!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Day 4 after LIS and only 1 BM, Help!

Postby scaredy_butt » 29 Jan 2011, 18:19

I need some advice. I am now day 4 after my LIS (I had it on Tuesday) on Wednesday evening I had my first BM which was a bit too soft and burned quite a lot. I was surprised that it happened so soon after surgery but whatever. But I haven't had anything since! I'm getting a bit uncomfortable and nervous. I've been taking Restoralax daily, but I don't think I've been drinking enough water. I'm contemplating doing a fleet enema when I get home tonight. Any thoughts? I've tried hot liquid 2 mornings in a row with no result. I'm not sure what to do now?
scaredy_butt
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: Day 4 after LIS and only 1 BM, Help!

Postby Guest » 29 Jan 2011, 19:21

Hey S_B,
you may need something a little harsher to get the bm's moving. I was told to take Milk of Magnesia if I didn't go in 3 days. It's not as harsh as some of the stimulant laxatives but works faster than Miralax IMO.

Postby StevePain » 30 Jan 2011, 03:46

Just let things happen, the stool softener will do it's job, if you wasn't taking any supplements then I'd be a bit more worried, also, start drinking more fluids and you'll be sure to go, internal swelling may be hampering BM's, keep taking warm baths 4 times a day and wait for the "I need a poo" signal, it's sure to come, for comfort and ease I'd do it in the bath
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby callmecrazy » 30 Jan 2011, 11:09

If I didn't have a BM by the 4th day, I was instructed to take Milk of Magnesia, and if that didn't work in 12 hours, to take Magnesium Citrate. Luckily for me, I was able to muster up a full BM the morning of the 4th day.

Assuming you resumed normal diet after the surgery, the natural course of your body will take action pretty quickly.
Good luck, scaredy! I know for me, the first few BMs were the worst simply because of the anticipation.
callmecrazy
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Guest » 30 Jan 2011, 12:52

Call,
Now I remember I was also told to take the magnesium citrate if the milk of magnesia didn't do the trick. I couldn't remember what the next step was suppose to be if the MOM didn't work but I knew it was something stronger.

Postby scaredy_butt » 31 Jan 2011, 01:15

Day 5 update:
Last night, after a long day of travelling home and nearly 3 days with no BM, I decided to use a Fleet enema. I had purchased 2 prior to surgery but only used one pre-op so I figured what the heck. It worked well and my stomach was much more comfortable after. There was a tiny bit of bleeding with my BM and I had the burning sensation afterwards, but it was gone when I woke up this morning. I haven't taken any pain killers whatsoever since the evening of day 1 after my first BM. I've had no pain today at all, even went to a birthday party with my son and came home and cleaned the house up a bit for company coming tomorrow. It might sound like I am doing too much, but I can assure you all that I am resting and taking things very easy between these little outings. I asked my husband if he thought it would be OK for me to go to the gym and use the treadmill tonight but he talked me out of it. He said I should wait until the wound stops draining, which hopefully means I've healed. He said "Do you really want that area getting all chaffed while it's healing?" He can be the voice of reason sometimes! How long did you guys wait before resuming gentle excersize?
I've still been using the Restoralax. About 30 mins ago, as I sat watching 90210 (my guilty pleasure) I got an intense bout of cramps and started feeling like I had to go. I didn't feel at all like I wouldn't make it to the toilet but the cramps were pretty intense so I went and sat. With a gentle push a soft BM came almost flying out! There were a few drops of blood right afterwards and a bit of blood on the toilet paper, but not a lot. I hopped right in the bath and now I sit here typing in complete comfort. There was a small amount of pain with the BM but it dissapeared almost immediately. So far, so good. I had started taking half a dose of Restoralax, then then next day I took 3/4, yesterday I forgot to take any and tonight before my BM I took a whole dose thinking that maybe I wasn't taking enough. After seeing the consistency of my BM tonight, I am a little concerned that a whole dose is going to be too much for me and that I may spend much of the day tomorrow on the toilet. We'll see. Live and learn right? Image
Now that period is over I can tell what kind of drainage is coming from my surgical site. I still have 2 3x3 pieces of gauze between my cheeks and I change them every time I go to the bathroom. There is usually a small amount of serous (clear yellowish) discharge on the gauze, about the size of a quarter, sometimes a bit larger. There is sometimes a bit of pinkish blood on the gauze as well, but I'm thinking this is all to be expected. I am feeling very hopeful that the surgery has been successful, even in this short amount of time.
Has anyone ever worried that not enough of the muscle was cut? After surgery, what kind of pushing did you have to do to get your BM out? I have not had any sort of incontinence whatsoever (not even gas) which is great, but also makes me wonder if not enough muscle was cut. I'm probably being crazy, and I know it hasn't been long enough to know what my final results will be, but I just can't believe how easy LIS and skin tag removal has been! Like many of you, I wish I had done it much sooner! Oh well, as they say, "Hindsight is 20/20." I will just be thankful for what I have and keep looking forward with the hope of a full recovery and a life free of my fissures and their troubles!
I hope all you other January LIS-ers and anyone who's had surgery in the last few months are also on the road to recovery. :D
scaredy_butt
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby Bumbutt » 31 Jan 2011, 02:46

Sounds like it's going well! Glad your husband talked you out of going to the gym! You'll have time for that soon! That's just my opinion...
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby Guest » 31 Jan 2011, 10:39

I didn't have to push after LIS but I was on valium, so I was really relaxed. Your swelling may have things a little tight still?!
I'm glad your hubby talked you out of the gym,LOL
Keep taking it easy as much as you can:)
Take care,
Dawn

Postby William » 01 Feb 2011, 19:08

Glad you finally had your BM and are doing well! My first BM was 2 days late, so I know how scary that can be.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby happyass » 02 Feb 2011, 07:47

that is great news scaredy_butt.
i am so happy for you.
maybe treadmill is a bit much but try to do something else that doesn't require too much rubbing of the butt cheeks or if you want to keep your treadmill work super light at first, make sure you have enough gauze down there so that it avoids the anus tissue from rubbing against each other and so that there is moisture control!
if you get to damp/moist down there, then time to change the gauze.
i didin't my BM until day 3 and i did have to do a little tiny effort - which did concern me but it was probably due to the constipation of the meds.
keep up your baths! and fissure diet!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74