3 1/2 months post-op

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: 3 1/2 months post-op

Postby Guest » 10 Feb 2011, 11:36

I may have to share my fame with Happy, Lol
He seems to be doing very well too!! Image
Snakes just creep me out! I can't imagine letting one wrap around my neck Image

Postby StevePain » 10 Feb 2011, 15:39

dawn wrote:Snakes just creep me out! I can't imagine letting one wrap around my neck Image

I would rather have a snake than a huge spidey Image
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 10 Feb 2011, 16:39

Steve, you sound like my son. He screams like a girl when there's a spider near him!

Postby Cagirl » 11 Feb 2011, 22:34

You know Steve, I think you have something there with the firming up the stool. Or at least a nice fluffy Benefiber one. But like Dawn, I'm deathly terrified of stopping the Miralax. But I do think it's too soft and I'm only on half a dose. So I just don't know what to do. Maybe I'll live life on the edge and switch to Benefiber in a week. Dawn, wanna jump on the bandwagon with me? There's safety in numbers, right????
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 12 Feb 2011, 03:52

Cagirl, Dawn, count me in for the "scared to let Miralax leave my side" group! I've been messing around with slightly lower doses recently to see if it makes any difference, and so far reducing the dose a bit hasn't really reduced stool softness much, interestingly (knock on wood!!!), although I haven't had the cajones to make too drastic of a reduction...
Also, on the topic of butt cleanliness: I've been seeing a GI doc for stomach pains recently, and part of his routine physical exam included -- you guessed it -- the ol' butthole finger probe, yay! Anyhow, I obtained a copy of the doc's progress notes from that exam, and it consisted mostly of stuff like "small hemorrhoids," "normal," "no abnormalities," etc. etc., pretty standard stuff, but there was one interesting note that read ... Deformity of anus consistent with prior surgery ... kind of makes me wonder if LIS changes the shape of one's ass so that turds have a greater tendency to linger while exiting the premises? I'm not sure what kind of "deformity" the doc was referring to, and he actually just moved to a hospital in another city, so now I guess I'll never know haha Image Elsewhere in the notes, he did indicate that I had "good sphincter tone" so I guess my deformed anus is still holding up, at least :) Anyway, food (or ass notes) for thought, I suppose.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby PaulsPain » 13 Feb 2011, 17:29

Hey Dawn-
So happy to hear your recovery continues smoothly.
I am also in the firmer stool camp. I take fiber to bulk up the stool to make it easy to pass.
I tried Benefiber and it made things way to soft and messy for me. I have been taking 1/2 dose of Citrucel at bed time for years now with good results. I do plan to try Konsyl once I am out of Citrucel for a more natural supplement.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby Guest » 13 Feb 2011, 21:57

Hey Paul,
Thank you! It's good to hear from you :)
I'm going to try and brave up in a couple of more months and take the fiber, quit the miralax but I'm so afraid I'm going to screw something up.
I know I would feel so much better about putting the fiber supplements in my body than the laxative for the long term.
My daughter took miralax for about a week and swears it causes the leaky butt stuff.

Postby New mum » 14 Feb 2011, 19:52

sorry its been so long between posts but soooo happy for you dawn that eveything is still going well. yes the getting of the miralax is the next big step to recovery good luck i am sure everything will go well maybe you will have to cut the sweets out when starting lol
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Guest » 14 Feb 2011, 20:51

Hey New mum,
Good hearing from you :) I hope you are doing well!!
I'm thinking I'd rather take miralax for the rest of my life than give up sweets, Lol
Have you had any problems with the leakage? Didn't you stop the stool softeners/laxatives right after your surgery and just take the fiber supplements?

Postby desperatehousewife » 14 Feb 2011, 21:34

Putting my 2 cents in about the "millionwipers", lol.
I had that problem too and just solved it a couple of weeks ago. Benefibre made my stools too sticky as my crs suggested. Once I switched to metamucil (1 tablespoon twice daily) it went away because my stools were bulkier. Hope that helps!
desperatehousewife
Salt Bather

Topics: 10